Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Has anybody insured their Montana this way?

Since we purchased the trailer in 2004, we have had a free standing insurance policy for the Montana. Now that we are retired and looking for anyway to save, I called AARP where we have our home and vehicles.

I talked to them in detail and what they do is to add it to the truck policy rather than a free standing policy. Does anyone insure their Montana in a similar way?

What are the pro's and con's?

The deductibles are great and the policy premium is very reasonable too. By the way, Good Sam Insurance was ridiculous in price for Wisconsin where we live.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
we have ours thru liberty mutual who has our autos. The price is right and I have used it for one claim on the roof and it paid in full. I think the only downfall would be a depreciation value on your trailer as it ages, just like your auto would. I think stand alone policies would pay better if your trailer is destroyed

On edit: We also do not full time so there may be other issues that would not affect us.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
An RV is not an auto, an auto policy normally won't cover water damage due to a water leak or damage due to an appliance fire, etc., something to think about. The RV for a fulltimer is a home not a car.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
When I lost my awning on our first trailer my auto insurance said to use our Home insurance policy. I now have an RV vehicle on my policy so it is covered as is.

Read the policy real close, yea if we could. Do what you are doing, ask questions.

Get a quote from Good same even though high and then compare all their points with AARP policy.

Good luck. Let us know what you find in the fine print.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Bob and Nancy,
The short answer is yes....but......
There are too many holes and gaps. 35 years in the insurance business doing this type of insurance there are only a handful of times I have receommended doing what you're asking.
Check out the post: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...erms=insurance

PM me if I can help further.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have my fiver covered off my truck policy with Farmers Ins. As you stated, it's very reasonable (pricewise) compared to say Good Sams. Will it cover every little item a stand alone covers ... no. A choice I personally made with no issues to date.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours is insured under our homeowners policy here in Ohio and the terms are the same as the homeowners policy. We established a declared value for the Montana. The montana is more a home than a auto.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
When we totaled our 07 3075 last month we got a check from GMAC (Good Sam policy) for 50,800. We had the replacement value poicy and I think it was cheap. They also handled our claim in a most expiditous maner.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
We have a stand alone policy thru National Interstate RV. I feel the policy is reasonable in cost for the year. I could save money combining it with my home and auto, but they have exceptions to their policies I didn't care for. I don't full time, but I don't think I'd change even if I did.
KardRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Kidd

When we totaled our 07 3075 last month we got a check from GMAC (Good Sam policy) for 50,800. We had the replacement value poicy and I think it was cheap. They also handled our claim in a most expiditous maner.
Don, I am glad that insurance worked out for you. If you don't mind sharing, "What is cheap" when it comes to replacement value insurance? Jim
Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We have our house, pickups, car, and trailer all insured with California Casualty. The trailer is very reasonable at $135 a year. We have $100 deductable for damage and $500 deductable for collision.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:44 AM   #12
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
I have mine with AARP. Was on the road when we had an accident in Alabama. Contacted AARP-Hartford immediately, got a repair quote and the next day an adjuster was there and agreed to an amount acceptable to the repair shop. Within a week I had a check in hand for the repair.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Insurance, no doubt, is an enigma, covered in confusion, cloaked in mystery. Coverage that is cheap is that way because less coverage is provided. There is no free lunch. Actuaries figure the mathematical risk and price the product accordingly. If you are paying a lot less, then you are getting a lot less. Unless you have the rarity of an extraordinarily honest and well informed agent, you will not get solid answers to your questions.

Rich added his as a rider to his homeowner's policy which is all well and good unless you are a true full timer without that home. You who add the RV as a rider to your auto may only be covered if you rig is connected to you tow vehicle. Insurance companies are not out to give you a good deal. They are providing a product to cover your risk in such a way as to make a profit. The less risk they cover, the less they charge. Since I sold casualty insurance in a former life, in reading this thread, it is easy for me to see that we are not comparing apples to apples.

I started not to even post on this thread, figuring it was a waste of time. Our egos get wrapped up in the choices we make and when someone sounds an alarm, he becomes the enemy. Well, so be it.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Winter Texan.. We had the same experience with The Hartford a few years ago. First time we used them we had a check in hand in a couple of weeks.....Then.. our rates went up for a period of 3 years and the amount of increase was exactly the amount of the claim.. Coincidence...I think not... We dropped them... Watch your billing..
Everyone should have a in depth discussion with your Insurance agent. Find out exactly what you are insured for. Ask questions.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #15
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
When we went full time about 5 years ago, we tried many different "auto" insurance companies, and as soon as I said that we were living in it, they said no thanks. We are insured through Foremost insurance. They handle only RV, 4-wheelers, boats, etc. My TV is through American Family Insurance, with nationwide coverage. Thankfully we haven't had any claims.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote