Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2023, 07:21 AM   #1
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
East glacier at Highway 49 to Two Medicines CG

We have a 36 foot 5th wheel. We’re going to Glacier National Park September 9th to September 13. We will be coming from the town of West Glacier after visiting some friends.

During this time. I understand St. Mary’s Campground is first come first serve. We would also like to go to Two Medicines Campground for day or two. Which I understand will require reservations four days in advance. But if I remember correctly coming from East glacier on Highway 49 there is a low railroad underpass that our 5th wheel which is 13’ 6” will not be able to get under. Am I correct? Is there any way around this low underpass?

Thus, we will have to go to Browning and then come back on Highway 89 to connect to Highway 49 and come in to Two Medicines from the north. If I remember correctly the road from Highway 89 to Highway 49 is somewhat twisting but doable (?) With our 5th wheel. Am I correct?
All suggestions are welcome

TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 09:02 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We were at KoA East Glacier in St Mary's about a month ago. Toured the area. Beautiful. We drove to East Glacier down MT-49 without the rig. I would NOT take a 36' 5er up that road. There are a couple of switchbacks that might give you problems.
The biggest problem is in East Glacier at US-2 and MT-49 there is a low Railway bridge. I'm pretty sure you won't go under it. Take US-2 to Browning and then US-89 to St. Mary's.
About St. Marys Campground in GNP East. Small rigs (20') won't have a problem in many sites. Big rigs will only fit in the group campsites. I think the group sites are reservations. Check Recreation.gov. They have the sites outlined with Big rocks and posts (not movable). From Google maps satellite view, you may think you can get into it, but the posts and the rocks will be challenging. Watch for low branches.
In fact, if you have bikes, stop at the visitors center at the gate. Ride your bikes through (very nearby) and have a look before you go in.
Take the Going to the Sun road tour on the red bus. There is NO parking at the top of Logan Pass. We went twice with the dually. First time turned around in the parking lot. Second time went on over to McDonald's lake lodge and had lunch. The road is no fun in a dually. Had to stop numerous times on the west side of Logan pass to let other trucks, Red Bus and tour vans pass.
As for parking near hiking trails, go very early in the morning or late afternoon. They fill up fast.
They do have a shuttle bus service. It started just days before we left. Take the shuttle to where you want to go if it is running. Then you don't have to worry about parking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230728-083633_Maps.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	15085   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230622_185027.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	15086  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote