Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
bandit
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12000
2015 Montana 3611 tank gauges inoperative

A few weeks ago I posted a thread after finding evidence of a rat in the belly of our RV resulting in tail light problems. Following advice from the responses I found and repaired a wire completely chewed into. We are now noticing all tank gauges show empty which is not correct thus now figure the rat has chewed more wires. If anyone has any experience or advice on how to trace these wires I would greatly appreciate it. BTW I caught the rat. Also wondering if I could turn this in to my insurance company and take it to a dealer.

bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First place I would look is where the wires come up from the belly somewhere under the display. It would seem logical the rat found them all in one place rather than chewed them individually. Doesn't mean it didn't, just where I would start.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
From the control panel you have a 5 conductor ribbon cable that goes down to the belly. It goes to the black tank first then it drops one conductor at each tank. The white and blue go to the fresh water tank. The white is the ground and goes to each tank. Therefore it would have to be in the ribbon cable or the control unit has gone bad.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Likely not the wiring making the gauges fail at all. It is a common problem for these gauges not work from the beginning or for a short time only due to the type of probes inside the tank.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Likely not the wiring making the gauges fail at all. It is a common problem for these gauges not work from the beginning or for a short time only due to the type of probes inside the tank.
You are correct on the gauges only working for a short time when new although I don't think that is his problem because his gauges are showing empty, not full or partially full due to probe problems.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Oldsoldier
Established Member

M.O.C. #20018
Type of probes plus poopy buildup! But you are spot on. Gauges never work for long. Even if you follow good procedures and backflush.
Oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
Oldsoldier
Established Member

M.O.C. #20018
Showing empty is not abnormal. But yes, showing full is most normal. Those poop gremlins can do some strange things! I have had empty readings even when you can see the level at the top (mostly water when I fill the tank to get a really good flush. Then full after I get a complete discharge from the black tank running clear. Darned poop gremlins! Making an irksome job even worse!
Old 07-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
It is pretty crappy when things don't work. Just say in.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #9
Oldsoldier
Established Member

M.O.C. #20018
Aa we daid in the Army: "poop happens and then you die!" (Didn't say "poop" but must be polite). Nothing mechanical or electrical works all the time. Just saying!
Old 07-05-2017, 07:01 AM   #10
Oldsoldier
Established Member

M.O.C. #20018
In case you didn't know, there are probes you can install without drilling into tanks or other drastic measures. They reportedly work much better than builders install. They are taped onto the tank and measure levels by temperature variations. Never tried them. I simply dump the black tank at least once per week....and more often in high heat. In hot areas, black tanks can get really rank fast! And if my wife leaves the exhaust fan on while flushing, (baadddd idea) she gets hit with "the methane blues". I leave the gray tanks open all the time until the day before we set up to leave to flush the hose.