Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Question Big Sky Laundry

Would be interested in learning what this dryer shelf is made of and constructed with in the new Big Sky. I would like to construct the same in our 3400, and it would help to know what the materials used were and the anchor points inside the closet.

Don't think I'll get a chance to see one in CO this year anyway, but I really like the design. It takes some of the stress off the wash machine floor bolts when not stacked, and you can easily reach in to access the outlets and valves for winterizing or whatever.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Brad, Having removed my 80 pound Zenith tube TV, I was amazed how light a shelf was used to support that TV in my 06 2955RL. A 2"x4" frame built with the 4" dimension in the vertical position would be fine as long as it was supported on something substantial and I would use something like 2"x2" legs going right down to the floor to support this shelf if I was building it to support a clothes dryer. The frame I installed to support my 35 pound LCD TV was probably 10 times stronger than that particle board junk shelf that was holding up the 80 pound Zenith and very few people would go as light as the factory does with some of the stuff inside RVs. This is industry wide and not just Keystone. When you start taking these things apart it is amazing how flimsey they are made in some areas.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I agree Don - I'd probably overbuild it. I was thinking that nice piece of oak trim across the front was hiding a 2X4, but then thought probably not. I'll bet there ain't a 2X4 anywhere to be found at the Keystone plant.

I was hoping to actually catch the aluminum frame in the walls (corners maybe) so I didn't have to have exposed legs.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Have now been timed out two more times. But I was smart enough to save my second attempt.

Tried to post this once and got timed out. Back to the real message. Glad you started this one Brad...Inquiring minds are waiting anxiously. I am interested in the strength of the support shelf since we must take into account not only the actual weight of the machine but also the forces generated by the rotation of the drying drum. Finding the anchor points will be crucial. Glad that you have already communicated (as noted elsewhere) with Keystone on this one.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Brad use anything you want for the top shelf (veneer "xyz type thick" whatever makes you happy). Make the structure out of 2x2 metal studs actually it could be 1x2 that is also used for suspended flooring in computer rooms. Then cover it with crown molding on 3 sides and a valence in front. Metal is far superior in strength and its smaller size will help in this tight area thus making the trim noticeable but not overwhelming. I'll ask a friend of mine what are the exact sizes and strengths. I haven't done any metal stud work in 15 yrs so a little rusty on the dimensions.
Hope this makes you think wouldn't want to waste that gray matter! HA ha
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Brad. Also wanted info on this. We are looking at the Ariston Splendide stackables - or maybe the Kenmores - and noticed this shelf in Glenn and Lorraine's 3485SA at the Tampa Show. It will be a "must have" before installing any stackable. I will be following this thread with extreme interest.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Just a note to those who end up posting the same message more than once. You can easily delete the extras by opening the post and clicking on the delete trash can just above the post. It will only delete the one you opened, not all that say the same thing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Yup Stiles--it works great and I never knew it was there. Unfortunately it also bumped me out of a full days worth of active topics which I was trying to plow through--but what the hey...
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote