Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Tow vehicle extended warranty

I am looking for info on extended coverage for my Dodge 2007.5 with 6.7 diesel and 6 sp automatic. I have about 30,000 mi. at this time. I have had the turbo replaced and about 4-5 other smaller items worked on so far (and yes they were covered under warranty). Here is a little info on the warranty I have from factory,power train 36 month/36,000 miles,Diesel engine 60/100,000,emission 60/100,000.
So with that info is there someone in the MOC that has a extended warranty policy to boost coverage on the trany and electrical systems to a 60 month/100,000 miles. I if so who has the coverage,cost,and good or bad points to this coverage.
Thanks for any input: Larry in Olympia

Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Larry: I have an 08 6.7L with 6 sp auto and I got the extended coverage thru Chrysler -- bought it from the dealer at the time of purchase -- they have quite a bit of latitude on pricing (and I hope it is still valid given the current state of affairs).... I got the one that basically covers everything from window motors to brake booster -- 100.00 deductible but they have 50 and 0 dollar available as well. I had another 'outside' plan but everytimg I went in for anything it took forever to get approval; if it was ever approved. With the Chrysler one (I've had an 03, 06 and then my 08 and on each I've purchased the plan) - all I do is drop it off and pay the 100.00 when I pick it up. Been super. When I traded I was even given a credit refund on the unused portions of the earlier one (06); the 03 I had reached the mileage end.

Hope this helps some.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Skypilot: Thanks for the input. I will talk to Chrysler to see how the plans work. I can see that outside plan could be a headache. Do you happen to remember the cost to get this coverage?
Thanks Larry in Olympia
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Usually the Chrysler Warranties have to be put on before your vehicle is off warranty. My extended warranty is 0 deductible. A friend got one that includes 2 oil changes a year just recently from Chrysler. They had several different ones.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had a extended warranty on our 2008 Chevy 3500HD DRW's. It was called wrap insurance which extended the complete warranty to 100,000 miles on everything. Never used it, only had to return to have one warranty recall. That was the first and last time I will buy a extended warranty. I really don't think the extended warranty is worth the cost. If you take the money, what ever it cost and put it into a repair fund in most cases you will come out money ahead. I agree it does help mentality. All the GM Trucks we have owned we have only had to go back for warranty work less than 5 times. And that counts the recalls. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I have been buying new vehicles since 1973 (used ones before that), and have bought a lot of them in all forms - cars, trucks and vans. I have never bought an extended warranty for any of them, and I have only had one vehicle that an extended warranty would have paid off (barely). Take the money that a warranty costs and stick it in a savings account.

Remember, in buying an extended warranty, you in essence betting your vehicle is going to break down. If they were that prone to repairs, no one would be offering extended warranties.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Got to agree with Tom on this one. Years ago I purchased a new 86 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer series and was talked into buying the extended warranty. Among other things it also covered rust. If you will recall Ford had problems with tailgates rusting out at the very bottom. This is what happened to my Bronco and sure enough the ext. warranty paid for the repairs BUT the Eddie Bauer series had a graphic trim piece that ran across the bottom of the gate. This they would NOT replace because they would have had to either buy the entire graphic package from Ford or have someone paint it on.
Well you all know me, I blew my stack as the warranty pretty much had said the repair would be like the rust never happened. "If that's the case replace the dam& graphic" I said. They said "NO". Let me tell you, you don't want me voicing my opinion of this BS in your showroom with a 1/2 dozen customers watching. I was politely asked to go into the owners office to settle this matter. In order to get me out of there the owner refunded the cost of the ext. warranty and, ARE YOU READY FOR THIS, never charged me one penny for the repair of the tailgate.
Two years later I traded that Bronco and never did have the graphic replaced.

Extended Warranties??? Not me, no way, been there, done that, will never do it again!!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Ditto, we've run many new vehicles and have never put extended warranties. If problems don't show in that 60,000 KM to 140,000 KM of warranty on the body and power train then the vehicle normally is fine. Runing 4 new 09 Fords now with 8,000 to 40,000 Km and have not been back to the Dealer for any problems. I have to say that the quality is second to none. To summarize; I would not add extended warranties. Now RVs; different story. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote