Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2023, 03:37 PM   #1
Boomer56

M.O.C. #33599
Question Wow! Sweet! Oh Oh! What!!??

Howdy everyone. Thanks for letting us join the gang. We are new to the rodeo with our first 5th wheel, a 41' 2021 Montana 3780RL.

After a couple of years towing a 21' Passport around the Western US with two puppies who grew into dogs. You know what that means. Space became an issue. And so did two highway blowouts with the damage that can come from that.

Well, my wife said, "it's time." And she found her dream. So we decided to keep the truck and just had the 5th wheel transported to a park site near WA coast for the next few months. We spent the first 5 days in it feeling like we were living in a dream VRBO with out goldendoodles, while outside an almost perpetual rain was falling (ok, maybe there were a few hours of sun break in there). But lo and behold, over the past 24 hours we've noticed a few things that had me scratching my head. I'm not the smartest, nor the most mechanically/electrically/plumberly-skilled guy, but I do like reading manuals, keeping a few tools handy and exercising little gray cells and a bit of common-sense. So I tried to take 'em in order.

First, was a pool of water that suddenly appeared below the expansive refrigerator (which sits on the kitchen slide) during one of the rain squalls. Couldn't find water running down the slide seal, along the wall or corridor floor. And finally discovered that my wife had placed a large pot of warm soup in the fridge and the fridge fins were shedding water like crazy, dripping into the catchment tray below and the water was spurting out of the drainage hole in the back (which coincidentally on closer inspection was not connected to the drainage hose). Yippee! Solved that one. Likely got disconnected before transport or became disconnected during transport. And I hadn't known to look before.

Second, was discovering bubbling occurring under the vinyl sheet flooring near the wall at the base doorway of the front bedroom, near the driverside bedroom slide. We noticed this during a series of heavy squalls yesterday and as I pushed what felt like water underneath the LVP, trying to essentially squeegee it with my hands back towards the wall, I realized that this appeared to be happening in the floorplan view where the rain and wind were contacting the bedroom slide, so I wondered if somehow the water was being wind-driven past the seals either at the top or bottom of the slide and somehow getting in. Or perhaps getting under the slide topper and being driven down the sides to the floor. It was wet, and dark, and windy, and I didn't have a ladder, so I couldn't rightly tell. But I did go out with umbrella and magnum flashlight and look, and then go out again this morning with camera and look again. But I can't see where the water is coming from.

Third, my wife wanted to use the included Splendide vertical washer/dryer combo today and lo and behold, no water when she initiated the wash cycle. She called me and so I came. Unit installed just inside front door. Tight squeeze to try to reach around to see if water valves were turned on. Mmmmmm. Maybe not turned on, so gave them a ¼ turn to the left. Tried wash cycle. No sound of water. So turned ¼ turn to right. Tried wash cycle. No water running sound. Went online to check if I was turning it the right direction. Confirmed and turned it back left. This time waited a while longer during wash cycle and finally heard water trickling. Went back to what I was doing only to discover that my wife stopped the cycle because she said the trickling sound stopped. Went online to Splendide site and troubleshooting said the problem could be lack of pressure, kinked hose, faulty water inlet valve. But the dealer ran a check on all of that before delivery, but then I remember I had put an adjustable pressure regulator on the main water hose at the spigot so maybe it was that. However, that pressure was reading 42PSI.

So anyone got any ideas? Thank you in advance. I've obviously got a lot to learn and this rig is aiming to teach me!

Boomer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:10 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new RV and post your questions. Lots of smart and experienced folks here. I was not familiar with your floor plan so I thought I would post a screen shot.

You describe three issues -
1. a leak occurring in the front bedroom
2. an issue with water flow and/or your Splendide washing machine
3. a leak at your refrigerator (I believe your unit has a Samsung residential refer)

For future postings you might consider posting the issues as a single question rather than grouping them together. Hopefully some other members can give you ideas for your issues.

Edit: concerning your leak in the bedroom hallway - I marked the floor plan with potential water sources. The bathroom sink (A) should be easy enough to check. Also - flush the potti and look all around the potti for leaks. The Thetford toilet has components that are known weak points for leaks. Look in the linen closet for wet signs that the shower plumbing might be leaking.

The window in the hall (B) could be a source. The first thing I would do is clean the joint (where I colored red) and apply a bead of clear silicone to see if this stops the leak.

Does the leak coincide with when you use the tank flush system? The system has vacuum breaker valves built into the piping and these are notorious for failing and leaking - but these valves are sometimes difficult to locate.

Perhaps someone else can provide guidance for what to look for at the slideout seals (C) but I doubt that is the source of the leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1696.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	15886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	15887  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:30 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the MOC, ya that's a lot. Pictures help.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:19 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
About the Splendid washing machine problem. If you think the problem is water pressure, then fill your fresh water tank, turn off shore water, and turn on your on-board water pump. The water pump is set to the proper pressure. If the washing machine responds correctly with the water pump / fresh water tank, the problem is low water pressure and your water pressure regulator is probably the problem

For what it's worth .... WHENEVER you have any water issues, always disconnect the water hose and try running water with your water pump and fresh water tank. Why? Because you can hear the pump running (or not running) if there are ever any leaks or problems. An attached garden hose can pass a hundreds of gallons of water through your system, flooding your underbelly and doing a lot of damage before you even know there is a problem. If you run your on-board water pump, the water pressure will always be the same, never have worry about water pressure differences wherever you go, and if you spring a leak, you can hear the water pump running, alerting you water is running somewhere, and you know everything SHOULD be turned off. It takes only 3 ounces of water to turn the on-board water pump on and off. That's enough to alert you you have a problem and 3 ounces spilled on the floor won't hurt anything. On the other hand, being attached to city water, you never hear the water running. You can easily run 300-1000 gallons of water and never know you have a leak, until water is running under your feet, and you are in bed!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie help, washer/dryer, water leak, water pressure