Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #81
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A SOB would not have solved any problem. Build quality is the same all over the industry.

I am Montana's biggest cheer leader and harshest critic. we do not make this stuff up. It is what it is good or bad.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #82
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have one of probably many good ones I guess davidaf, in 3 years fulltiming in my 2012 3402rl only one broken toilet pedal, a little missing caulking and a small glitch with the fridge in the first 3 months of ownership and that's it, Smooth sailing since
Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #83
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

I'm one of the lucky guys I guess davidaf, in 3 years fulltiming in my 2012 3402rl only one broken toilet pedal, a little missing caulking and a small glitch with the fridge in the first 3 months of ownership and that's it, Smooth sailing since
Careful, your RV is listening!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #84
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I know Jay, but I had to reassure the man he "might be O.K. even if I may have jinxed myself
Old 12-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #85
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
If it makes you feel better about your purchase, a person can say that poor workmanship is rampant in the RV industry, and that is just the way life deals out problems, but my current tanks have no leaks, and I travel with them pretty full a lot of the time. As boondockers, we dump about every 14 days. We recently dumped after 18 days with no problems. BTW, our sensor have worked accurately for over 16 months without fail.

On our current rig, none of the tanks are built by Star Plastics, the walls look approximately twice as thick, the tanks and fittings are secure with no movement, they are secured on all four sides. And if there was a failure, there is no question in my mind that the dealer, the manufacturer and the RV builder would stand behind their product without question.

Montana builds a great economical product; as full timers we lived in our Montana for over 6 years, but there was a time when we had to decide whether Keystone quality control was worth the price, in our case and the way we wanted to live, it was not worth the cost and frustration.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #86
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
RVs are a money pit... kinda like a boat! We still love ours but have no illusions as to money it will take to keep it reliable and roadworthy. We are currently $850 into "troubleshooting" at CW for a bedroom slide that "creeps" out after being fully closed so we have zero room to be critical. New pump is $1300. Really hope it doesn't come to that.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #87
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
So far mine has been fine and I have no regrets. My biggest issue currently is the black tanks drain design. Worst flow of any RV I've owned. Other than that just silly little issues that I've taken care of myself. I'm certainly not a noobie to the RV world, in fact I probably need an RV Anonymous meeting. The Montana is the 4th RV that I currently own if you include the wife's Westfalia. So, I expect things to go south here and there but Rich's issues are well beyond acceptable, especially when we consider it's only a year and change old, and would have scared me off. Lets hope his is the odd bird and once fixed will only have the normal issues that we all expect.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #88
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Black tank(s) drain design?? we have the 3402rl basically the same as yours and our black tank drains Fast as does the 2 greys ,they are big tanks that hold a lot liquid, what are you used too??
Old 12-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #89
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've had our issues, but not anymore and at times less than friends who've spent up to several hundred thousand dollars more for their rigs. I'm just glad I can be annoyed with most of my money still in my portfolio.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #90
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I get the dummy of the day award. last night it was a bit chilly here in Florida and While sitting here at the PC desk my feet were cold and I said no way this 3402 is way better insulated than the 06 3400 and we have not had this problem so I am looking for a open window or something.

Tonite same deal and when I went behind the counter to mix me up some "medicine" my feet were cold and the kitchen floor was cold. Then I had a "BGO"(blazing glimpse of the obvious) My underbelly is open to the elements and a large hole is cut in it right about under the kitchen counter. I wonder why I felt a draft. I guess the one piece underbelly that I once had does make a difference. The weight of the water from two leaking tanks pulled the sides of the underbelly away from the frame and ripped through the material. Bigger washers and Gorilla tape will do the job. Montana should throw in a couple rolls of Gorilla tape with the purchase. Lucky we are not in really cold or windy weather. a bit more "medicine" and I could care less about cold feet.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #91
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Black tank(s) drain design?? we have the 3402rl basically the same as yours and our black tank drains Fast as does the 2 greys ,they are big tanks that hold a lot liquid, what are you used too??
First this is just an annoyance that I've learned to deal with. What I'm used to is the hose filling and rushing out. Montana fills about half the hose unless I raise the nose a few inches then i get the full rush. There is a visual and audible difference over what I'm used to. With SOBs I can get by with cleaning the tanks every other time and still not have much left over "stuff" in the tank. Monty requires extended cleaning after every dump. Less so if I raise the nose. I'm using RV paper and lots of water, are level according to manual measurements at various locations in the rig. Makes no difference if grey tanks are closed or not. Could be the vent pipe, could be drop not sure. I've just never spent so much time and wasted water on black tank maintenance.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #92
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by davidaf

Honestly I wouldn't have bought mine had I read this thread. In fact I was tossing around SOB vs Montana, a couple very strong threads on another forum helped push me to the Montana side along with a healthy $$ savings. Of course there are Montanas that will never have these problems, mine better be one, but I would have been risk averse particularly buying it as a full time unit and a first time consumer of any Keystone product.
No matter what brand you buy, you will have problems. They may not be the same problems, but there will be problems none the less.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #93
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:First this is just an annoyance that I've learned to deal with. What I'm used to is the hose filling and rushing out. Montana fills about half the hose unless I raise the nose a few inches then i get the full rush. There is a visual and audible difference over what I'm used to. With SOBs I can get by with cleaning the tanks every other time and still not have much left over "stuff" in the tank. Monty requires extended cleaning after every dump. Less so if I raise the nose. I'm using RV paper and lots of water, are level according to manual measurements at various locations in the rig. Makes no difference if grey tanks are closed or not. Could be the vent pipe, could be drop not sure. I've just never spent so much time and wasted water on black tank maintenance.
I agree with the extended cleaning. I can't believe the stuff that still comes out after repeated rinses and fill ups, it drives me crazy. This is a brand new 3402 and I intend to keep the black tank as clean as possible. I wish there was a way to look inside the tank to see what's really going on.

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #94
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Scott, turn the water off, step on flush pedal and look down, you may need a flashlight, you can see the tank
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #95
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Rich, my feet get cold when I go to the "medicine" cabinet as well. Just seems to be a cold spot.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #96
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BethandKevin

Rich, my feet get cold when I go to the "medicine" cabinet as well. Just seems to be a cold spot.
Why don't you fella's put your medicine in a warmer cupboard, however keeping it cool likely saves on ice cubes.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #97
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We buttoned up the underbelly so it is not hanging loose under the Montana. Used gorilla tape and larger washers to mend the holes that were torn when the weight of the water pulled the sides of the underbelly loose.
We are confident that the galley tank eternabond fix will hold. We did not patch up the flap we cut in then underbelly just in case. We will not leave much water in the galley tank and will dump it every day

The leak in the gray tank can not be repaired without dropping the tank and It looks like if we do not fill it over half full it will not dump water down the street.

If the black tank fails we would be in big trouble. so we will dump the black tank every day also. We have zero confidence in the integrity of the holding tanks.

Hope we can hold till we get home were we can take the rig to D&T repair and have the tanks replaced and properly installed.

Very bad experiences with this 2013 Big Sky Far to many failures.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #98
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Well Rich, I am now further convinced to buy the GS Extended Service Plan before my one year warranty ends. I think Montana needs to make holding tanks that crank down like spare tires, or better yet do factory installs of better quality tank supports along with thicker and more durable tank walls including rubber cupeling connections.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #99
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Perhaps, just perhaps, the wall thickness of our tanks have gone the way of plastic water bottle thickness. Sooo thin it's hard to hold them.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #100
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Extended warranty for the 06 3400 more than paid for it self. We do have the GS Extended warranty on the 2013. Would not put these things on the road without a extended warranty. Replacing two tanks at D&T based on what the two tank replacement cost for the 06 3400 will be around 1,000.00/ tanks, Labor, parts replacement insulation maybe underbelly and a properly installed job.