Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2005, 01:22 PM   #21
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We are spending our second night in Cortez, CO, near the entrance to Mesa Verde National Park. Tomorrow we will move on to Sante Fe. For any who might be interested, here is another set of photos:

http://dwilliamson.com/FourCorners/Page.html

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. Looks like you two are enjoying your trip very much.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We, too, are enjoying the pictures you do a great job of taking them and then presenting them. Thank you for sharing. I love that area of our country. When we visited Mesa Verde and got around the actual dwellings..... I felt a connection with the peoples that had done all this. What a talented group of folks it must have taken to do what they did. Very impressive. We're going again someday.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:28 AM   #24
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great pictures, padre. What program are you using to display them?

Does anyone have an opinion of which rim is the best place to see the Grand Canyon? After we leave the Rally we'd like to see the Canyon and maybe that late date will dictate that we go to the South rim. Any info?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:23 PM   #25
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
To all our gracious friends, thank you for your comments about our photos.

Now to friend, jrgwdenner, and anyone else who might be interested, here is my process:

1. The photos are digital to begin with. A little Olympus 2.1 megapixel I've had for several years.

2. I have used ThumbsPlus, an image management program for years. I use it to review the photos and select the ones I want to post on the internet.

3. Using ThumbsPlus, I reduce the photos, usually to 50% so they will not be so long in downloading for those who visit the web, and for my own uploading.

4. ThumbsPlus also has a nice "Web Wizard" which I have been using for the thumbnails and the web pages. It does a pretty good job as long as you keep it simple.

5. We are fortunate to have our own domain (in fact two of them: dwilliamson.com and dw4u.net). They are hosted by our daughter's internet business in Buena Vista, CO.

6. I use a free FTP program to connect with the server in Colorado and upload the URLs and the JPGs. The photos then appear as you have seen them using the URL that I post for the first page.

NOTE: This really only works when we have a good connection. We have been fortunate to have WIFI at the last couple of places we have stayed. For instance, we are in Santa Fe, NM tonight and have and excellent and FREE WIFI connection at the Rancheros de Santa Fe Campground.

One of my friends used to say, "You ask David what time it is, and he will give us a full diagram and discription of the watch!"
Old 07-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #26
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That sounds too complicated for me, padre. I think I'll stick with Blogspot which is only point and click and free. Your method sure gives a nice presentation though.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:16 PM   #27
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
David
Where did you acquire ThumbsPlus? And are you going anywhere else in NM? We want to go to the Hot Air Balloon festival and are wondering about campgrounds.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:36 PM   #28
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Sue and Ed, Here is the URL for Cerious, the source for ThumbsPlus. I think they offer a trial version. I have had it for several years and through several revisions. It is one of the programs I use most; probably because I started with it and have grown accustomed to the way it works. Here is the address:

http://www.cerious.com/

Unfortunately, this will be our only night in New Mexico on this trip. We enjoyed a visit to Sante Fe this afternoon and a delightful New Mexican dinner at "The Shed" just off the plaza in Sante Fe. And we have a wonderful site in the Rancheros de Sante Fe RV Park with FREE WIFI and FREE cable TV. Plus we are located right at the intersection of our highway down to Clines Corners and I40. We will move on down through Amarillo to either Goodlett, TX or Vernon, TX where at each place we have campgrounds we are familiar with. Then on Sunday we will make it all the way home.

We have never camped in Albquerque, so we have no insight into the campgrounds there. This ares of New Mexico is one of our favorite parts of the country (Albquerque, Jemez, Sante Fe, Taos, Chama) but our experience here goes back far before our "Montana Days". I'm sure you would enjoy a visit especially if you have never been here before.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:54 PM   #29
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
David if you're interested in a very nice park off the beaten trail there is a nice one near Vllaneuva, NM. It is a state park with electric and water hookups. It is located right on the Pecos River. We stayed there and we look forward to going back someday. We only stayed one night but a few days stay would be needed to explore the area. It is on one of the old Conquistadors trails.

If you are interested in staying there let me know and I'll get the particulars for you.

Dennis

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:26 PM   #30
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
HamRad, Thanks but we only had one night to spend in New Mexico this time and that was at Santa Fe (Rancheros de Santa Fe Campground). We will keep your note in mind for future trips.

Tonight we are back home after 17 days on the road and 8 states (I think) and almost 4000 miles. I'll add one last post to this topic tomorrow, but for tonight.....

The past three months (May, June, July) we have spent 44 of those days in our Montana, traveled over 10,000 miles and passed through 22 states. We are not full timers, but we do use our Montana every once in a while.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #31
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Can you guys tell me were Red Rock RV park is in Idaho? I live in Idaho and have never heard of it. It is probably one of those "DA" answers.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:23 AM   #32
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Here are some nearby landmarks: Island Park is the general area, but that, of course, is very general. Heading south on 20 just past the entrance to Henry Lake State Park--several miles before you get to Mack's Inn--there is a paved road to the west. It is called both "Red Rock Pass Road" and "Bootjack Pass Road". The "exit" is about 15 miles south of West Yellowstone, MT, and the park is about 5 more miles down that paved road. The pavement ends about a mile west of the campground, but goes on over Red Rock Pass back into Montana.

Does this help?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:08 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Paul, it's at the south end of Henry's Lake, not far from the state park (not sure of the name). It's roughly half way between West Yellowstone, MT, and Island Park, ID. If you are looking at the trailer life directory it's listed under Island Park, ID. Here's a url to their website, too. PRobably shows you better where they are.
http://www.8004redrock.com/
Old 08-03-2005, 06:16 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sorry, Padre. I brought this page up quite awhile before replying so your post was not there to see of I'd probably not have posted.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:39 AM   #35
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Padredw and Steve, Thanks for the info. We were just in West Yellowstone and stayed at Lyonshead RV Park. We have stayed there before using our Passport America, but during the heavy season they would not let us use it and it was expensive, or at least what I thought. I know just about were you are talking about as far as the area goes. Thanks again.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote