Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Idalogger52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20651
GPS/ phone apps

I’m curious, what do you folks use or like the best.... GPS like a Garmin or one of the many phone apps for your navigation aid? My 2017 F350 have built in Navagation and is able to display phone apps, but I like the features of the Garmin RV units. We hope to go full time next spring and would like a RV oriented navigation aid. Would love to see what you folks recommend. Thanks

Idalogger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
The phone apps have gotten really good. The one big drawback to the phone app is when you lose the cell signal you can not reroute or get other info. For that reason the stand alone garmin is better if your travels take you in areas without cell coverage.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Another consideration is the fact that using a phone up eats up your data. That can get pricey, depending on your plan.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I use Garmin. It’s pretty good but a little pricey I think about $60.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Like's been said, there's nothing like all of a sudden loosing coverage when trying to figure out where you need to go.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Idalogger52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20651
I had thought about the drawbacks of using a phone app and agree with all the comments..... that being said has anyone had experience with the Garmin RV units like the 660RV? Some of the customer reviews weren’t very good as far as navagtion goes. We have a Garmin 2575 and have good results with it. I’m really wanting to get one that will keep us away from low bridges/underpasses and that has campground locations. Have had the unfortunate experience of staring down a 12’6” overpass while towing a 13’ plus tall fifth wheel... that was a 2hour cluster I don’t want to go through again!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Related question. Which is best - an RV GPS or the Semi GPS?
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I have not found a great need for the RV specific functionality in the GPS. Instead I depend on pre-trip planning. GPS can easily get you in trouble if you blindly follow it.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
Idalogger52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20651
I’ve wondered that too. I’ll be interested to hear other members thoughts.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
Idalogger52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20651
Where do you find the info on overpasses/bridge heights? That’s my main concern.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
Related question. Which is best - an RV GPS or the Semi GPS?
I have wondered about that myself. We need a MOC member who is or was a trucker to answer that one! I bet he could also give us some insight on low bridge avoidance! If we don't have anyone, I will eventually catch up with some truckers as we are always stopping at truck stops when we are towing. Just so much easier to get around at a truck stop with a 42' RV in tow. My one thought is that a trucker version may or may not have RV campgrounds on it??

We bought the Good Sam GPS (I don't recall the exact brand or model off top of my head) and it has a lot of RV related info on it for sure. I particularly like the next exit information that helps with rest/fuel/food stops! And unlike a trucker version it has campsites! I like the screen being larger than a phone and it is a dedicated nav. device so you don't lose it when you answer the phone or cell signal. However, we don't solely rely on that one unit. We also use our phones and laptops and pre-trip as much as possible. And I still keep a fairly current Road Atlas handy which is useful for seeing the BIG picture.
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Buy the Rand Mcnally trucker atlas.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #13
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We've used the Garmin RV for four years and about 30k miles or more. Cross country twice, once into Canada and around New England and a bunch of 'small' trips. Only one time have I not listened to it when it tried taking me down a lane and a half wide country road as a short cut and I refused. After about a hundred yards it corrected itself. This was with the correct profile selected as well.

That's the one thing you've got to be on top of is making certain you've either RV or Auto selected at the right time. Otherwise it's been great.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #14
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
We've used the Garmin RV for four years and about 30k miles or more. Cross country twice, once into Canada and around New England and a bunch of 'small' trips. Only one time have I not listened to it when it tried taking me down a lane and a half wide country road as a short cut and I refused. After about a hundred yards it corrected itself. This was with the correct profile selected as well.

That's the one thing you've got to be on top of is making certain you've either RV or Auto selected at the right time. Otherwise it's been great.
Has the Garmin accurately kept you away from the low bridges with plenty of advance notice? I have a Garmin Nuvi but unfortunately it doesn't have the low clearance features. Also have the F350 installed navigation and of course it doesn't give you that information. Too many GPS's!
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #15
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idalogger52 View Post
I had thought about the drawbacks of using a phone app and agree with all the comments..... that being said has anyone had experience with the Garmin RV units like the 660RV? Some of the customer reviews weren’t very good as far as navagtion goes. We have a Garmin 2575 and have good results with it. I’m really wanting to get one that will keep us away from low bridges/underpasses and that has campground locations. Have had the unfortunate experience of staring down a 12’6” overpass while towing a 13’ plus tall fifth wheel... that was a 2hour cluster I don’t want to go through again!
What did you do?

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #16
Idalogger52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20651
Pulled off as far as we could ( 2 lane road ) called the police, after an hour discussion about whether or not to gives us multiple citations , they blocked off traffic allowing us to back up to a side road, ( 200 yds or so) and get turned around .... as I said a real cluster !!!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #17
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
We have the Garmin RV 760 and love it. While traveling in the south, it warned us about an overpass that would not be tall enough for us. It found us an alternate route and off we went. We've had a couple other times before we got the Garmin that caused some tense moments, but luckily we noticed the problem before we got too close. We were able to get turned around easily.
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #18
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
As someone already mentioned, you need to keep a Trucker's Atlas and consult it. They list all low clearance overpasses for each and every location by State. If you are staying on Class I designated highways (Interstates and most U.S. Highways) you will almost never run into an overpass less than 13'6".

We run a Rand RV GPS but we also double check the route with our Trucker's Atlas prior to travel. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #19
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Low bridge been there and done that. I missed the truck route sign and lost the Sat and the front AC. So as a result I did the following.

1 got the Garmin 660 RV GPS.
2 Got a truckers atlas and use it.
3 when in a town or city D/W stopes what she is doing and helps me watch for truck route signs.

On the Garmin, I did make a big mistake, I entered my height as 13'6" actual is 13'3" so I thought I would be ok. It the GPS brought me up to a bridge that was 13'6" and one look and I knew I couldn't make it under, had to make a quick U turn. Luckily I was on a wide 4 lane road. I have changed the required height to 14'0".
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #20
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
We have the Garmin 660. I find it very helpful, since it not only routes you to a suitable route for your entered size, it offers much information about upcoming rest areas, accomodations, and fuel. Always verify any route with a map and your eyes.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote