Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
Potvin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2193
Send a message via MSN to Potvin
Sarnia Ontario Canada

Hi to all

We are planning on going to the Great Lakes Regional rally in Indiana in September and I am trying to plan our trip. We live in Ontario near the Quebec border so we plan to do the trip in two days. I was wondering if any one would know of a campsite near Sarnia Ontario that wouldn't be too far from the highway. I am also looking for a campsite near Port Hope or Colbourne for our return trip. We would appreciate any input because we have never been to this part of Ontario.

Potvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Lois & Stewart (Potvin) Why are you heading all the way up to Sarnia? Why don't you cross at Ivy Lea (East of Gananoque) and go across from there? We travel that way all the time and don't hit the border tie ups or go through Toronto. If you want a route going that way let me know. We are also heading to the rally. You can get there in 2 days. We stay at Flying J on the way across.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:08 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Can't argue with Bill about a route from eastern Ontario, but if for some reason you want to go through Toronto/Sarnia, there is a Flying J near London that would be a good quick overnight stop. Also, when we came back from last year's rally, we took the Sarnia route, and found I-69 to be very rough between Lansing and Port Huron. You can also go through Detroit, but it is not much better. We live in SW Ontario, so Bill's route is not proactical for us.

Coming back, Darlington Provicial Park has some nice large sites that we sometimes use.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:48 AM   #4
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Hi Lois,

I'd suggest that you cross over at Cornwall and take Route 11 west to Watertown. We did it last year and it was a good route. Just a little congestion near Cleveland. We stayed at a nice campground called Heritage Hills (440) 298-1311. It's only 4 miles from the Interstate 90 about halfway between Erie and Cleveland. Nice sites with pull thru. It was also almost empty at that time last year. It's a long drive the first day but a short one on the second. I doubt that this route is shorter than the 401 but it's more relaxed.

Which ever you choose you'll enjor the Goshen area.

Have a ball!

Jim (and Diane)
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
Potvin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2193
Thanks to all

I went on Mapquest and they said to go by the 401 to Sarnia to get to Goshen. I wasn't sure if the routes in the US were easy routes pulling the Monty.

We will definetly either cross at Cornwall or Gananoque. That is great not to have to go through Toronto.

Thanks again
Old 06-16-2005, 01:27 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Lois and Stewart (Potvin). Yes, for some reason Mapquest figures you are starting in Canada so you want to stay in Canada. They aren't driving the truck. The route we go doesn't hit the Interstate until Ohio. Going off the Interstate at Ohio is just too slow and too many towns. Fine driving and nice scenery. No problems with pulling the rig through the towns.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:05 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Potvin

Thanks to all

I went on Mapquest and they said to go by the 401 to Sarnia to get to Goshen. I wasn't sure if the routes in the US were easy routes pulling the Monty.

We will definetly either cross at Cornwall or Gananoque. That is great not to have to go through Toronto.

Thanks again
If it were I, I would cross at Cornwall and make a slight detour up to the Indian reservation and fill that D-Max with diesel. The "res" is just a couple miles from the bridge and the diesel has been as much as $.40 cents a gallon less. I suggest the Bear's Den. Than run route 37 down to Theresa, NY and pick up 411 west to I-81 south to Syracuse and take the NY Thruway (I-90) West.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:19 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Glenn: Have you ever gone along the Seaway Route till Rochester and then across 33 - Buffalo, then 20 to Ohio Border?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Lois,
If you went the first way you mentioned it is about 793 miles.
Crossing at Cornwell and then down to Rt 11 to I91 to I90 it is 757 miles.
Ass Glenn mentioned when you cross into the staes go east around the traffic circle to get fuel.
We need to plan on a place to stop on our way back.
We will be coming from MN to the rally.
Then going the same way as you home as far as Syracuse, NY
Check your PM, I sent you a message
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann

Glenn: Have you ever gone along the Seaway Route till Rochester and then across 33 - Buffalo, then 20 to Ohio Border?
I have done the Seaway (Rte 3 to 104) to Rochester but not 33 to Buffalo. I only mentioned I81 and I90 as these routes would be a bit faster than the more Scenic Seaway route. These routes are primarily 2 lanes with many small villages to get through. As I have posted many times in the past "I hate the NY Thruway" put sometimes it is the quicker route. If Stew feels he has the time than by all means pick up Rte 3 or Rte 11 at Watertown to Rte 104 at Mexico and 104 to Rochester.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:37 AM   #11
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Glenn: We have found that the time you save getting on Rte 3 at Watertown and going cross country (off Interstates) isn't any slower. It takes time to go down to I-90. We also hate the Thruways. We picked up on Rte 33/5 route a few years ago trying to avoid the thruway.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:12 AM   #12
Potvin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2193
Stewart is gone fishing but will be back on Sunday so I have printed all this info for him to study. As some of you know he does not do any posting but he reads everything and then tells me what to write. I am his private secretary. lol

Thanks everyone for all the great advise. We will certainly look at all the different options.

Can't wait for September. It will be fun to see everyone again. And also to meet some more new people. What a great idea to get all the Monty owners together.

Sven, I never got your PM message but I got a message into my email from you via this web site. I have also sent you an email with my phone number. Let me know if you get it. I am not sure why our emails are not working. my email address is lois.potvin@sympatico.ca.