Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Add'l cupboard for 3575

If you are like us, you always need some more cupboard space. Got to looking at the drawers in the desk and wishing that they were deeper. Figured there was about two cu. ft. of waste space behind the drawers that we could use. Ordered a couple of cupboard doors and matching hardware from the factory (matched the ones for the bedroom TV cabinet--the other door is for another project).

It wasn't great carpentry work, but it isn't out in the open. Take the drawers out so you can see what is going on in there. Cut a hole in the rear side of the desk behind the drawer area about an inch shorter on all sides than the door is. Took 2" X 3/4" wood to frame around the hole to attch to door to. You can tie it into the desk frame to make it sturdier. Only rough spot is that I had to put screws through the side of the desk into the framing to hold it in some places, but with the dining room chairs there you can't see it.

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Every inch counts! Any pictures?
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:06 AM   #3
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Mobilrvn,
Odd that you should mention that space. As we are changing out all of the Drawer Glides, I too noticed the empty space behind the drawers. I talked to Mel about it and he said he could put in a small shelf and door in there without too much trouble. We were going to look at Home Depot or Lowes to see if they had a Cupboard Door there, that would work, but if we can order exact matching ones from the factory I think I would rather do that. Can you PM us on from where you ordered yours?

We were or rather I was thinking this would be a great place for the Vac bag and accessories, so I can better utilize the cupboard it now resides in,(I just have to work around the woofer that is in there). If you have pics of your finished job we'd really like to see it too.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good idea, Mobilrvn! I added a door below the bottom drawer so we can use that space but had not thought about the space behind the drawers.

Melnjoy, We got the doors from either Home Depot but saw the same thing at Lowe's. They both order from the same place. If I recall, Golden Oak is the color you want. You can order custom cut size. I had measurements down to 1/8 inch when I ordered. When you arrive at the rally (we're in site 97) I'll show you the doors so you can decide for yourself how well they match. I think they're a perfect match. We also put one below the oven.

Now I need to see how much room we have left behind the drawers. I put insulation along the back wall so that eats up some of that space.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Steve,
Thanks for the info. We'll check out your doors when we get up there. I think the space behind the drawers is going to be about 12", at least on ours it is.
Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Sorry we don't have an pix. You can't buy the doors directly from Montana, you have to go through a dealer. Think the pair of doors and the hardware (of course, the factory sent the wrong year which we had to trade out) were about $65.00 including tax.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote