Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
mbwilson
Established Member

M.O.C. #20758
cover or no cover?

Recommendations on whether or not to put a cover on my 5th wheel? Will it create a moisture problem or any other problems? Thanks for any recommendations

mbwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I've heard of moisture issues, my neighbor put one on his last year, i mentioned it to him, sure enough, he had a musty/moldy aroma when he opened it up in the spring. I notice this season, it is uncovered. ymmv

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
geobet
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19170
Guess it depends on where you live. I've had RV's for 40 years and my experience, here in Florida, is that they cause more trouble than protection. In this hot, humid climate, I've had mold grow on the roof along with bugs and frogs (how the heck they get up there is a mystery). Then there's wind. Last cover I had on my SOB, parked next to my shop, was ripped to pieces by a summer storm. Plus, you can't ever strap then down enough to keep them from flapping against the trailer. My 2 cents is to just wash and wax several times a year and forget the cover. With our summer sun, heat and humidity I haven't had any problems and I have had better luck with that approach than trying to fight putting a cover on this beast.
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Before we went full time, the wind in Kansas kept us from wanting one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
I have covered the last 2 new units I have owned every year for the past 10 years, with NO issues at all. I did always leave my roof vents cracked open about 1/3 of the way, (with vent covers) to help keep an even temp in unit to prevent moisture/mildew issues. I also bought the nice cover ADCO with the Tyvek roof membrane, cost more but lasted well for me in central Ohio.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
Guess it depends on where you live. I've had RV's for 40 years and my experience, here in Florida, is that they cause more trouble than protection. In this hot, humid climate, I've had mold grow on the roof along with bugs and frogs (how the heck they get up there is a mystery). Then there's wind. Last cover I had on my SOB, parked next to my shop, was ripped to pieces by a summer storm. Plus, you can't ever strap then down enough to keep them from flapping against the trailer. My 2 cents is to just wash and wax several times a year and forget the cover. With our summer sun, heat and humidity I haven't had any problems and I have had better luck with that approach than trying to fight putting a cover on this beast.
Same experience with us
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I would recommend building or paying for a covered parking spot vice buying a cover.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
mbwilson
Established Member

M.O.C. #20758
thanks for all the info
mbwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
Waricha
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20684
If you are looking to cover in the winter, use a RV cover that is suited for that purpose and you can't go wrong because they "breathe." If you use just a tarp, you may have issues with moisture buildup and mold.
Waricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
Jts140
Established Member

M.O.C. #13958
I have keep both of my last units covered here in SW Florida. The last one I sold looked brand new after 4 years when I sold it. My current 2014 Montana looks still brand new, it is painted and I do have it waxed professional every six months. I do try to use my unit at least once a month for a long weekend. I noticed the difference between my covered unit and my other friends unit who don't cover theirs. The Florida sun eats up all rubber and plastic on the campers. I go thru a cover every two years. I rode out Hurricane IRMA and only had small tears at the corners. We were about 45 miles north of the eye.

Placing the cover on and off is a big chore. I am 50 yrs old and in good athletic shape, run and bike several times a week. I could not see the average guy in his 60s doing this. Its a pain in the butt...
Jts140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
greische
Established Member

M.O.C. #20532
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwilson View Post
Recommendations on whether or not to put a cover on my 5th wheel? Will it create a moisture problem or any other problems? Thanks for any recommendations
I live in Penna and cover mine every winter. It is covered right now. I do, however, have a good cover, the Adco Classic (I think). It is the 2 tone tan one. It has plenty of vents and the cover breathes. I used it for 7 winters on my SOB I just trades and this is the first winter on my new HC. I have never had mildew or moisture issues. People get these issues if they try covering a trailer with a regular tarp. They do not breathe and hold the moisture in
18K/20K Pull Rite slider using Ford Factory puck system
greische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #12
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I cover here in Massachusetts. We have an Adco and used one on our previous trailer with good results. There are a lot of negatives reported here about using them, but I've always had good results with no issues, so will continue to cover. Make sure you get one that "breathes", like the ones mentioned above. You can get a custom for big $$$, or a standard one that fits a range of sizes, like mine. It takes a little work to cinch up the extra material, but it's work-able. Getting it on the roof can be a challenge. I am one of those average guys in his 60's JTS140 mentions, haha, but I still manage to get the cranky old bones up the ladder.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #13
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We don't cover are's at all here in Washington St we use it to much. We just got back today from a trip in the mountains to play in the snow! Home is where we park it!

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4 6,7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote