Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Suburban on demand water heater freeze protect running

I have the suburban on demand water heater. We are getting our first cold snap in central TX. We are leaving tomorrow for the Houston area, and as I’m getting things ready I can hear the water heater’s freeze protection cycle running. Every few minutes the fan winds up and I can hear the lighter clicking. I’m plugged into shore power. The propane is off and I drained the unit yesterday to get ready for this cold front (bitter cold temps all the way down to 29!!). The water heater switch inside is off...but it’s just going to town...whiiirrr-buzzzzzz-clickity ckickity ckickity...then off for a few minutes.

I called suburban last winter and they basically said it was doing what it should do when it senses temps in the high 30s, and don’t worry about it. But I do worry about it. Is there a way to shut the thing off completely. I suppose the breaker would do it...but it just seems to me that there should be a button or a setting to tell the thing to STOP. Suggestions? Or don’t worry about it?

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you have already drained the unit you probably should have already turned off the breaker to it. No need to keep power turned on if you aren’t using it.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
At one of our stops along the way today I noticed it was still cycling away. The must be a 12 volt fuse and a 110 breaker. I will look into it this weekend.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote