Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2019, 02:20 PM   #21
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
I like islands:

St Martin
St Thomas
St Lucia
Barbados
Bahamas
Etc.

I'll add Turks and Caicos

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #22
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Our kitchen slide is on the same side as the door. If we can put the steps down, there is enough room to put out that slide and access the fridge.

The front kitchen units are very nice, but they lack the basement storage space found in the other units. That would be a deal breaker for us.

Everyone has different priorities. This is why there are so many floor plans.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #23
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Our 3440RL has an island which we like and also with the slid in we can open both freezer doors and one side of the refrigerator. Works for us.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #24
edbales
Established Member

M.O.C. #17173
Send a message via Yahoo to edbales
Kitchen Island

We are also anti-island. If you are on the road a lot and you stop for lunch or or stay at Walmarts or truck stops, access to fridge, sink, and stove are essential for us. I have had a number of different rigs. We shopped a number of years ago and and nearly gave up. We found a gently used 2010 3605RL. We have access to almost everything while going down the road. Just put out the bed slide and go to sleep. We now would consider replacing this one but cannot find one that works as well.
edbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #25
chittumbark

M.O.C. #13241
Us too. 2008 3605rl. Our first 5er, got lucky on the floor plan.
chittumbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #26
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
Two things I never really wanted in a camper were an island and outdoor kitchen. My HC 345rl has both. Bought it because it was a good deal on a leftover 17. Still not completely sold on the island but, I can get one door on the residential fridge open when slide is in. As for the outdoor kitchen, it’s great. I can keep food and snacks in it and I would imagine even do some cooking at a rest stop if needed.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #27
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
I don't think your dislike of kitchen islands is weird at all. They add a lot of storage and counter space and allow for those really big sinks, however they have their drawbacks.

We just purchased our first 5th wheel, and looked at several makes and models. I swear, they all have the same few floor plans, and almost every one features a kitchen island. To your point, they are almost impossible to avoid on a new rig. Give it a year or two and that may change.

I am happy with the floor plan we have. One of our requirements for the new RV was to have the utility of the rig available for quick use at a rest stop or road side. Coming from a Vintage Airstream (read compact, but highly functional floor plan with no slides), open the door, slide out one little step, and you had access to everything. We did not want to loose that, but realized we would have to compromise somewhat.

We ended up with a Montana 3120RL. It has massive (compared to what we are used to) living space when set up and fully puffed out, yet has full refrigerator access, some accessible cabinet space around the hutch and full bathroom access when closed up for travel. The bedroom is workable as well with slides closed.

Normally, we intend to get into a park, unhook, hit the level button, open everything up, plug in and enjoy! Even for an overnight. However, with a little bit of planning to stash key stuff in accessible places, we are comfortable we can easily do a quick overnight without opening up the slides if that were to be necessary.
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #28
Blackshadow
Established Member

M.O.C. #14521
Send a message via AIM to Blackshadow Send a message via MSN to Blackshadow Send a message via Yahoo to Blackshadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
we have to open our slide about 20" to access the fridge, I'm aware of this so when i pull into the rest area, i take an end slot or hug the line on one side, we have never been unable to open a slide, its not a big deal to us
Agreed, we have 3750FL, and backdoor access to bathroom slides and full kitchen for quick cooking. We do as suggested above to put out dining or bedroom for sleeping or a nap. Works great! NO ISLAND or dishwasher for two for us.
Blackshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #29
mike H.
Established Member

M.O.C. #23202
You can access the refrigerator and bathroom in the 3120/21RL and it has an island.
mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #30
samroll
Established Member

M.O.C. #22485
One of the top reasons we also bought a 3582! Fridge and bathroom accessible with slides in.

2012 Montana 3582RL
2013 Ford F350SD King Ranch Dually
samroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #31
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
That's why we haven't traded in our 05 3670 Big Sky - No Island and separate sizable toilet room all accessible with the Slides in.
No new Floorplans we've seen are like it. Some Islands are so long and now even some Fireplaces are 55" long to match the TVs... looks goofy to us.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #32
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
Same with my DW...caveat is we have to open 2 slides to access the fridge/kitchen area(as you do too)! With that said we do LOVE our rear kitchen units!!!
I also have a rear kitchen and love it.
The time is approaching to replace it and I have not been excited about the options.
I currently have a Montana 3000RK
Razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #33
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
This is a strange thread, why not just buy what you want, pretty simple.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #34
mike H.
Established Member

M.O.C. #23202
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
This is a strange thread, why not just buy what you want, pretty simple.

Exactly what I was thinking.
mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #35
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
We don't have an island, but a u shaped kitchen. We can get to the fridge/use the entire bathroom and sleep in the bed with all slides closed. We can also add water to the fresh tank via a water jug. They should have left well enough alone. Sometimes old school is better. Its all about the BLING now. Why on earth you would want to control anything from your smart phone while sitting around the camp fire is beyond me.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #36
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
We don't have an island, but a u shaped kitchen. We can get to the fridge/use the entire bathroom and sleep in the bed with all slides closed. We can also add water to the fresh tank via a water jug. They should have left well enough alone. Sometimes old school is better. Its all about the BLING now. Why on earth you would want to control anything from your smart phone while sitting around the camp fire is beyond me.
You are missing out on the fun. just borrow their phone and turn on and off lights for them. Maybe run the awning out.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote