Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Main Slide Trouble

I have a problem with the living room slide in my 2006 3000RK. When I open the slide it moves smoothly for about 8 or 10 inches and then there is a loud clunk, the slide shudders and then continues to extend smoothly the rest of the way. When closing, the pattern is repeated in reverse--smooth til it is almost closed, then the same noise and shudder followed by smoothly closing the rest of the way. It sounds and feels as if a gear tooth has broken off.

I looked under the slide examined and the 2 gear rails that run the width of the underside of the slide and the 2 gears that mesh with the rails -- the teeth appear to be ok.

Any ideas?

bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You looked where I would have suggested. You might observe it while someone else runs the switch and see if that help remember safety glasses if it is a tooth chipping.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It could also be at the seam where the slide tries to extend and drop, or retract and raise. This requires someone to lift up the flooring while someone operates the switch a maybe with the remote. The clue is that it moves for a while before you hear the noise.

Maybe the cable/hose guide got mispositioned and is creating interence. Sounds like you might also need an extra set of ears and eyes to watch the interaction. Be careful not to pinch or hurt yourselves. The power of those slides would make me nervous but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Please post what you find. I've never heard of this problem before and it will be interesting to know what you find and how you correct it. Best of luck.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
It's a good suggestion to have an extra set of eyes and ears. SAFETY FIRST!!
I'd suggest stopping the extend/retract the moment you get the noise and chalk mark the gear rail each way. That way you know if it is happening at the same point. If it is, look for obstructions and alignment of the slide and gearing at that point. Also look at the lip where the slide rides on to see of there is a gouge at the point where you stop. Sounds like you have some detective work to do! Good luck. Please let us know what you find.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Guys, thanks very much for your responses. It sounds like this problem is way beyond my competence level. We're going to be passing through Elkhart IN in 3 weeks. I've made an appointment with the Montana dealer to look at it. I'm hoping he'll have fairly quick access to whatever parts may be needed.

Again, I appreciate the input.

Bob
Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
cehcplh1

M.O.C. #9339
Had the same problem with the big slide. Problem solved. The adjustment bolts and lock down bolts where the slide arms connect to the slide were loose. They were loose from the factory.
cehcplh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Thanks for the input, Charlie. I hope it turns out to be that easy to fix. I've got an appointment to take it in to a dealer on Monday. We'll see.
Bob
Old 08-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Try calling the service center and see if they will check it out????
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Steve,
I presume you are talking about the service center at the factory in Indiana. I tried the customer service number last week and got a recording. I left a message, but they never returned the call. I'll try them again tomorrow. Do you have a number for the service center, or is it done through the customer service? They did some work on my unit back in 2006 when I was at the Montana rally. Do you know whether they just do that during the rally, or other at times as well?
Bob