Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
tomgasta

M.O.C. #19968
50 Amp, 30 Amp and 15/20 Amp AC Power Problem!

I just purchased a 2017 3820FK Montana. While at the dealer, we had them connect the AC Power (50 Amp) to work some of the AC only items. It was all working fine, including both Air Conditioners. When I got home, I purchased a 50 to 30 Amp Adapter and a 30 to 20/15 Adapter. In using my outlets at the House and Shop, and using the 2 adapters, I am unable to get the 120 volt, 15/20 Amp power to the RV using the new Shore Line.

In using a Voltmeter, everything looks right. I have 120 volts through the Extension Cord, through the 20 amp to 30 amp Adapter. We had 120 on both "Hot" plugs using the "Ground" pin. Then I plugged in the Shore Line from the 30 Amp to 50 Amp cable and now had 120 VAC on ground to TWO of the 3 pins on the end of the Shore Line Cable. I expected this as the 30 to 50 adapter only powers 2 of the 3 plugs on the 50 Amp cable. However, when plugging the Shore Line into the Montana, there seems to have no AC power in the RV. NOTE: This RV has the "Generator Prep" but does not have the generator yet. Could this be a problem with the Transfer Switch??

I was only wanting to run lower current to test some of the things in the RV. Like TVs, Satellite Dish, etc. No Air Conditioning, No fridge, etc. It really didn't matter because there was no power at all.

Anybody have any ideas? I looked at all the fuses and breakers in the Panel in the RV, everything looks fine.

Thanks,

Tom and Stacey

tomgasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
I also have a 3820FK with generator in front. I normally set up my unit with a 110 extension cord from the garage with the step down adapters as you described. I even turn on one of the AC sometimes (no other items in the unit) for function check. The only thing that comes to mind is the shore line plug has two 110 circuits that should never have power applied when inserting it into your unit. The insertion and twisting to the right to seat it has a warning for this process. Was the gen prep done after the dealer showed you the appliances? If so, maybe the prep had something to do with it. Sorry, I can't offer anything useful as I am still finding my way around my unit.
Dusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
A properly made 30 to 50 amp adapter takes the single hot leg and splits it to feed both hot legs coming out at the 50 amp end. You should have two energized legs at the twist lock connector, but when checking the two legs with a volt meter, you will read zero volts, because they are the same leg and there is no voltage that can be measured. Forget even thinking about any of the fuses when you are dealing with the 120 volt system, because the fuses are strictly for the 12 volt side. When making the twist lock connection with your shore cable, it should be done when not energized so you don't trip breaker feeding the outlet you are plugged into.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I am about to hook my unit to an extension cord like yours I will get pictures of the setup and show you what pins should have power to neutral and ground.

It can be confusing when checking with a meter because you will have 120V from several pins to several other pins on the RV end of you cord.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

When testing the power plug for your Montana with a voltage meter after using the 15 amp to 30 amp adapter then the 30 amp to 50 amp dog bone.

You will have no voltage between L1 and L2.

You will have 120V from L1 to ground and from L1 to neutral.

You will have 120V from L2 to ground and from L2 to neutral.

You will not have voltage from ground to Neutral.

If any of these are not correct when you check your plug then you have something wired wrong. If you are using all store bought cords and adapters then you may have either a missing ground or neutral in the wall receptacle you are using.

Phil P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maint-power-plug-2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	323  
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
tomgasta

M.O.C. #19968
Hello All,

I did some checking inside the RV and found that all of my wiring and Adapters were all fine. Unfortunately, I followed the Shore Power to the front of the RV where there is a Automatic Transfer Switch. This was behind a wall inside the Passenger Side front door for storage. When removing a part of that "wall", I found the Transfer Switch Box. With using my Shore Cable and the 2 adapters, and with a voltmeter, I found Hot 1 and Hot 2 of the Shore Line in the Transfer Switch had the same 120VAC, BUT, the Load side of the Transfer Switch has no power. In a discussion with the Transfer Switch Manufacturer says the Transfer Switch is Defective.

So all the checking and measuring of Volt Meter for all the cables and Adapters were fine, a Keystone Failure in day 2 of ownership, hope it is not the beginning of more!

Also for anyone else using this Transfer Switch. a Progressive Dynamics, Inc PD52 Automatic Transfer Switch, Keystone/Montana, the Transfer Switch is NOT MOUNTED the right way that the manufacturer wanted them. I will ask about that more tomorrow!

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Progressive Dynamics Transfer Switch PD5200 warranty.pdf (1.58 MB, 114 views)
tomgasta is offline   Reply With Quote