Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
New map site found.

While working(?) at the dealership today, I had to pick up a customer at their house. I was not familier with their location and the service advisor looked up their house on this site.
Enter "live search maps" and it brings up the US map. You put in the house number and the zip code and bingo, there is the street. If you click on the birds eye view, the house will come up in full color and can be rotated 360 deg, meaning you can see the house from the side or even the back. As in our case, we must have been gone as our Montana was not at home but our neighbors was.
What I think will help is to put in a cg and actually look at the streets to get to it. Lots of possibilities here!

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Emmel,
I checked out the Bing.com site. That is really good. Thanks for the info. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Love maps!! (just not enamered with GPS)

I regress. Been using Bing and Google for quite some time. Try BOTH. They have different views. For those who have followed my blog for a while, several of my posts have just these maps included in the graphics. I have been able to zoom in on the campsite, the specific site, I am reserving. Remember the "Not all campsites are created equal" blog, that map was done with Google or Bing, you could see the trees that gave CountryGuy such fits and almost blew out the side rear window on Tana.

Be aware tho, that not all areas are created equal. Some places you can zoom much closer than others. Have a cemetery in Atlanta I was zooming and investigating for a class I was going to teach, got close enough to see a funeral tent top. Not close enough to read the headstone tho! Other areas where they have not recorded such nice close up images, you will not have those remarkable results.

Just for fun try a campground you have recently visited. Zoom in and out, and be sure to look at both Google and Bing.

Gosh I LOVE maps!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bing and google are fantastic aids! We also use our GPS; and sometimes Google Earth will tell us if there is enough room to turn around.....or not.

We couldn't imagine doing what we do without these tools, they are wonderful!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use both Bing and Google Earth sometimes to check out prospective rv parks. Sometimes it helps understand a little about the park, sometimes it doesn't. Those are really cool sites, though. One of our sons and his wife just moved to a different state and got an apartment to start with. With these maps I could get a "bird's eye view" of their apt building and the surrounding area.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I am not sure I found the right site but I did find one that had pictures of my house after typing in the address.

What I found was that my Monty was not there! So the pictures were taken during the rare instances when we were not there, but neither was our car or truck. Guess what? I changed the direction of the view and found a new picture that still did not have the Monty, or my car, but had my truck. I now know what week that was taken. The last week of April, 2009. We had taken in the car for warranty work. We also decided to take the rig out locally (we do this, so it gets some use). We had returned home to check on things on a couple of occasions that week. Very cool.

Nothing wrong with having too many tools even for mapping and guidance.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Live Search Maps is a Microsoft term used in Streets & Trips. Microsoft merged their map program with Bing. If you type in maps.live.com you will get Bing.

Now, put in a city location, and state, in the Bing search pane. Once your city is up, put RV Park in the search pane. (or campground, or RV resort, etc.,) You can even put in Italian Restaurant, and your map will be populated with locations of those items you placed in the searh pane. I use it a lot when traveling.

Thanks.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
For fun, find the Sydney Opera House on Google Earth, then explore the area around it. This is by far the most resolution that I have ever seen. I found a lady walking out to her car with her grocery bags in her arms, a jogger jogging, people having a get-together in their back yard. Downright creepy!

Does anybody know of a combination of PC-based trip planning and mobile GPS unit? I'm hoping to hear about an alternate to taking S&T on PC in the TV.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We are being watched. We couldn't do with the Garmin, we have a Garmin 2720 that we move between Vehicles. The freightliner has a Garmin in dash system with the CD, DVD, AF/FM and Sirus. We also use Streets and Smith along with Google earth. We are kinda looking for a system we can use in and around the stick house, like Satellite system? GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, I tried the map site and found an 8 year old picture of where our house was in Anchorage, Alaska. We built in 2001 and the house wasn't in the pict. I guess some are older than others.....Google was much more current. It's nice to have another source though.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote