Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
ChappyX6
Established Member

M.O.C. #7463
Rain water in ceiling lights

Wow. We were basically given this Monty by my mother in law...so one can't complain BUT while cleaning it (it was stored 2 years before we got it...poor thing) it looked that there had been a roof leak possibly and that water had been in the ceiling lights (no ceiling damage tho). So I went looking on the roof for any damage(roof tape in hand)...didnt find any. So I called the mother in law she said that when she was in alaska she had gotten water in the ceiling lights and called the dealer who told her this was normal in heavy rains??? I thought no way...and searched the posts and havent found anything so...sorry if this is a subject that has come up before but does anyone know anything about this??? Any suggestions to prevent it?

ChappyX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahaahaha - Dealers will fill you with as much BS as you can take if you let them. They usually know you are full when your eyes turn brown.

Water in light fixture = leak.

It may be hard to trace now, as it can run along the ceiling trusses or wires from any source. You'll probably have to start trying to reproduce it with a garden hose, or just let it go and watch what happens next time you're in the rain.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
ChappyX6
Established Member

M.O.C. #7463
LOL thanks...think I'll try the water hose then and pray its an easy fix.
ChappyX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
I would check all the caulking around skylights, vents, air cond and seams on the roof. Anything that has been caulked may leak.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote