Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #21
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by flsts

The DW and I spent a week at Organ Pipe First week of Feb this year. No problems for us. Great RV park(no hookups). I'd go back in a heartbeat. We even went on a 4 mile hike on one of the trails (just the two of us and the trail was about 15 miles from the campground in Ajo Mountain). They have a great visitor center and very knowledgeable rangers and volunteers there. We plan on going back next year in the May/June time frame when all the cactus are in bloom. We may apply for a guest hosting assignment for a few months.
Dave
If you guest host let us know, it would be a great time to visit the park. We would feel very safe knowing who was hosting.

helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #22
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We lived in the park for 10 months over 3 winters as volunteers. The two of us hiked over 900 miles through the wilderness areas of this beautiful park. We would still be there volunteering if we hadn't decided to settle down and buy a home in Green Valley (40 miles north of the Mexican border).

One must always be alert and aware of their surroundings whether you are on the Mexican border or walking through New York City (where I worked for many years).

This article was written about ONE section of the park which is ON the border and is closed to visitors. A very few times throughout the year special arrangements are made for visitors to visit this beautiful oasis.

A fellow volunteer made these comments about the article:
"I do not like this article at all. I cannot dispute the facts it is based on but the emphasis on the negative is disturbing. Kris Eggle, the law enforcement ranger was shot by members of a drug gang, but they were not engaged in smuggling drugs across the park. They had shot someone in Mexico and were being pursued by the federales (the Mexican police) In an attempt to get away, they ran for the border. The federales called ahead and Kris and some other US law enforcement officers intercepted them. When the car they were in was stopped, one of the fugitives surrendered; the other one ran. Kris went after the runner and was shot. It was a tragic event; Kris was a good man and very well liked. It was something has happened too many times when criminals are fleeing between two jurisdictions, be it national borders, state lines, or between counties. Hot pursuit events are very dangerous to all officers involved. This article should have emphasized the fact that enough progress has been made so that more of the park has been re-opened to visitor use. That is the real story here. Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is a very beautiful and special place and anyone who lets this negative publicity scare them away from visiting it is missing out on a wonderful experience."

Happy RVing and stay safe!

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #23
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
"Wow! What a beautiful place! Hot showers. No power or water, but the sites are large, level, and gorgeous set right in the desert. February was wonderful with spring flowers with nice temperatures. Dark at night to see stars. Friendly rangers. "

Copied from rvparkreviews.

I stand corrected in the amenities of this gorgeous campground. We drove thru & did not stay, but do plan (hopefully) to go there for some night sky views!

I apologize if I led someone astray with my mis-info!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote