Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hip Replacement

Well the doctor said I was a good candidate for a replacement. The X-Ray shows NO separation whatsoever between the socket and ball. This means bone on bone. The doctor want me to lose some weight before he operates. That means in a couple of months I'll be going under the knife for a complete hip replacement.

Not looking forward to that process but understand it will reduce or eliminate the pain. That will be nice.

I'll gladly accept any success stories!

Take care.

Dennis

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well Dennis my wife sharon has had both hips done in about 1993 or 94 and now both have been replaced this past year as they wear out sooner or later, its not like god made them these only last average 7 to 11 years ,,, good luck and a fast recovery,, its a lot better than a new shoulder as i have had 2 of those , hips are only about 8 weeks and you are out doing almost what you want ,,, almost ,,,,,,,,,,,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Man, them doctors will do anything to get us to loose weight. Hip replacement, who would have thought.

Dennis, I have never had one, but I have met many who have and they are doing fabulous. Everything I have hear, the therapy is worth the time to feel better. Good luck to you and prayers will be with you when the time comes - heck, even now.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have run across a fair number of people who recovered well from that surgery. Rehab was the key. Better materials are now being used. Expect all to go well.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Dennis, I'm with ya bud. I get my right hip done Oct 8th. Not really looking forward to it, but I've got to get it done. I can't walk with DW. I can't stand for any length of time. At the store, I need a shopping cart to hold onto for support. I'll keep ya posted.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Well you have a little time to train Bandit and Buddy to fetch you things. Of course it would probably be chewed by the time it got to you!! LOL In all seriousness, I wish you well and hope you can get in shape so rehab won't be too strenuous. That swimming pool would be a good place to start walking. Good exercise and less weight bearing. Lots of positive thoughts coming your way.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thank you to all. I appreciate your taking the time to post your concern.

Don,

Wow! I'm sorry to hear you, too, are having to have a replacement! Best of luck to you. You'll probably get yours before I get mine so I'll expect lots of reporting from you.

Myrna,

I think B & B are about as "trained" as they're going to be! And they still enjoy the chewing. But not nearly as much as they used to.

Sailer,

Wow! Sharon has had both of them done twice! I'm glad to hear that she has done so well but sorry to hear she had to go through it two times. That story gives me some real hope. Thanks.

And again..... thanks to all who have replied.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Hi Dennis,

You will wonder why you did not have it done sooner..........I do not know what your history is. My husband had his done when he was in so much pain he could hardly walk. He had bad hips for years. It did not take him long to recuperate. If you lived closer, I would give you a couple walkers. Good luck with your weight loss. Karen and John
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:25 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dennis, medical technology is advancing so fast in this area that it is unbelievable. In two months the technology will be even better than now. I just read an article on sports injuries and how they ended some athletes' careers a decade ago, and how these same injuries - including Bo Jackson's debilitating, career ending hip problem - can be fixed and the professional athlete returned to action quickly and even better than before.

IIRC it was on Sports Illustrated's web site...

*On Edit~ I am having a total shoulder replacement next Thu (28th).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:03 AM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Dennis, Sharon's mother had her hip replaced and did her re-hab at our house. She had literally no pain and was up and about very quickly. Just be careful to follow all the instructions that they give you and we will see you up and running in Q.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:15 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dennis, we will be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery. My Mother had both, my one aunt one, my uncle both and another aunt both. Mother and Aunt Thelma had a second round because the materials used 25 years ago are not as good as today's. Do you see a pattern in our family? I know that I will be doing this in the next few years. Everyone in our family did great except for the one aunt who wouldn't follow doctor's orders! So that is the key to a successful recovery.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:45 AM   #12
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Dennis,
wow, free of pain at last! or at least reduced! You really have to be looking forward to that! One of Mels best friends has had both of his hips replaced and even had one re-done a couple of years ago, as mentioned previously, they don't last forever. But he has never regretted having them done and has always said he wished he had it done earlier, also he said the recovery really depends on how much you work in the phys. therapy part of it. Reading the above posts, looks like your in good company with a lot of resources to choose from. Good luck.

Joy
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #13
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Wonderful news, actually, Dennis. Been hoping for a way for you to not be in pain, and glad to hear this may be it. Hoping you will be able to come to Q, wouldn't be the same without you guys. If need be we can help with your therapy while there, and keep you moving. Anything we can do to help, just let us know. That, of course, goes for Mary Kay too. We're brilliant at walking dogs
hugs and well wishes.
Sharon and Bob
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Dennis, you'll be dancing in no time. That's assuming you know how to dance now!!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #15
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Hip recovery is not as painful as knee recovery. Lose that wt and have it done. You will be very pleased.

Dick
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #16
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Dennis Hope you have good recovery. My wife is going to have knee replacement in Oct. sometime. She needs both knees done. She will find out just when in Sept.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #17
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I am sure you will benefit from the surgery. My wife's aunt had two knees done at once. My mother in law had a hip replacement and has NO MORE PAIN. Medical marvels.

Good luck on the weight loss too.

Gene and Judi
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #18
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Dennis , Congratulations on the up-coming Hip Replacement I say that because I HAD MY LEFT HIP REPLACED about 8 years ago, they had me up with a walker in 2 days!!! But as you have observed I have no problems, no pain and have been skiing with our grandkids ever since. AS someone has mentioned already, the KEY is taking it SLOW and doing EXACTLY what the doc tells you .I know for a fact that you are a good listener and will probably win our Quartzsite Marathon !!!! In our prayers,, Dave & Kelly
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #19
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Will this get you off that scooter? We wish you the best!! Jena and I both started on the "Idiot Diet". We just finished the first 11 days (you are "on" 11 days, then get 3 "free" days if you want them, then go back on 11 days, etc.). I lost 10 lbs and Jena lost 13. I'm sure she's put more back on yesterday and today than I did because she's been hitting the peanut M&Ms!! If you're looking for a diet, you may want to google "Idiot Diet" or "Diet for Idiots". It really works and doesn't leave you starving - you eat 4 meals a day of foods you choose from a list and quit when you are "somewhat full". The foods are eaten in wierd combinations, though, to "shock" your metabolism.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #20
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
My Dad had his right knee done 5 years ago. He is having is left knee done on October 7th. While this is not a hip, my Dad has had a good result with his first knee. Rehab is the key!! We'll pray that everything goes well for you.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote