Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2014, 02:42 AM   #1
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Trouble in the Valley

Wife and I will not be going down to the Valley this year with all the troubles in the area. Some parks have 24 hour security but most do not. Most have open drives or just a electric arm and a card reader. I feel the whole area will be a toss up.

old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 AM   #2
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
We have taken a work-for-site job in Harlingen. I must have missed the news that you got. What is it that is keeping you away?
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We live in TX, but not in the RGV. But I have not heard of any unusual problems other than the large number of illegals, especially minors, crossing the border and the efforts to quell it. As far as any increase in crime or violence on the TX side of the border, there have not been any stories about it in the local news media.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:51 AM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We've been going there for the last 7-8 years [Mission] and know a lot of folks there, both permanent and winter Texans, and I've only heard of a couple of incidents in our area affecting winter Texans, a couple of trucks stolen and a few vehicle breakins at parking lots. It's a highly populated area with the associated problems plus the large number of illegals, who have never been a problem in our area although we have them come into the Village every year, and the drug running, which is everywhere on the border. Taking precautions normal for living in any populated area should preclude most any problems. Concerned about the violence, shootings, drugs etc., in Mexico? Simple, don't go there! Our stick house is in a rural setting with a small town of 3000+ and we have drugs, illegals, breakins, and violence also, just to a lesser degree. Besides, you can say the same about any highly populated area containing an attraction for visitors. And to myself, Old Turbo say's he doesn't feel safe down south so he's not going, which is as it should be!!! I don't go some places for the same reason.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree that if you don't feel safe somewhere you need to be elsewhere.
We are looking for a place to winter with moderate temps & no snow. RGV has been on our list of places to look at. Will research it more and look at validated reports and facts.
Thanks old turbo for the heads up. Safe camping!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Interesting coincidence. TV news tonight as part of their RGV story about illegal immigrants was reporting on crime in Texas RGV vs other areas. Waco (between Dallas and Austin) has had 3 times the amount of violent crime this year as McAllen. So I guess that means avoid central Texas if you do head for the RGV.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
IMHO your less safe going to the Fall Rally from the West than wintering in the Valley. If you come thru St Louis you may go across interstate 70 thru East Saint Louis which, when I was in law enforcement was one of the worst slums in the US. The state put call boxes on the interstate to try and protect folks who had breakdowns and the bad guys used bolt cutters to cut the cables. If you come down Interstate 80 you'll be coming along the southern side of Chicago where 47 people were shot last weekend alone and then you'll pass thru Hammond, Indiana where I went to school and have the knife and bullet scars to prove it. If you are really familiar with what's going on in certain parts of certain cities in the US, a few thousands kids crossing the boarder trying to save their own lives aren't all that scary.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We never had a problem in the RGV, but I think we are going to Tucson this winter so we can visit friends and relatives. If you find a RV park in a metropolitan area without crime, please let me know
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #9
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
Great,we'll only be about 60 miles from you, so we'll be able to get together. Casa Grande, AZ is in the county where the federal government told people to stay away on the federal land, but the town hasn't had any per capita increases in crime. Hope this means, you'll be able to attend the Escapade in March at the Tucson Fairgrounds.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I believe Old Turbo done a disservice in saying that the Valley is more unsafe this winter than the last few. I was a winter Texan and proud owner of a Montana for many years, staying in the Valley for the winters.
I liked it so well my wife and I purchased a nice little two bedroom brick home in Green Gate Grove Mission, Texas where we have lived for three years now.
THE VALLEY IS SAFE, the RV parks have had less problems and issues this year than the last several years. I am an old retired LEO and shoot regularly at the Pharr Rifle and Pistol range with many law enforcement officers, Border Patrol retired and currently still working, Believe me I get fresh info on a regular basis.
The illegals that came across in drove's a month or so ago have all been shipped NORTH, you probably have more near you than I have down here near me.. ha ha ha
Don't let miss information spoil your winter plans, the Valley is ready and waiting for you. NO SNOW AND HAPPY TIME'S

Safe Travels my friends John H
Believe me If there were issues in my area I would certainly know about it. Were probably safer now than ever before, More Border Patrol, Texas Highway Patrol and Army Reserve's almost on every corner.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I completely agree with Hemlock. We have spent 10 years in Bentsen Grove Resort which is right next door to his park. We are three miles from the river and the State Park. My wife and I volunteer regularly at the State Park. I have certainly seen suspected illegals running through the park but to my knowledge there has not been a single instance of any crime of any sort against a Winter Texan attributed to an illegal immigrant. (There certainly are some local thugs but probably less than, many if not most, urban environments.)We don't go into Mexico like we used to but I will still go to Progresso during daylight hours and I walk across the border.
FWIW our park has a gate that is locked from 7 to 7 and nighttime security. I have never heard of security having any issues either.

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
There are more murders in our hometown of Montgomery AL than in the RGV. We'll continue to winter there unless there's another cold/wet winter.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote