Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Kitchen drawers

Anyone got an elegant way to keep the kitchen drawers and cabinets from opening while traveling? Ive jammed a few recently between the island and the kitchen slide.

BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We used to use small bungee cords on our cabinets in the 3400. Another option is the child-type locks for the inside of the drawers and cabinets. I am sure there are several other proven methods from the MOC membership who hopefully will chime in shortly! The drawers are problematic when the spring clasps are too loose and can be replaced with a stouter clasp.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I got a screwdriver and got in the male end of the latch and tried to spread out the little triangle catch some and also moved the female end out to the outside edge of the cabinet so the male end sank the whole way into it. It has helped and most stay closed but I have a few that have heavier items in them so those are usualy the doubles so I cut some velcro strips and just loop it around the 2 handles to hold them traveling. The only drawers I have problems with still are the bedroom ones but they can't go far. If you have a pots and pan big drawer below the frig I got one of those slide latchs and drilled a hole in the side of the drawer for it and it works pretty good. I know they sell latchs that are just like the ones we have that are a lot stiffer cause I have had them before just have to browse the hardware stores.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I only had one drawer that came open regularly when traveling. But after adjusting the spring latch it now stays closed even on rough highways.

Almost all my overhead cabinet doors are in two door sets that open out from each other. That means the pull handles are close together. For those cabinet doors, I use a short strip of double sided velcro and wrap it thru the two handles so it holds both doors shut. Bought it at Lowes. Comes in a roll and has hooks on one side and fuzzy stuff on the other. The other cabinet doors have never been a problem coming open.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Its obvious that none of these manufactures or the people that design the RV's have ever owned or used them for the way they are put together. There are so many problems that could be avoided by better latches, a few more screws and plain better design plus some pride in workmanship for a better product. Never going to happen.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the service center put double latchs on the couple drawers that came open while travelling on this new Big Sky/We use bungee cotrds on the cabinets.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I went to lowes and got new latches like the factory ones and put another one on each drawer that came out when traveling. Now with two they stay shut and are not hard to open.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

I went to lowes and got new latches like the factory ones and put another one on each drawer that came out when traveling. Now with two they stay shut and are not hard to open.
Bobby
X2 on this solution. We use small velcro strips on our cabinet doors.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
The founders of Country Coach Motorhomes used to travel in their products on a regular basis. Ditto for John Dodgen of Born Free motorhomes. They were always improving things based on their own experiences. NOT DITTO FOR THE COMPANIES THAT BUILD 5th wheels. If the president of Keystone actually used his products I'd bet there would be a whole raft of improvements coming.

I wonder if anyone in a position of authority at Keystone ever reads the items in MOC.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #10
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
I'll give you a Part 1 answer to your question until we pull a camera out and re-create what we do when we travel: You can keep stacks of drawers shut easily by dropping a yard stick, a long tension rod, or any other straight, more or less rigid, rod through the drawer pulls. Piece o' cake!!

Diane & Mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have never had a problem with drawers and expect you might have to check the adjustments on the latches. I'll admit since we don't full time, the drawers in my Monty don't carry as much weight which also might be some of the cause for the latches not being able to hold.

I did have a problem with an overhead cabinet door, but an adjustment of the catch solved that. We use rubberized pads to minimize movement of the contents and lightweight contents for the same reasons. No ceramic, no glass and no heavy pots and pans in our rig, but we don't live in the Monty.

If you have this problem a lot, and must use more durable, heavier contents then as suggested by others, you might have to shore up the latches. So far there's some pretty clever ideas.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I've used reusable zip ties
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
You folks are the best....some good ideas here. I'll try a few and pick the one that works for us.
As always, Thanks a bunch.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote