Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #41
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Capn chris, different time zone, but.....close enough!!!
Padredw, the big companies gobble up the small ones, I guess it's a way of life anymore. Hold onto your hat, they will raise the prices, it wouldn't be a good business move, without improving the bottom line of the place.
Dan, certainly reasonable, but man, I'm hooked on this darn surf, like John said the smells even get into your blood.
Might be that old Navy flashback deal. Come to think of it, in the wind, with the movement of the trailer, kinda reminds me of the ship at Sea.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #42
marisolwithsol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6087
Being fairly new RVers we had wondered what the big deal was with KOA's, as we thought most of them seemed to be overpriced ( and we have 3 kids! ), but we are getting ready to stay in our first KOA next weekend in Bowling Green, KY. Their prices were quite reasonable compared to others in the area and just happened to be closer to the Corvette assembly plant and museum, so we thought why not? Now I'm starting to wonder. I guess we'll see.

Marisol
marisolwithsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #43
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have found two or three KOA's that we would use again. But they are the exception. We find most are noisy (ever notice the ones with the screaming kids use KOA's?), sites are often tight, they are often not particularly neat and clean, and they are way overpriced. Just my experiences. Two or three we've been in are exceptions.

I have maintained our KOA card all these years but it expires in March and I'll have to think long and hard whether I want to renew.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #44
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Ozz, I just got my new KOA Gold card in the mail, since you are burning yours let me know if you need to borrow mine. I agree the Ft. Stockton is ok for the night, Fredericksburg, Tx. Koa is great, and Las Cruces is great for the night. Many are starting to slide down hill, and prices are going up. I am also getting disillusioned about "luxury rv parks". Seems the only luxury is the owner is getting megabucks for a small site with no amenities. Just think Ozz, we may be heading back to the stone age where will be forced to John's place in Kansas.
Hang in there ole buddy.....PS Papa Rocco's has the best pizza in Gulf Shores....

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #45
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Ditto on the Fredericksburg KOA. That is one I overlooked in my previous post.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #46
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
The one in Wakeeny, KS on I 70 is a good one and good managers. Other places have not been so good.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #47
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980

We stopped at the Wakeeney KOA on the first leg of our journey this year, we found the manager unfriendly, snotty and indifferent. He placed us in a spot too small, was irritated when we told him we needed a larger site, (Sue told him we needed a 4 slide spot for a 39' trailer) looking back, he stand out as the worst person we have dealt with, when we have a problem somewhere we look at each other and say, "At least it isn't Wakeeney"
Maybe we got his brother Earl, or something, or he wasn't on his Meds.....
We have a spot next to us that has a poor Palm tree that keeps getting run over. The manager here told me I draw Idiots.....maybe because I am one??? The first offender was a Class 'A', left paint on the tree and all. The second was a "Doorslammer" family in a Fifth wheel, a one nighter loser. I'll post pictures. Oh, they just kept driving out of the park after knowing they ran over the $2,000 Palm tree.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0794.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0795.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0798.jpg

Old 02-04-2007, 04:01 AM   #48
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ozz, one can only hope the paint damage to the campers that left cost more than the palm tree! Oh yeah, on the topic of 5 o'clock somewhere, I worked on third shift for a few years and we didn't have the first beer till beerthirty! Those were my younger days though, I have to wait till beerfourtyfive now!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #49
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Maybe you could start a driving school in your spare time.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Who would put a tree in such a place???At least they did not miss it by a little bit.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:50 AM   #51
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We usually stay in KOA's during our trek to and from Florida each year. The only one that we won't stay at again is the Nashville, TN KOA. No cable, and $65.00 per night with the KOA discount. The KOAs we have stayed at are clean and neat; and priced within reason. Other than the Nashville, TN KOA we never spent over $28.00 per night. We have never had a problem with any staff member, in fact, in the smaller KOAs they have gone out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:29 AM   #52
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Don't ever consider staying at the Meridian, MS KOA. The owner of that outfit is really a hard head. He's a retired Army Colonel, a psychiatrist, and thinks the world revolves around him. The lots are too small for today's rigs. It was originally created when pop-up campers were in vogue. Price per night 3 1/2 years ago was $38/night. Can't even begin to imagine what it is today, if he is still in business.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:01 AM   #53
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
When we were looking for a place to setup Monty before starting to fulltime, we checked the KOA in Seattle. They would let us have a SMALL spot for $1150/mos. + electric + attitude.

We found a mom and pop 2 miles away for $385, including electic.

While travelling, we always count the number of rigs at the KOAs as we pass by. Found one that had 5 spaces full! (not fulltimers or longtimers)

KOA is a loser, maybe they will go away and a mom and pop operation will buy the space.

I would rather find a parking lot before stooping low enough to give KOA our hard earned money.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:16 AM   #54
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
C'mon, Robbie, tell us what you really think!!
Good to hear from you, where have you been?

This internet service STILL hasn't been fixed....If you do plan on coming here, be prepared to enter the 'Frustration zone' for an hour or two a day.
Ozz
Old 02-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #55
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

How did you know that Alice didn't write that post?

We're back in Bullhead City right now, but we were at the MOC circle in Quartzsite and Ajo. We then spent several nights dry camping in the desert near Bouse AZ, real nice, then some time in LHC, and then back here! How's that for the nutshell view? We love our lifestyle!

We have a satellite tripod type of internet connection. Costs about $70 a month, takes about 15 minutes to setup (now), and we can hide our wireless network from moochers.... No frustration, no problem, just money. I would help you!

Sorry, I haven't replied to your email, but will get to it soon, been real busy being retired and all......

BTW, 68 degrees here at 11:00 am.

Robbie
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #56
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
OZZ, are you going fishing Saturday?
The South Padre KOA will host a new Guinness Book of World Records® attempt on Saturday, February 10. The new South Padre Island KOA will host the KOA World's Largest Surf Fishing Tournament, with anglers vying for more than $8,000 in prizes.

c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #57
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Interesting, but alas, I am not a fisherman, no patience, and fish stink.
I will observe from a discreet distance.

They should spend that organization time, fixing the Wi-Fi..........
Old 02-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #58
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I havent done any FTing, and I sure would forget about KOA, but it would seem easier to find a trailer park to stay at for a lot more reasonable price. Example at my mothers park its 350 per mo and the electric is metered, gas and water is tallied up for all and devided equally.
I have noticed that most campgrounds are gouging there customers for more money, due to the popularity of camping now, and they get it with no questions asked, otherwise hit the road and try and find another RV Park.

All rights reserved.

TT2
Old 02-07-2007, 01:09 AM   #59
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
TT2, good observations, in most cases this would be the prudent thing to do. Here at South Padre Island, you have two choices. KOA and Isla Blanca. My stay here was pre-paid through Destination South Padre. KOA has since bought DSPI out, they then made changes, pricing of course, Internet provider, and many other changes, some good.
I have paid for next years stay at Isla Blanca park.
If you want the beach here, you are severely limited on choices. I won't move inland, as I came here for the beach.
If I were to go inland, I would probably go to the Hill Country here in Texas, It's so nice there.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:47 AM   #60
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

We stopped at the Wakeeney KOA on the first leg of our journey this year, we found the manager unfriendly, snotty and indifferent. He placed us in a spot too small, was irritated when we told him we needed a larger site, (Sue told him we needed a 4 slide spot for a 39' trailer) looking back, he stand out as the worst person we have dealt with, when we have a problem somewhere we look at each other and say, "At least it isn't Wakeeney"
Maybe we got his brother Earl, or something, or he wasn't on his Meds.....
We have a spot next to us that has a poor Palm tree that keeps getting run over. The manager here told me I draw Idiots.....maybe because I am one??? The first offender was a Class 'A', left paint on the tree and all. The second was a "Doorslammer" family in a Fifth wheel, a one nighter loser. I'll post pictures. Oh, they just kept driving out of the park after knowing they ran over the $2,000 Palm tree.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0794.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0795.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0798.jpg
I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the Wakeeney KOA, Jim. That's one of the parks I was thinking of when I said earlier we've had good experiences in two or three but feel the others are overpriced, too tight, too noisy, etc. But we had a good experience at the Wakeeney KOA. I guess that just goes to show on different days...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote