Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2005, 11:35 PM   #21
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Well, I'm going to add my nickel's worth. I spent 35 years in business writing communiques. At first, I typed my own, then scratched them out in longhand for a secretary, and later I went back to writing my own via e-mail. I spent so much of my time pouring over them to make sure they were "good enough" to keep from being criticized (they were almost always good enough to be understood) that today in retirement, I just refuse to do so. So for me anyway, you get what you get.

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:55 AM   #22
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Atta boy Virgil....
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:12 AM   #23
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I like your thinking Virgil47
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:18 AM   #24
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
The remarks about spelling and spell check use is most likely why most people that join the forum just read the remarks and do not input to the forum I know that there is a few of the people on thes board that all they do is disagree with of find fault in what others do or say and you know who you are. I know that you can not help it be cause that is the way you have been all of your life just my 2 cents worth
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:28 AM   #25
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Name of thread(MOC forum Pet Peeves) I find it amazing that the only pet peeve found is spelling.Hmmmmm
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:29 AM   #26
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I didn't intend to get a big thing going on here. I just thought with the spell checker being so handy that everyone would want to use it. But you have to use IE for it to work. It will not work on Netscape and I guess fire fox.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:28 AM   #27
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Sew, if eye yous da spel cheker eye can thro da dikshunairy a way?
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #28
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Cute, Don. I don't think you should get rid of your dictionary (LOL).
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:10 AM   #29
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
You know, when I meet people and they learn I teach Advanced Placement English, I almost ALWAYS receive the old "I suppose I need to watch what I say around you" line.

The answer, of course, is that more often than not, yes, I do hear what is incorrect, but do I say something? No--unless it is a student in one of my classes. We are all human and prone to mistakes, myself included. As one of my English professors at the University of Georgia once said, "The reason we become English majors is to know where to go when we suspect something is wrong in what we say or write."

As an edit to this post, THIS is why no one will have to worry about me editing--and then judging--their words, and why I assured everyone of that back when I joined. Of course, I might roll my eyes, but you won't see me do it! Trust me, I critique myself far more harshly than I ever will anyone else, which I am doing even as I type for some of the "goofs" I just corrected!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:20 PM   #30
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Hay, iffn y'all unnerstand what Im sayin it don't much matta how I spel or say it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #31
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
And Wordsmith we enjoy having you here. I'm sure others join me when I said it has been too long since English classes. I used to be able to pull those sentences apart and name all the parts but it has been 50 years since I did it. (Very bad run on sentence.) Another thing that affects our writing is all the acronyms we use. I worked in education and we had thousands. This forum has its share also. I often think about the new members who join and must think we are crazy talking about our television set pulling the fifth wheels!
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #32
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Sue, you are so spot on! I, too, have been struck by the towing power on some of those television sets!

Oh, and education equals alphabet soup!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:41 AM   #33
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Sue and J.D.

I have stayed out of this thread until now. But your posts are so refreshing and helpful in relieving the tension that seemed to be just under the surface in some of the respondents. I had to go back three times to 'get the point' about those 'pulling televisions'. Then, it struck me that I, too, was confused by the use of "TV" in my earlier days on the forum.

Now, I'm going to really open up a can of worms! For the most part I avoid 'jargon', even in this context. I do not live in a "stick house", nor tow with a TV, but I have come to understand that the use of such 'inside terms' comes naturally for many others and as long as I understand it, it's OK with me.

And, I am a very poor speller and use Firefox, so I'm sure a good many mistakes appear in my posts, but I have not been offended by this discussion. In fact, I now remember that I did respond earlier by asking "Where is the spell checker?" I then followed up by saying, "Thanks, now I know why I don't find it, when I knew I needed it." Or words to that effect.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:45 PM   #34
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
David, I am tried and true Macintosh guy; I did not even know there was a spell check option at the bottom of this page where we type our messages until the logic board on the Mac went a couple of weeks ago, forcing me to use the PC, upon which I saw it for the first time. You learn something new all of the time!