Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
scottkeen
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Reston
Posts: 141
M.O.C. #20894
Traveling and Full-Timing with a 90-lb German Shepherd Dog (GSD)?

You know what I'm going to say... My 90-lb GSD named "Ruger" is the nicest friendliest most well-behaved GSD ever.


That aside, I understand that RV parks have an insurance liability policy that either has a dog weight restriction or breed restriction.


I'm going to be selling my condo and moving with my RV from Virginia to Texas this spring/summer, and then full-timing in Texas until I find a place I like and buy a property.


I want to go from Virginia to Florida (to visit family), and then onto Texas, and only want to travel 200-250 miles per day with a 2-3 day stay at a RV park for each leg of the 2,200 mile journey. This trip could take me 20-30 days.


How do you recommend I do this with my GSD?


Thanks,
Scott
__________________
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 QC LB DRW Laramie 6.7L -- Patriot Blue!
2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
rnelan
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Waldorf
Posts: 12
M.O.C. #25153
Love that you have a 2011 model GSD.. LOL

We just put our 13 year old to sleep but I will tell you that we never had a problem in any park as long as we told them up front. GSDs are not really looked at as aggressive anymore.. They are more concerned about bully's and American Stafforshires... Are there any out there that are anal about it, sure.. but common courtesy is all we have needed with our old boy.
rnelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
scottkeen
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Reston
Posts: 141
M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelan View Post
Love that you have a 2011 model GSD.. LOL

We just put our 13 year old to sleep but I will tell you that we never had a problem in any park as long as we told them up front. GSDs are not really looked at as aggressive anymore.. They are more concerned about bully's and American Stafforshires... Are there any out there that are anal about it, sure.. but common courtesy is all we have needed with our old boy.

I'm sorry for your loss. Ruger is 8 years old and is dealing with hip issues, but doing well.


I'm glad to hear you didn't have much of any problem. In your experience, even if the RV park has a policy and and insurance liability that doesn't allow GSDs, did you find that they had some leeway? Does it help to include a photo of the dog?


I wrote to several parks in Texas, one responded so far:


I wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
Do you have any dog breed restrictions at your RV park?
I have a very well-behaved and friendly German Shepherd Dog, and a cat.
I'm looking for a monthly site sometime around June.
Thanks very much,
Scott
Shady Creek RV Park replied:
Quote:
Hi Scott,
We do have restrictions for aggressive dog breeds, but your dog should be fine. Please give us a call for more information and let us know if we can help you with your reservation needs.


Look forward to hearing from you,
Shady Creek RV Park
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191110_151352_rs.jpg (381.1 KB, 21 views)
__________________
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 QC LB DRW Laramie 6.7L -- Patriot Blue!
2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bastrop
Posts: 2,206
M.O.C. #20753
There is not a dog My wife doesn't like. I have her on a 3 dog limit when we hike.
__________________
2019 20th Anniversary Edition 3701LK
B&W 20K for Ford OEM Puck
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW
Poke super lignum unum et diem
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master
 
mhs4771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sebring
Posts: 2,594
M.O.C. #9969
The 90 Lbs might be more of a problem than the Breed. Many Parks now have weight limits that only small ankle bitter can pass.
I would plot out your route and look for possible places to stop within your daily mileage and start calling or looking closely at their web site if they have on, as many post their "Rules and Regs"
The Cat should be a problem. We've been all over the US and most of Canada and no issues with ours, but we do carry up to date Rabies Cert and have been required to show it at some places.
__________________
Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country DRW 4X4 Crew Cab w/Duramax/Allison, Formally 2010 Montana 2955RL, Now Loaded 2016 SOB, Mor/ryde IS, Disc Brakes & Pin Box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Sailun 17.5 Tires.
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Montana Master
 
AZ Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Oro Valley
Posts: 1,868
M.O.C. #20477
Scott,

As long as you check on their "best friend" policy when booking you should have no issue. It may be different back east but a large percentage of the campgrounds out west have no issue with large dogs.
__________________
Zack and Donna plus Millie
2018 Montana 3160RL
2012 F-250
"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Trinidad, TX
Posts: 481
M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. Ruger is 8 years old and is dealing with hip issues, but doing well.


I'm glad to hear you didn't have much of any problem. In your experience, even if the RV park has a policy and and insurance liability that doesn't allow GSDs, did you find that they had some leeway? Does it help to include a photo of the dog?


I wrote to several parks in Texas, one responded so far:


I wrote:

Shady Creek RV Park replied:

Scott,


Two things come to mind when I read your post.



First, you said Ruger has some hip issues. While I don't have hip issues, my wife has had hers replaced. Going up and down the stairs in a 5th wheel for extended periods of time is hard on hips for both people and dogs. Hopefully it will not be a issue for Ruger. I'm also assuming Ruger is a 9MM GSD?



Second, assuming this is in Aubrey, TX, the Shady Creek RV Park you communicated with is about half way between both of our kids. We haven't been there yet but plan to stay there when we stay for and extended visit. We live about 100 miles SE of that area so we usually just do day trips. If you do chose to stay there please let me know how the park is.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4 Dually Cummins Aisin CC LB / B&W Companion hitch
50 Gallon Transfer Flow in bed tank w/ Trax 3
2018 Montana 3121RL
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master
 
Ram Montana High Country's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: POINTBLANK
Posts: 886
M.O.C. #19944
If you're going across I40 - Yuma TN - Parkers Crossroads - nice park, great folks, do repairs, have a guy that washed my rig for $3 per foot, mostly pull thru sites, on-site pizza available, nice pond, cable and pet friendly.

www.pcrv.com

Good travels!

PM me with any questions about living in Texas - we're in East Texas on Lake Livingston
__________________
RAM 19' DRW 305RL HC EAST TEXAS
MorRyde Steps & Step Box / TrailAir / MOPEKA
Slide Toppers / EMS-HW50C / Sailun 85's
Progressive Dynamics PD9270 / 7K Axles / disc brakes
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,565
M.O.C. #9561
what do you want to know? each rv park has its own rules. if you are planning on staying a specific park make sure you understand their rules. google them or call them....that's it.


here you can start with this google search: https://www.google.com/search?client...allow+big+dogs
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #10
scottkeen
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Reston
Posts: 141
M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
First, you said Ruger has some hip issues. While I don't have hip issues, my wife has had hers replaced. Going up and down the stairs in a 5th wheel for extended periods of time is hard on hips for both people and dogs. Hopefully it will not be a issue for Ruger. I'm also assuming Ruger is a 9MM GSD?

Ruger goes up and down 2 flights of stairs at the condo now, but as he gets older I will set up his ramp (the one I use to get him into the truck) on the 2nd entrance of the 5th wheel. Also planning to get the 4-step MorRyde steps for myself. Ruger as a 9mm? I think he's big enough to be a Ruger 45.



Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
Second, assuming this is in Aubrey, TX, the Shady Creek RV Park you communicated with is about half way between both of our kids. We haven't been there yet but plan to stay there when we stay for and extended visit. We live about 100 miles SE of that area so we usually just do day trips. If you do chose to stay there please let me know how the park is.

Certainly. Will do. I had an message exchange with a couple that full-time in Texas who did a review of Good Shepherd RV Park (30 mins north of Frisco) and Shady Creek RV Park in Aubry. They like both, but warned me that when it rains, Shady Creek RV Park gets really soggy. In my book, soggy today means mosquitoes tomorrow!


They recommended Good Shepherd RV Park, even though it's farther away. And hey, since I've got wheels, I can also move and try somewhere else!
__________________
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 QC LB DRW Laramie 6.7L -- Patriot Blue!
2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #11
scottkeen
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Reston
Posts: 141
M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
If you're going across I40 - Yuma TN - Parkers Crossroads - nice park, great folks, do repairs, have a guy that washed my rig for $3 per foot, mostly pull thru sites, on-site pizza available, nice pond, cable and pet friendly.

www.pcrv.com

Good travels!

PM me with any questions about living in Texas - we're in East Texas on Lake Livingston

Y'know, I was planning to take the long way down I-95 to visit family in Florida first, then cut-across on I-10. But then you said something about "on-site pizza" and I might have to make a course adjustment!


Washing the rig for $3 per foot? If my rig is 37-feet, is that $111 total for all sides, or is that $3/foot per side, left, right, front, and back (about 90 linear feet)?
__________________
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 QC LB DRW Laramie 6.7L -- Patriot Blue!
2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #12
scottkeen
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Reston
Posts: 141
M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
The 90 Lbs might be more of a problem than the Breed. Many Parks now have weight limits that only small ankle bitter can pass.
I would plot out your route and look for possible places to stop within your daily mileage and start calling or looking closely at their web site if they have on, as many post their "Rules and Regs"

German Shepherd Dogs weigh between 60-90 lbs. From what I've seen so far, the parks that have restrictions based on weight have the cutoff around 40 lbs so probably any adult GSD will be prohibited if there's a weight restriction.

I probably won't volunteer Ruger's weight unless asked, but figure if they allow German Shepherd Dogs then hopefully that's good enough!
__________________
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 QC LB DRW Laramie 6.7L -- Patriot Blue!
2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #13
Gunny B
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Peru
Posts: 28
M.O.C. #23153
Sounds like some bad owners have ruined it for others. Untrained dogs don't help either. We have a GS in our area that gets loose real frequently so we do panic with our smaller dogs. Even if was another large breed we would worry. We ended up with a $2k vet bill from a loose dog that tried to kill our little guy on a lead and he had busted ribs and a punctured lung. They burnt me with the bill when I went to knock on their door a week later. Suddenly moved out. Buying a piece of property might be a good thing as long as it is zoned for the use you want.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #14
durason2500hd
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Waterford
Posts: 5
M.O.C. #25194
I've only ran across one park that sent us packing during registration, but that is what KOA said is their policy. Our sweetie is a 85lb Rottweiler that wouldn't hurt anyone or anything. They did recommend a place that was 10 miles away and has turned out to be our favorite park to stay at when we travel from Michigan to Florida for the winter.
durason2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #15
Stix
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Port Orchard
Posts: 6
M.O.C. #25024
We too have a 90 lb. GSD who travels with us. One thing you can mention is obedience training, if applicable, when making reservations. We have also had some parks have no flexibility in their insurance requirements, like in Idaho for the annual get together.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:11 PM   #16
Duckhaulers
New Member
 
Duckhaulers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 2
M.O.C. #21049
There is always a work around with any dog.
I have a blue/red heeler I have him registered as an emotional support dog though ADA Registry only costs a few bucks but it's all worth it.
I live full time in my 3790RD and the park I stay at year round had a small dog only rule with a 15 pound weight limit.
As soon as I got the pup home I registered him, about a week later I received all my paperwork and cards and a vest and showed them to the owner and they were fine with it, as no one can deny him entry.
Anywhere I go so does he but I do suffer from anxiety and he helps me immensely.
I do get some looks at the grocery store the odd time LOL
But you can register any breed and any size of dog.
Duckhaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #17
jeffba
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bastrop
Posts: 2,206
M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckhaulers View Post
There is always a work around with any dog.
I have a blue/red heeler I have him registered as an emotional support dog though ADA Registry only costs a few bucks but it's all worth it.
I live full time in my 3790RD and the park I stay at year round had a small dog only rule with a 15 pound weight limit.
As soon as I got the pup home I registered him, about a week later I received all my paperwork and cards and a vest and showed them to the owner and they were fine with it, as no one can deny him entry.
Anywhere I go so does he but I do suffer from anxiety and he helps me immensely.
I do get some looks at the grocery store the odd time LOL
But you can register any breed and any size of dog.
I would like to see that loop hole closed, so that those that really do need the support animals are not classified with those abusing it.
__________________
2019 20th Anniversary Edition 3701LK
B&W 20K for Ford OEM Puck
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW
Poke super lignum unum et diem
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #18
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Trinidad, TX
Posts: 481
M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I would like to see that loop hole closed, so that those that really do need the support animals are not classified with those abusing it.

Got to admit I agree with jeffba. I know a lady that registered her Yorkie as a therapy dog so she could take it anywhere she traveled for free. That includes planes, trains, hotels, etc.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4 Dually Cummins Aisin CC LB / B&W Companion hitch
50 Gallon Transfer Flow in bed tank w/ Trax 3
2018 Montana 3121RL
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #19
mazboy
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,565
M.O.C. #9561
Just to put my two cents into the above comment, 'The ADA provides no protection for emotional support animals in public accommodations'


I wish businesses would crack down on these people who push their dog on people.


and yes, people could, if they want, refuse these animals.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #20
BB_TX
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: McKinney
Posts: 5,311
M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckhaulers View Post
There is always a work around with any dog.
...........
I have no problem with support animals when they are a medical necessity. However, I do have a problem with your statement. It implies that if you want to take your pet every where you go for no justifiable reason other than you just want to, then just get an permit and all is good. And that is the problem with abuse of the system. I feel the permit should be given only based on needs as prescribed in a written statement by a qualified physician or psychologist.

None of the previous posters have implied they NEED their animal at all times, They simply want to take them when traveling. Getting the permit simply by filling out paperwork to "work around" the restrictions begs to be abused.
__________________
Bill & Patricia

2007 3075RL
2012 F350 SRW CC LB FX4 6.7
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×