Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #21
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Mine has paid for itself (new cooling unit, new convection/microwave oven, furnace circuit board, television and a hydraulic jack).

Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #22
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Extended warranty is a bet. You are betting you will use it and the insuring company is betting you want. I have it for peace of mind and hope I don't have to use it. I used it once to replace a bad wheel and since then I have replaced all of them myself. This is more of a catastrophic insurance for most people for the a/c and fridge as these are probably the most expensive items people have problems with. I probably wouldn't buy one again but if I were full timing then yes as full timers get more use out of there rig in one year as I get in 6 or 7 years.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #23
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We have has extended warranties on both of our Montana's. I would never own an RV as complicated as a Montana without one. This is a personal decision that has been talked about many times on this forum. Do what is good for you.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #24
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
I have a plan from Compass for my 2017 Montana 3000RE. My plan is pretty pricey. I would like to find out from Montana owners, that have extended warranties, which ones do you have and what is the best one.
BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #25
wet002
Established Member

M.O.C. #23119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxBound View Post
And THAT, is one reason why we have a 5 year service contract.
Great response
wet002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #26
Woodworker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22922
What's the cost? I'm interested.
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Nobody really wants to use their contract because that means you had problems that necessitated claims. It is only a hedge bet that the cost of the plan will be less than the cost of actual repairs if needed.
Nobody really wants to use their contract because that means you had problems that necessitated claims." ....What in the world do you mean by that Why would anyone get one if they did not really want to use it. We use it every time we have a major problem or one we can not fix.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #28
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I've maintained health insurance for nearly 50 years and I still hope I don't get all my money back in services.

Having said that, We have the forever warrenty that lasts as long as we own the rig and pretty much covers bumper to bumper with no deductables. I need to bring it in yearly for roof inspection and axel lube for $150. We are usually 1000 plus miles from home and our dealer so the peace of mind is worth it.

BTW, these service contracts are way overpriced and the dealer really wants to sell one as the margin is high. You can usually negociate 1/3 to 1/2 off.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #29
edmck
Established Member

M.O.C. #22933
Wholesale Warranties

Today I purchased a 2-year extended warranty from Wholesale Warranties. I have a 2011 Montana 3100RL. Following a recent divorce I'm using this coach as a temporary home and I bought the warranty for the peace of mind. For those who might be interested, mine is a 2-year agreement with a $200 deductible per incident, $2,049 total. $450 down and $133 monthly for 12 months so there's nothing to pay for the second year. For some reason Good Sam charged about the same amount but for only a single year of coverage. I was very surprised at that but understanding how these warranty prices are calculated is way beyond my pay grade. Before I made my decision I read over and over that you could negotiate a better price with the warranty companies but that didn't work with the folks at Wholesale Warranties. No worries, I'm happy. They were easy to deal with. Just wanted to add my 2 cents to this conversation.
edmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #30
LeonBlack
Established Member

M.O.C. #21807
We bought the extended service on a 2018 381TH. Because of some medical issues, the trailer set where the selling dealer delivered it for over a year. Fast forward to us taking the trailer in to get the slide out motors replace and the slide tops fixed because the motors leaked. Did anyone actually get notified that this problem existed?

in any case, we take the trailer in to get that repaired and a couple of other items. One of the items had to do with NO heat making it to the back of the trailer. We know the warranty is long gone HOWEVER we did not know that because we did not take the trailer back for service during the year that it sat, the service company pointed to that and said NO. It got me to thinking, If they can point to those caveats every time I take something in, then I paid an extra $8000 for nothing... Being first timers I wish I had done much more research before purchasing
LeonBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #31
BradP

M.O.C. #26767
We are buying a 2020 Montana from Gander Rv. The are offering a 6yr bumper to bumper extended warrantee for $4,000. Is this a good buy or should we be looking for an after market company for the warrantee?
BradP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #32
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
We are buying a 2020 Montana from Gander Rv. The are offering a 6yr bumper to bumper extended warrantee for $4,000. Is this a good buy or should we be looking for an after market company for the warrantee?
Our first 5er, we were offered a 7 yr warranty for $4600. I said too much. Dealer says how much do you think it's worth. I say $1300. We compromised at $2100.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #33
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Towards the end of my one year factory warranty, I looked around and got a six year extended warranty with Wholesale Warranties - my fiver covered for seven years total.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had extended warranties from day one on both our Montana's and we never had a problem having covered items repaired.

BTW Mikelff below is 100% correct. It has to be a exclusionary service contract were the exclusions are clearly stated.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #35
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
The thing you need to know and understand about these service contracts is what is NOT covered or EXCLUDED from coverage. Then you can better determine if it is worth it for you, price vs benefit. You also need to understand these service contract companies have set labor rates that are typically lower than what many dealers charge, unless you go to the dealer you bought it from, and you pay the difference in labor, so it may not be just a $50 deductible. As I was a new 5er owner when I first bought mine, and seeing some of the repair issues on the Montana and Keystone forums, I decided to buy a 5 year contract. I did NOT pay full price for mine. In fact, I paid near dealer cost which I was able to verify. These contract prices are negotiable. I have used mine a couple times so far. Glad I had it. Were the repairs more than the cost of the coverage? Not yet, but close, but that’s the point. Its like buying insurance. You have it if you need it, but hope you don’t have to use it. For some, like me, this has value. For others, it doesn’t. They bear the risk themselves, and that’s fine for them. What ever blows your hair back!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:09 PM   #36
Brenda Lee

M.O.C. #33149
How much was your Warranty?
Brenda Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 09:45 AM   #37
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We had a Service Contract on a Ford Pickup the Dealer sold us..While backing up one day the LOCKING Hub assembly Broke.. Brought the Truck to the Dealer and the the Claim was Denied.. The contract said, 'we cover the 4x4 system and all Components'.. The Service Contract People said the claim is denied. 'We don't cover Hubs"... We had another extended Service Plan on our Montana. We had 2 Claims in one visit.. Both the Large Slide and the Bedroom Slide Broke.. Under the Contract the plan said they Cover Slide outs.. Most of the Cost was the labor to adjust the slide outs to go in evenly.. The claim was denied as the Company said "We don't Cover Slide out Adjustments'.. We have had No luck at all with these Companies.. The later is a National Well Known Company....
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote