Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Need a ladder to open and close the awning?

Do Montana models other than the 3585SA require the use of a 5' or 6' stepladder in order to reach the black adjustment knobs and the slider catches on their awnings? Our awning hardware is so high that it's impossible to just stand on the ground or a short stool and reach those things once we get to the steps requiring unlocking things or tightening/untightening the black knobs to get secure the awning. And to put the "flapper stoppers" on, we have to use a 6' stepladder. On the Cardinal 5th-wheeler we owned years ago, I could easily put the awning up and down by myself without having to use a stool or a ladder. No so on our Montana.

Just wondering . . .

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I can adjust the end by the steps by standing on the steps. Of course I'm 6'2" tall with long arms. On the other end I need a ladder if I decide to do something with that end. Based on that, the lower end of the awning is always on the step end.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
That lower end is on the steps-side of our rig, but Wayne, who is 6' tall, can't reach the black knob to tighten and untighten it without a very tall step-stool; for the other side, he needs a ladder. I've put off buying a small ladder to take with us, relying on borrowing one from people when I can, but I guess I'll have to break down and get a lightweight one (and then find a place to store it, along with everything else we need for fulltiming).

Carolyn
Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Carolyn, I used the aluminum 6 ft ladder from CW that folds to a 4 inch square. Easy to use, strong enough, and easy to store. Check them out at CW..... I had a 3400 and used the ladder quite a bit. I also had no problem in using the built in ladder to access the roof when I needed to....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The folding ladder isn't sturdy enough for me. I think the test weight is 225# or something like that. We use one of the multiple folding ladders and hang in on a ladder hanger from the built in ladder. The great thing about the multiple folding ladder is that it is a 17' extension ladder or a good sized step ladder or anything in between. I use it quite a bit, particularly for getting on the roof. The built in ladder is just too small for me and probably isn't made to handle my weight. Frankly I worry about whether it's strong enough to handle my antenna mount.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I've always had to use a ladder, even with my old motorhome.

Joyce, Dick must be handy when it comes time to change light bulbs and put up the awning!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I'm assuming that you have the old manual open awning like a lot of us have.

Carolyn have you thought about making your pulling rod longer some 1/4" stainless Steel so it dont rust on you. I have a 2980 RL and the awning is way out of reach for us as yours is. my Monty came with a 5 foot pull rod and that has been working for us sence 04. I also have to use this rod to hold the pull rope when we put it up for travel. Another thing I took a piece of duct tape and took the rod over to the front room slide because that opens the most and wraped the tape around the rod where the slide opened and added a few inches for good luck, now when we park the rig Georgia can use the awning rod as a reverance on how close to the service pole the slide will be when opened this has saved me another move or readjust my parking many times.
I hope the longer rod idea works for you.

Don
Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep I'm 6-3 and I still needed a ladder for my old Bigsky, now I have a power awning on my new one which is cool but they are not as sturdy in the wind as the old ones
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Don, we can reach the pull down strap without a ladder (our Montana came with an extra-long rod, too). It's the hardware on each arm and rafter that we can't reach. Today we bit the bullet and bought a 6' ladder. We needed one to reach the tops of some of the windows anyway, so now we don't have to borrow ladders from people. Hey--I like your duct tape trick to measure the distance from your front room slide to power poles in RV parks!

I guess hard-to-reach awning things are more the norm than not!

Carolyn
Old 08-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carolyn,
We used the Telesteps (http://www.telesteps.net/product.htm) model 1400T which is 10.5 feet tall. That was plenty of height to even be able to get on the roof via the slide. This ladder is 21.5 inches tall, and fits easily in the basement.

One problem, Camping Worlds wants an arm-and-a-leg, for theirs. You can buy the same one via special order (about 3 days) online from Lowes and have it shipped to your nearest Lowes retailer. I paid ~$160 (no shipping) for mine, CW wanted ~$220.

We also had one of those folding ladders from CW that Phil talks about. If we were in Texas, you could have mine. I never could get it anchored to the ground well enough to feel safe.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wayne and Carolyn Mathews

Don, we can reach the pull down strap without a ladder (our Montana came with an extra-long rod, too). It's the hardware on each arm and rafter that we can't reach. Today we bit the bullet and bought a 6' ladder. We needed one to reach the tops of some of the windows anyway, so now we don't have to borrow ladders from people. Hey--I like your duct tape trick to measure the distance from your front room slide to power poles in RV parks!

I guess hard-to-reach awning things are more the norm than not!

Carolyn
Oh them guys............. yes i do have that problem also, but I went to Home Depot and bought one of those macenary benches with the legs that fold up into the bench part for that, and when I'm not using it fo the awning I use it for the BB-Q to sit on
Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
It is difficult to reach the black adjustment knobs but I get mine tight if open by lowering the whole awning by use of the handle clamp then extend it again to the height we want it. I normally can reach both black knobs if the awning is retracted. My problem is I forget which way to turn it and loose the clamp on the inside of the channel and have to play with it again for about 10 minutes before getting the black knob threaded bolt into the clamp so I can tighten it again.
I also use the pull rod to open and close my kitchen gray water tank since my pull handle is between the wheels on the drivers side of he unit. Hook it with the squared end to open the valve and the loop end to close it. Works like a champ!
For a reference rod on the distance of the slides I have a piece of quarter inch doweling marked with at permanent marker with each slide distance when they are out. This also works like a champ!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #13
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
yep we have to use a ladder on our Big Sky just depends how is mounted.
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
I also have to use a ladder for the front awning arm. I think its just a 5th wheel thing especially if the awning goes beyond the step up in front. I lucked out and see a 6' ladder in a drive at a yard sale, and grabbed it for a measly 5 bucks. It is handy to have around for waxing and general maintenance too.
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I have a plastic 2 step folding stool I use that came from Wal-Mart. I keep it in the back of the pickup and find I’m always looking for it for some reason or other. I need it for the awnings and several other things as well. It makes it very handy to reach inside the tool box in behind the cab of the truck. After using it I usually leave it underneath the hitch to help keep everyone away from walking into the hitch. I would be lost without it.

I have recently started carrying an 8’ step ladder in the bed of the truck slid underneath the hitch as well. The intention with it was to have it when I place the graphics on the front of the camper. I’m still carrying it if you get my drift. LOL
Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I finally gave in to a 6 ft. step ladder. Comes in real handi for flapper stoppers, unlocking the awning lock or positioning the awinging so it will lock and cleaning windows. It is strapped to the back ladder and seems to like the ride!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Tim and Susan, we just bought a 6' extremely lightweight ladder (I can life it easily with one hand) but weren't sure if we could risk strapping it to the other ladder. We may end up carrying it in the bed of the truck, if we have room, but if we don't, we might be brave enough to try the back-of-the-Monty thing.

Carolyn
Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have to use a ladder for everything... Not a problem... We are used to it. We keep a 3 ft'er in the truck all the time.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

We have to use a ladder for everything... Not a problem... We are used to it. We keep a 3 ft'er in the truck all the time.

Helen
With a 3 footer I could reach the knobs on the awning. I also kept it in the back of the truck for getting in and out of the bed when the tailgate was down.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yep same here.Solution..New Montana and electric awning
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote