Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
LP Gas system on 2955rl

When you open the gas tank door on the kitchen side of the trailer the regulator is right there. Is this an automatic switch over device or do I need to manually change it when the tank runs out to get to the other tank?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
If the other tank is open than it is auto switch over.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
RKassl, Since we also have a 2955 I'll give just a bit more detail. The switch 'points' to the active tank. If both tank are full and both valves are OPEN at each tank, when one tank get's empty the regulator will automatically begin to use gas from the other (full) tank, BUT the indicator will show RED.

The proper procedure is to then MANUALLY switch the handle to 'point' toward the new tank which is now being used. Then as soon as possible fill the empty tank and replace it, opening the valve. It will begin to be used automatically when the other tank is empty, and , again, the indicator will turn to RED. And so on and on it goes.

Hope this is not too confusing. Summary: when both valves are open the USE will automatically continue with the other full tank when one runs empty, BUT the switch must be manually changed for the indicator to properly show the tank in use and to show when it becomes empty.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
It is auto switch. I like to leave the street side tank closed because I always forget to check those tanks. That way I have a tank in reserve. We rarely use our furnace and 1 bottle will last most of the summer. Last summer was very cold when we went on vacation and ran the furnace a fair bit. We ran out of propane on a 38 degree morning. Good thing the campground sold propane. I am sure lots don't do it this way, but it works for me.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I do the same as Virgil that way you do not end up with two empty bottles
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
Paul Severson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2677
I also have an 05 2955rl. Was told that it is not auto switch in that if both tanks are on then they will both empty at the same rate. Did not test this but should have before I installed a true auto switching propane valve. I guess you could test by opening both tanks and then shutting off one tank to see if it switches to the other tank. Maybe Keystone changed the valves for 05.
Paul Severson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
OK, different story.

I was told that IF BOTH tanks are turned ON, the primary tank is the one the valve is pointed to and the colored indicator on the regulator will display green when it has gas (pressure). When the tank empties, the colored indicator will display part red, part green to signify the other (unselected tank) is supplying gas but at a reduced volume. The part green part red is to signify that one tank has depleted. If/when you turn the valve to the now full tank, the indicator will display all green (provided, of course, that you have a full tank).

If it doesn't work this way, it would be a nice system in my opinion to indicate that you have at least one empty tank.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Listen to David, he has the right information. Used our furnace during a very cold winter for Calif. (I know not as cold as the midwest and east but it did get down to 28) and this automatic system worked great. If you are going to use a lot, it is a good idea to have a third tank handy to get the refills.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:23 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Thanks, Sue, and Illapah is also correct. My 2955RL is a 2002 and over 3 years in use. The tank to which the indicator points is the only one being used until it is depleted then the switchover is indeed automatic. But then the switch must be manually pointed to the tank now being used and the empty tank replaced at once, then the valve on it also opened ... and on and on and on. A pretty good system and mine has never failed.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padre, very good explanation. So long as both valves are open it will automatically draw from the other tank when the primary is empty.

Illipah, I could be wrong but the only time I've seen both red and green on the indicator is when the primary tank is almost empty but not quite low enough to trigger all red. Soon as it's empty it goes all red but will provide propane from the 'off tank'.

Since we live in ours fulltime we can go through a tank of propane in anywhere from 3 days (in frigid weather) to 3 months.

I used to check that indicator every couple of days to make sure to catch an empty tank before we also had an empty second tank. But I have now not checked that indicator in about 2 1/2 years. We got a 'remote propane out indicator' from Campers Choice, online. This consists of an indicator mounted on a wall inside our Montana. It has wiring to the regulator and a cap to replace that black vinyl cap over the red/green indicator. When that red flag goes up, the indicator inside the Montana starts blinking. Ours is mounted in the bedroom, on the dresser side of the wall between dresser and lavatory. That way the blinking is reflected in the closet mirror and I can see it downstairs. When that light starts blinking I go outside and flip the handle to the other tank and start planning to get the empty tank refilled.

Unfortunately, Campers Choice was bought out by Camping World and I don't find this indicator on the CW site. I just now emailed them to see if they have it but just don't show it online yet.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote