Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2023, 08:09 AM   #1
Dxd07pb

M.O.C. #33714
Manuals

Hey first time here I've purchased recently a 2021 3300dl 5th wheel montana om tring to figure out things like the back up camera which if I have to have a monitor it didn't vote with its suppose to be a manufacturer Install I have no guides with the coach so I'm tring to get what I can off the net but it's very generic

Dxd07pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #2
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
First welcome and enjoy the camper. About the back up camera. Don’t know of one coming with any camper from the factory. Not saying yours didn’t but never herd of it myself. They normally come pre wired for one. You will need to purchase the one you decide on and install it or have it installed. Normally you will get 2 side cameras, 1 rear camera and a monitor with the kit. I have the furrion system on mine. Been happy with it but there are other brands out there. Wasn’t hard to install at all. Also go into settings and make a signature providing the camper information name year n brand. That way when you have questions it will make it easier to get an answer. Again enjoy and welcome
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 10:19 AM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxd07pb View Post
Hey first time here I've purchased recently a 2021 3300dl 5th wheel montana om tring to figure out things like the back up camera which if I have to have a monitor it didn't vote with its suppose to be a manufacturer Install I have no guides with the coach so I'm tring to get what I can off the net but it's very generic
First off welcome to the MOC.
Secondly there isn't a model specific manual for trailers. Heartlands website has some information.

https://heartlandrvs.com/owners-manual/
Old 12-09-2023, 12:41 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums and congrats on getting your Montana.

About manuals? Keystone has a very generic manual that is applicable to any camper. They are informative to a degree, but not specific to your model.

For everything else, if manuals are provided, you are fortunate. Otherwise, each item's manufacturer in your camper will have to be located separately.

You are doing the right thing by searching the internet and downloading the manuals you need. I have several I've downloaded. It is only those items I've added after market that I have paper copies of. (Those things I've purchased myself), and then, even some of them don't have manuals ... like my small Roku televisions or my Boise sound bar. So, search the "net", download, print what you need, and maintain your own library. That's what we all have to do.

About the back up camera. Furrion is probably the most known, only because Keystone and Keystone dealerships push them. There are other brands "out there" that may work better for you, are cheaper, and will serve you better than Furrion. But the back-up camera is an item the manufacturer does not provide, because personal preference is simply too varied. It's something like, the RV manufacturer supplying your camper with cookware or the blankets for your bed. Those items are supplied by the owner.

Here's a link to the Furrion site. Again, Furrion is not the cheapest, but it probably is the most popular: Click here.

One more thing you may add to your arsenal of information about your camper, is to search YouTube videos. Pretty much, every RV model ever created has a video on it. Pretty much every item ever manufactured has a video on it. In addition, pretty much ANY repair you need to do on your camper, there will be a video on it. Book mark these video sites and keep them for future reference as you stumble into them. These can be extremely valuable in your future.

I wish you well with your new Montana and hope you have great success making new memories as you travel. Happy Camping! And again .... Welcome!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:54 PM   #5
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
My 2015 3100rl came with a backup camera, pretty sure it was part of the Legacy pkg. Yes you will need a monitor, the dealer or private party you bought it from should have it. On the other hand, I find my backup camera to be almost worthless and usually don’t even hook up the monitor in my truck. Our work trucks had a sticker on the mirrors that said G.O.A.L. “Get Out And Look” and I’m a firm believer in that!
Old 12-10-2023, 08:41 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
... I find my backup camera to be almost worthless and usually don’t even hook up the monitor in my truck. Our work trucks had a sticker on the mirrors that said G.O.A.L. “Get Out And Look” and I’m a firm believer in that!
As Theunz pointed out, back up and observation cameras are not all they are cracked up to be. I don't think the intent, however, is to replace G.O.A.L. but to supplement G.O.A.L. They are useful and do have a place, but should not be a replacement for G.O.A.L. because one simply does not want to get out of their drivers seat when parking.

"Observation" cameras are a bit more helpful as they display on a screen all the time, not just when in reverse. Side cameras on the side of the camper help spot traffic in that "blind spot" and they do help when turning corners to keep an eye on the curb and edges of the road.

The one thing none of those cameras do though, is show what's above the camper. Low hanging tree branches ("Low" is defined as "anything lower than the height of the tallest point on your camper). This has been my biggest "forget" when backing into a new campsite.... LOOK UP. The best back up and observations do not "look up"... they look down. So.... G.O.A.L is always necessary, even with the best cameras.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:07 PM   #7
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing View Post
First welcome and enjoy the camper. About the back up camera. Don’t know of one coming with any camper from the factory. Not saying yours didn’t but never herd of it myself. They normally come pre wired for one. You will need to purchase the one you decide on and install it or have it installed. Normally you will get 2 side cameras, 1 rear camera and a monitor with the kit. I have the furrion system on mine. Been happy with it but there are other brands out there. Wasn’t hard to install at all. Also go into settings and make a signature providing the camper information name year n brand. That way when you have questions it will make it easier to get an answer. Again enjoy and welcome
Both trailers we have owned (a Lance TT and Montana) came with factory installed back up cameras. On the Montana it (Furrion) was part of the Legacy package and included rear and side cameras. I have only used the camera when I was backing up solo. Otherwise my wife is spotter...and she is really good at it!
ACKLM8 is offline   Reply With Quote