Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Cross country trip including NYC, D.C. etc

Wow, hard to believe I haven't posted in so long (love the new forum look and feel).
Finally time to take a real trip in our Monty after living in it for 7 months back in 2016!
Heading from So. Cal to New Hampshire mostly on I-70 and then over to the Atlantic Coast to Boston and then south with stays in NYC, Wash. D.C. and then down to Williamsburg area in Virginia.
Planning on about 3 full days in each area for the usual tourist and sight seeing stuff.
I would LOVE advice and recommendations from anyone who has traveled through this area! Planning this trip now for May.
Thanks in advance for any warnings, advice, tips etc!

Old 04-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #2
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Well I have done this trip and it was a blast. There is so much to see between here and there. In Washington DC we stayed at Cherry Hill campground very nice with a buss that takes you into town so you can catch the bus for a tour of the city. Be prepared to be impressed. You will want to stay hare longer than you think. Next is New York. Crappy campground and it's the only one that is close to lower Manhattan.
This place is a dive and no sewer and the showers were nasty. There is a dump station but You don't want to move your 5er once you get it parked which was a challenge. You have to walk around the marina to catch a ferry to the city, best way to go. You need to see the 9/11 museum WOW is all I can say. The One Trade center is right there also and the elevator to the top is amazing and a must. Trust me . DON'T miss out on the view at the top. We had lunch up there. We also went to the Empire state building very cool. We went to the very top of that one also. Its more money but how many times will you be able to do this. Bring lots of money for toll roads. New York has some expensive roads and New Jersey where the campground is not cheap ether. The Statue of Liberty is a must see. You can drive there not far and you can avoid the toll road if you set your nav to avoid them. Take your senior pass National park. Dont park at the first parking lot drive down the road to the end there are spots there FREE.
We also did the new England states. Lots of lighthouses to see and we did. Vermont and New Hampshire are beautiful Get some maple syrup. Buy some for some friends or keep it all for yourself. YUMMY. I have way more to say because this trip was so full of stuff but i will let others chime in. We live in Norcal and went across the upper U.S. and back through the middle. Don't forget Cadillac Ranch. It's just outside Amarillo TX. Safe travels
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would recommend seeing the Skyline drive and the Blueridge Parkway. That will take you through the prettiest part of Va and N.C.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks for the recommendations!

We are staying in the Rindge NH area at Woodmore Campground for a few days and then heading to Boston area for a couple days (Pinewood Lodge RV in Plymouth) then to NYC for 3 full days.

And yes, we are staying at Liberty Harbor which we realize is just an ugly (and expensive) parking lot on NJ side of the river, but as you say it is so close to Manhattan etc. that we will just deal with it I guess.

Also staying at Cherry Hill RV in D.C. area which sounds very nice. Was in D.C. with my son for a field trip years ago and loved it!

Then to Williamsburg and Jamestown area if we can find a place over Memorial Day weekend!

Then heading NW thru Richmond toward Charlottesville to the I-81 SW toward Knoxville. I believe at least part of that is the Blue Ridge Pkwy?
Then on to Memphis, Oklahoma City, Tucumcari (or Albuquerque), Flagstaff and then home in So. Cal.

Got my daughter planning the sightseeing part of the trip and my wife planning meals and packing stuff. Truck and trailer all set to go...

Be gone almost exactly 1 month and probably cover close to 7,000 miles!
I will be posting as I go along when I can!
Old 04-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
In DC be sure to check out all the Smithsonian museums!! In NYNY, just getting around is an adventure! We stayed outside of the city and took a train in. Grand Central and the subways was quite the experience for those of us from more forested parts of the country lol. And absolutely find someplace to have fresh lobster and buy some of that Maple �� Syrup!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Yes, when we were in Washington years ago, we just didn't have much time to do the Smithsonians, but we are making time for it this trip! So much to see and so far to go, it's hard to choose what to do and what to have to pass up...
Old 04-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Blueridge Parkway is the exact opposite of I81. 81 is hustle and bustle down the valleys. The Parkway is slow easy drive on the crest of the Blueridge Mountains. It is said to be one of the 10 prettiest roads in the US. I couldn’t argue with that. It is the prettiest road I’ve ever been on. You can get on it several places of of I80 north of Roanoke and off at Roanoke. It an easy back on I81 at Roanoke or continue on to I77 at Fancy Gap.
The Parkway is a part of the National Park System a National Park. It tells the history of the people of the Blueridge Mountains. There are numerous overlooks and artifacts and homes of the first settlers of the mountains.
Lynwood
Old 04-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #8
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
mlh- A couple of questions regarding the BRP. So obviously it is a road that would be-at least in part-suitable for a large 5th wheel to travel?
Also, we have two Beagles who have at times gotten a bit car sick...is the road extremely winding? I suppose it would be in places and in other areas looks to be relatively straight.
On the day we might try this, we would need to go from Richmond, Virginia area to near Knoxville TN. (about 400 miles) so we couldn't spend too much time sightseeing along the BRP.
Appreciate your feedback!
Old 04-23-2018, 04:34 AM   #9
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
One month is not enough time to do this trip. We did ours and it took 3 months. We stayed about 3 days at most places
Nashville is nice not sure about Knoxville. Memphis is ok. We stayed in west Memphis when we went. It was just across the river. Was told not to stay in Memphis itself. Not as nice area. Bass Pro has a cool place there. I missed it but I will get there. Elvis is there so take the tour of his house. Its a must see. the rest is just ok not much. but the house is very nice.
we stayed here https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-...26list%3Dfalse
It was right on the river. I had a spot in the shade because it was hot. They do have spots on the river if you can get one. Laundry was free when I went.
When in Oklahoma city go visit the Street Outlaws. See Farmtruck and Azn Get some 405 stuff If you are into that stuff. Nice city though.
Albuquerque New Mexico is cool. They have a tram that goes up to Sandia Peak very nice up there.
I plan where to stay and wife plans things to do. Then we sit and figure how long to stay. I make reservations about a month in advance for holidays and then you kind of get locked into a itinerary. I get all the RV park information and put it in a book so I can call on the road and dont have to look them up . Planing is everything. I used over 1,000 gallons of fuel on my last trip just so you know. and averaged 11 MPG
Old 04-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks so much for the detailed info Bone!
I was just looking at the Tom Sawyer RV park, glad to hear your recommendation!
Yes, 1 month is really not enough time to do this trip justice...but it's what we have to work with.
I'm very happy to say just this morning I was able to book a great RV Park right in Williamsburg, VA for the Memorial Day weekend! Thank you Lord!
It's called the Anvil RV park...highly rated and VERY nice, been in business since 1954!
Just a few more places to reserve for the return trip.
I'm with you regarding booking ahead and planning the trip well in advance! Trying to average about 400 miles a day or so with lots of stops along the way for dog potty breaks and walks!
Old 04-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve had my camper on the Parkway several times so it’s something you can do. I always enjoy the Parkway. I’m on it several times each month in the summer. On my motorcycle not camping. Most of the curves are long winding but most of the road is a curve remember it is on the crest of the Blueridge Mountains.
With only one day and you need to go 400 miles that day you aren’t going to see much of the Parkway. That would be like running through a museum. The Parkway is a relaxed slow easy drive the opposite of the interstate.
This is the place that I would recommend someone seeing in this part of the country but it isn’t my trip it’s yours. I would be happy to send you some pictures if that would help. I have several on my IPhone. Let me know.
Lynwood
Old 04-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
We may be planning a trip to Florida this fall and it sounds like a perfect time to plan on driving the BRP and seeing the autumn colors before turning south to Florida! There's always more to see that's for sure...
Old 04-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
We may be planning a trip to Florida this fall and it sounds like a perfect time to plan on driving the BRP and seeing the autumn colors before turning south to Florida! There's always more to see that's for sure...
That time of the year it’s drop dead beautiful especially on the southern end. If you go see the Builtmore estate. The largest private home in the US. His room has leather wall paper hers gold plate.
Lynwood
Old 04-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Stay off ALL parkways in NY. I think it is illegal to pull a trailer on them. I didn't know this and started near Niagra Falls and got over to near Rochester. I noticed the height limit was starting to go down - 14, 13.5, 13.2 (My old trailer was only 12.6). I saw the next height was 12.6 (I think it was at the edge but didn't want to take a chance) so I got off just in time. I later noticed in the Road Atlas about the NY parkways. Live and learn.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:06 AM   #15
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Ya me too. My nav told me to get off the freeway just inside Connecticut and I ended up on a parkway. Guy pulled up beside me and told me that i wasn't allowed to be on there made the next exit.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #16
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway are not RV friendly as someone else may have already pointed out. Find a park off the parkway and explore in your TV.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #17
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
We stayed at Anvil Campground in Williamsburg, VA. It was a lovely park. Right on the road so it had a little noise but but bad at night. Very nice owners. Very close to all the must see sites and the drive to them is gorgeous!
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #18
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams7806 View Post
We stayed at Anvil Campground in Williamsburg, VA. It was a lovely park. Right on the road so it had a little noise but but bad at night. Very nice owners. Very close to all the must see sites and the drive to them is gorgeous!
The only real negative I've read about Anvil is the close proximity of the train tracks (and the train!) but for the Memorial Day weekend, our options were limited so we were fortunate to get this spot!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #19
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
Ya me too. My nav told me to get off the freeway just inside Connecticut and I ended up on a parkway. Guy pulled up beside me and told me that i wasn't allowed to be on there made the next exit.
Hoping my RV Garmin Navigation unit will warn me of these issues, but I'm not going to count on it! Appreciate the heads up on this and I will keep my eyes peeled for the signs and plan ahead!
Old 04-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #20
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
We are planning our next trip. I turn 66 so my wife though a route 66 trip would be nice. Going as far as Springfield Illinois. Then headed to Indiana to visit friends then to go see my mom in Iowa. then to Utah for some national park time before heading to Vegas to visit my wife's friend. Short trip this year. Want to move to the middle of the country so places aren't so far away.