Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Tryin to stay on topic Orv, but there is a good reason those LP compartments don't have floors. Valves fail, relief valves relieve, slide relays arc, landing gear motors spark......makes discussion about venting batteries to the outside seem trivial.
I don't see a problem with my setup. I also have my inverter in the front compartment and the front compartment has enough fresh air coming into it due to the floor not completely covering the area. If I had liquid filled batteries then I'd be a little worried. But with the AGM batteries, there is no gas give off. I wouldn't be able to have my inverter in the same location with the batteries if the batteries were normal liquid filled batteries, due to the gases given off by them. I caution everyone who is considering those 6-volt golf cart batteries to remember that they give off gases just like the 12-volt type.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #22
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Most safety gurus deem propane more dangerous than 12v batteries, at least in the marine environment. There, you can have the batteries inside, but the propane tank must be outside the cabin and vented directly overboard with the vent under the tank.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #23
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Guess as long as part of the floor is open so the LP can escape. Just don't want it in a sealed compartment.

Must have been one set of heavy batteries to get set in there!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #24
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
For a great site on general information regarding batteries see http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/
You will also see on this site the wire requiriments for DC. I would never use 10awg for batteries. In fact I would recommend 2/0awg provided the length is less than 18".
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote