Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Leaky Shower, 2'nd time

When we got our 2955 the first time we used the shower it flooded the storage compartment. We took it back and it was fixed by the stealership. Apparently they fixed this with an extra dab of plumbers putty and nothing else cause it's leaking like crazy.

I remember seeing posts here giving details on how to fix this properly but they have all apparently expired and gone to the great archive in the sky.

So here's my question. I took the drain assembley apart and there was no rubber washer on the underside of the shower pan, no goop, no seal, nothing. Should there be nice cushy rubber washer between the retainer nut and the underside of the shower like there would be in a residental drain? I kinda sorta remember reading that parts may have been left out during assembley.

Thanks,
Muddypaws

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If I remember right, there should be a rubber washer right under the shower drain where it goes through the floor of the shower. Mine has one and also has just a light coating of DAP bathtub/shower caulk with it for good measure. I don't remember if there is a rubber washer on the bottom side of the shower where the nut tightens up or not, but it wouldn't hurt. Mine hasn't leaked there since being removed and replaced with a metal strainer with new rubber washer and tightened up good. In our rig, the space right under the drain causes stress on the drain because it (the space) is not directly under the drain but just a little offset. But we made it fit anyway by cutting away a little of the subflooring with a keyhole saw.

Don't know if this helps you or not but maybe it'll give you some ideas. I'm sure there will be someone else along that may be able to give you more info. It's too bad the dealer (or stealership as you put it) didn't use more pains to permanently fix the leak.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
In our case, it was a lack of caulking where the glass sides met the tub on the side closest to the driver side. The dealer kept thinking it was the drain, but I discovered differently.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:52 AM   #4
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
In our case there was no sealer under the faucet assembly. A little plumbers putty fixed it.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We had a small leak around shower bottom, a year ago. It was the plumbing under the shower. After tightening a fitting no more leaks.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:24 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the OEM drain replaced with a quality drain intended for installation in a motor home. Have not had a leak... We replaced the drain with a drain assembly intended for a Winnebago motor home. It is metal with a rubber gasket top and bottom...Nary a leak.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Our leak in the shower showed up after we started using the unit for more than a couple of days at a time. The basement was wet under the shower. I had noticed that the putty around the drain seemed to be coming out prior to that. ANYWAY: When they put the shower in, the drain hole did not line up with the hole in the floor, so they put it in anyway and tightened it down. DUH I guess that shows the intellegence of the worker that did it or just did not care and did not want to fix it and do it right. I got my drill and a big drill and made the hole in the floor larger to line up with the shower drain first. Then found out the furnace return was in the way by about 3/8 of an inch. I called my dealer and relayed the problem to him. He said to do whatever and we would fix it when we got home. I used the hammer to bend in the furnace return. After that the drain fit straight down and no pressure to cause it to be bent sideways. Since then, no problems with the drain. Looked to me like an engineering screwup. Whatever, it works and works right and it did not hurt the furnace return. Hope you have this good of luck.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
We have the garden tub, mine leaked at the drain. After several attempts with putty, I decided there was too much flex in the shower pan and went to a double rubber gasket, one on top and one on bottom. Two months not a problem. Steve
mtkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Thanks everyone. I re-putty'd it today and it seems to be holding water. I thought about going the double gasket route but didn't know if it would work. Seems like you'd have to use some sort of sealant on the gasket/tub mating surface, and maybe even on the gasket/drain surface.

So I guess I'll be carrying plumbers putty from now on, and Goop, maybe a spare drain assembley, some 1 1/2" rubber gaskets, 14 sizes of pipe wrenches, an assistant......

Be prepared!
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
mdklek
Established Member

M.O.C. #5514
Send a message via AIM to mdklek
I have taken mine to the dealer and they simply caulked around the base. Guess what ... still leaks into the basement. Really hard to determine where it is coming from. Either the drain area (as some have posted here) or where the glass meets the (exterior) wall. Looks like it is sealed. Dealer had my rig over 4 weeks and did not fix half of what was needed, so I need to figure this out myself somehow. Any ideas would be appreciated.
mdklek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:07 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We took our rig into Carlsbad RV Service in Carlsbad, NM for the same problem in December. They found that our drain was bad and they replaced it with a quality one (just like Richfaa did) and then caulked all around the bottom of the walls where the walls meet the base of the shower. They also caulked around the glass with clear sealant. So far we haven't seen a single drip. So, I'd recommend you change the drain to a quality one and get a tube of caulk designed for tubs and showers. It's really an inexpensive fix...unless you go to a service shop.

Orv
Old 01-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #12
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
How do you take the drain apart, mine leaks too??
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mpl897

How do you take the drain apart, mine leaks too??
I don't know how yours is installed, but I have access to my shower drain from underneath in the basement. Mine has an "S" trap in the basement directly under the shower beneath the floor. There is a large nut on the bottom of the shower drain that you have to remove. I was able to remove mine with a screwdriver a little nudging. It was too loose. There is a special tool that you can use to remove it and reinstall it, I just didn't have one.

You can do it, it's one of those "It's so easy a caveman can do it" things.

Orv
Old 01-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
mdklek - You can determine if your drain is leaking by running water on the shower pan for a few minutes, keeping the walls and glass dry. If you don't find any water around the drain, try running water around the shower pan and wall joint for a while. If all is still dry underneath, run some water on the glass. Hopefully you will be able to determine where the water leak is.

Don
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #15
mdklek
Established Member

M.O.C. #5514
Send a message via AIM to mdklek
I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. I know it is not the drain. Must be the area around the glass. Still under warrenty, so I will let the dealer (try) and figure it out.
mdklek is offline   Reply With Quote