Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2023, 06:04 AM   #1
Jts140
Established Member

M.O.C. #13958
All black hydraulic lines cover falling off them

Has anyone had this happen to them? All my Black hydraulic lines going to either the slides or 6 point level system the coating of plastic is falling off. My orange lines, which are the extend ones are looking good. But the black which are the retract lines are falling apart and showing the white fibers. Its a 2014 Montana. Thanks

2015 GMC DRW 3500
2014 3625RE
Jts140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:08 AM   #2
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
It’s age catching up with the lines or perhaps a defect at the time those return lines were produced .. I would simply get ready to start replacing the lines one by one with new ones made at a local hyd shop or NAPA parts store that builds hoses.

My 2014 has not experienced that yet and I have the 6 point hyd and all slides are hydraulic .

The outer covering is part of the integral hose so it won’t be long before you develop fluid leaks

Image of typical OEM hose construction and image of typical 2 wire strand hyd hose I use when replacing either the orange or black hoses..

It’s a DIY project if you have some basic mech skill sets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9157.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	14960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9158.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	536.9 KB
ID:	14961  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:44 PM   #3
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
Have not noticed this issue on my 2014 either. Agree with ChuckS's comments.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:05 AM   #4
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Two years ago I noticed some hydraulic fluid around several connectors, when the dealer was all done, I needed 9 hydraulic lines replaced. The tech said that the OEM lines were not of high quality at all.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:17 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
Two years ago I noticed some hydraulic fluid around several connectors, when the dealer was all done, I needed 9 hydraulic lines replaced. The tech said that the OEM lines were not of high quality at all.
The OEM hydraulic hoses are ok.. but they tend to leak at the JIC37 fitting right at the compression crimp. And if you nick that outer skin covering you will get a leak.. sooner or later

The 2 strand wire 9/16 OD x 1/4 ID hose is far superior. But.. it adds weight to the overall RV compared to the OEM hoses..

Image of an extend line I nicked when installed my GC2 batteries.the hose ran from the IRC all the way back to the main hydraulic slide cylinders..

I fully intended to drop all the coroplast and quickly realized what a task it would have been.l I measured across at the main hyd slide cylinder rod ends and made a 3 sided cut in the middle of coroplast.

I would have had to remove entire spare tire rack assy and drop a lot of coroplast, insulation and wires to get access to the hose fittings on the cylinders

I now had access to both main slide cylinders and both extend and return hud lines..

Wife helped me pull old hose out with string attached and then used string to snake replacement hose back thru the underbelly

Scrim tape used to seal the 3 edges of cut coroplast and I have future access should another hose in that area have issues or if I need to replace either slide cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9182.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	14964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9180.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	14965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9179.jpeg
Views:	7