Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Camping World and a World Of Hurt

Robin and I bought a Roof mounted satelite system from Camping World during the show in Tampa!
Yea we got a good price. Boo this is what happened during the install.
We had taken Bella into Lazy Days for some minor warentee work and when they were done the moved it to Camping World to have the system installed. DURING the install Both the TV's were burnt out to the point they will not work and infact trip the breakers when turned on. Of course CW says Lazy Days did it and Lazy Days says CW did it in the mean time I have no 5th wheel and not a single word as to who or where and even IF it will be repaired.
To say the least I am so mad I could spit. But there is one good thing CW says the dish works fine after they brought a portale TV into the coach. BIG DEAL! Martha,I think this is the big one.

Doug

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry to hear of your frustration .

Technically, I don't think installing satellite on the roof would have caused the problem UNLESS it happened to get hit by lightning during install. Not knowing what the Lazy Days work was, hard to say, but most likely the result of the rig being plugged into bad power at either place (wrong polarity - wrong phasing, etc). Even that seems incredible - but I would start looking for other damage, starting at the outside receptacle. Check your fridge, microwave - anything electronic.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
One's worst nightmare! As Brad said, look much further than just the tv's. For them to BOTH go at the same time one would think it has to be an electrical surge of some kind. Will be interested to see how this all plays out for you, wish you luck!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OUCH!

You have our empathy and our best wishes. What a flippin mess. SIGHHH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
No matter what anyone says, we can't come near to feeling the way you feel about it. It always seems that no one will admit fault for anything they do. Years ago, when I was a teenager into my late 20's, if a service place did something that caused a customer a heartache, they immediately took care of it. At least that was my experience. I hope you get everything ironed out to your satisfaction.

As others have said, be sure to check everything. It's highly coincidental that both TVs would go out at the same time minus some type of voltage surge. My experience with electrical problems is far-reaching in that electric surges can do a lot of damage; they can be caused by just the mere shorting of the voltage to ground momentarily by a technician's screwdriver.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I feel your pain, but certainly not like you're feeling it. Nothing like being caught in the middle, right?

I agree with the electrical surge theory. Somewhere your rig got a supercharge or, on the other end of the theory, was subjected to one of those agonizing off, on, off, on, off, power up slowly, power down slowly deals until BANG--the televisions blew.

Good advice about checking everything else, because you may find some other nasty surprises.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
sedwheathome
Established Member

M.O.C. #6730
Fire1,
Talk about feeling your pain! I am still feeling a similar situation in my wallet! We picked up a power surge late last fall. This one took out the converter, microwave, and both tvs. I have not determined whether the AC unit yet good or bad. Weather has been too cold. I have replaced the converter & check every breaker & all wiring in the unit. If you need a converter, try Randy at "bestconverter.com". Good, no great service from these guys! I took care of microwave last week. Plan on putting LCD tvs in when I can get the Monty outside of her new home we build last summer. Didn't think about needing to extend the slides to work on everything.

Good Luck,
Walter
sedwheathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
What is one of the first things you learn when hooking up electrical power to the coach? "MAKE SURE THE CIRCUIT BREAKERS ARE OFF AT THE POLE" Ok after fighting with Tampa Camping World I wrote an e-mail to corporate customer service and they contacted Tampa and after several more between all of us a New TV was provided to replace the non-fixable one and the Large screen in the living area was fixed with a new fuse, so am I happy? Not on your life.
The Satellite system works great BUT. Nothing inside was tied down and it looks like Well just say I am not pleased.

Now to the power question.... When I started years ago camping we were told to always turn off the power before you hook up.. Well I found out Camping World does not they just put the plug into the outlet and go live from the get go. So where did the surge come from that fried my TV's? Which by the way are always on unless unplugged.
Camping World does it here are they ding it every where?
Any way so far so good we did a heavy check up of the coach and everything seems to be working and thank goodness for that.

Doug

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote