Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Level up

We have recently gotten "out of stroke" error messages on our level up system. This I find really strange as these errors are occurring on concrete pads, while we have had successful messages on sites that I would never have thought that we would get level. So I'm not sure what this error means would someone educate me.
Thanks
Michael

mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The Lippert manual's answer to this error message is "relocate". If it implies what one would think, then one or more of the jacks are out of stroke (cannot extend further) during the leveling process. I have been on cement pads that are slopped to front or back. If the back were sloped downward sufficiently then this could possible occur, same with the front. If it gives you this error message on level ground then there is something wrong I would have to seek help in diagnosing.

You might try putting blocks under any level up jack that appears to be near it's extended limit and see if that solves the problem.

Good luck with the solution
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Yes the ground is very level, so can't understand the error, we have had trailer wheels off the ground and still go level, but the last two attempts have ended with this error message. When looking at a level we are close but not quite level would only need a very slight change, but when I try to manual adjust it gives me an out of stroke error.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Isn't there a reset type setting? Seems I read somewhere that you need to do that from time to time. I don't remember their literature saying anything about "out of stroke". But we've had a hard time with just getting the thing up and down on a regular basis! Good luck and please let us know what you end up doing. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
That is odd. I've had the message several times, but it was because jacks were fully extended and still wasn't level (really bad rear to front slope). When retracted, do all the jacks appear to be the same distance down from the frame?? Possible one or two jacks are mounted higher (two techs working one on each side and had a communication error on position of the jacks on the mounting bracket), just thinking out loud. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I may have missed something here, are you getting the "out of stroke" error message when the unit is attempting "auto level" or do you only get this message when you determine it is not quite level and you manually try to adjust it.
I am not sure how the system works but there must be sensors that determine that a cylinder is "out of stroke", and is reporting that condition to the control panel.

If you do not have the manual you can download the complete manual at: http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...nersManual.pdf

There is a section in there on "zero setting the control" (page 20).That might solve the problem. The manual is really not a lot of help and I am afraid I am not either. Sorry...
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

Are you low on oil??

Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
I get the message when using autolevel, have had that message when the site was really out of level, so it wasn't unexpected. The last two time I've used the autolevel have been on concrete pads which as far as I can determine certainly were not much off level. When I checked the level with an app I have on my Ipod it suggest that I raise the fron end slightly, so I tried to manually (enter the manual part of levelup) raise the front and again got the out of stroke error. The trailer tonight is only very slightly out of level, but I've seen this system level on difficult terrain, but this should have been very easy. I haven't checked my oil level tonight but will report back if it is low.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'd check the oil level, unplug the red plug and let the unit reset and try it again. If those don't solve the problem, call Lippert and see what the customer service folks say.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
If the front legs are extended all the way and the unit is still not quite level mine will show ERROR.
Sometimes it's hard to tell you are that far off, that's why I still carry blocks.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Thanks Ron
No the front legs are not fully extended, I'll have to raise them to hook up to the truck. I checked the oil level and it at the same level it always has been. I checked the on-line manual and the only advise for an out of stroke error was to move to another site. I guess I will have to phone Lippert.
Michael
Old 11-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
The front legs have 20 inchs of stroke and the rear legs only have 15 inchs of stroke so it is very possible you rear legs are all the way out. Out of stroke!!! at different time and places the front of the unit is level at different levels
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Thanks William
I hadn't given that a thought, I know my front legs are not out much, so I'll look at the rear tomorrow, it does make sense.
Michael
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
confused....call lippert...they are great.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
I think calling Lippert is the best call. Today we are in a site that really is out of level, again got the out of stroke error, pressed autolevel and the system re-adjusted and made the trailer closer to level, we still get an out of stroke error but we are very close to level.
Will keep playing with prior to having someone look at it.
Thanks for all of the advice, I will let you know what I learn.
Thanks
Michael