Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
New Dometic Digital Generator LW3000 Plus???

Just wondering your opinions about this particular generator. The lowest price I have found to date is $855.00. The price seems pretty attractive for a model that claims to run a 13,500 BTU air conditoner, plus it's fairly light weight and quiet as well. Thanks for your opinions.

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
This is the first I've heard of it. The thing that jumped out at me when looking over the specs. is the sound level. 71db to 74db. is not quiet when compared to Honda or Yamaha.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It's definitely louder. The Hondas dbs are in the mid 50s. Since dbs increase logarithmically mid 70s is much louder.

With the generators needing to be turned off at night I'm not that concerned with noise and it sounds loud enough so when it shuts off, it better be because me or someone I know is shutting it off and someone isn't running away with it. I am more concerned about size (fits under a truck bed cover), and that price sounds real good with a Honda 3000 being almost twice that.

But I'll have to check it out. I've got my gennys for now, but others I know are looking for a lesser high-quality alternative aside of what's already out there.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Perhaps some of the "Diehard" boondockers will chime in about the sound level, but I remember my week at Q and a couple other times we have been without "park power" and it seems the times we ran the genny was late night (up until 10pm anyway, I know that's not late Wayne ) and first thing in the morning around 8AM. My purpose for stating this is I'm not sure I would want someone near me with a loud genny running it at those times. I guess one would have to determine where they would boondock to use these things. We only have the one Honda 2000. It seems that if you are somewhere that you need AC that genny may be running quite a bit. Since dbs increase logarithmically mid 70s is much louder. Having worked in the Air Force Hearing Conservation Program I am familiar with this statement and agree wholeheartedly!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
DarMar,
I have not heard of the particular brand you are asking about but if the numbers cited are correct then you do NOT want it for your Montana or any camping process. Those numbers are very loud compared to the industry leaders of Honda and Yamaha. If just going to use at home for power outage then it would probably not be a problem.

A Honda or Yamaha is not that much more than the price you listed and I KNOW you would be happy with one of them. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Perhaps one would be a happier camper with one eu2000 Honda for starters at about the same price level as the Dometic. The Honda eu3000 handi is more than twice the price and is listed with a 65DB sound level I believe, quite a bit louder as well compared to the eu2000. To me the eu3000(non handi) may be just a little bit too heavy for convenience sake at 134 lbs.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Our Honda 2000 will not run our AC but we knew that when we got it. Don't really want to be somewhere that we need an AC while boondocking. That is why they put wheels on these trailers. We will go somewhere that we don't need AC. So far that has worked pretty well.

While I'd really like to have a 3000 they are too heavy for us. Our 2000 will run everything we want to run so we still have just the one. A lot of folks do get two of them and run them together. If we ever find the need for more power we will just buy the second 2000 and we'll be all set.

Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
My first concern would be service and parts. Honda has a very good network for that. As far as the noise goes are Honda and Dometic taking their noise readings at the same distance? A decibel comparison chart I looked at lists 60-70 db for a normal conversation at 3-5 ft. so the Dometic may be a touch on the loud side it probably would not be obnoxious.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:41 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Well Charlie that's a very interesting point you've just brought up. I would have thought that there was a standard for testing the db levels between manufacturers but on another post Ozz talks about a Champion make of generator and guess what, in the specs it is rated at 53 db "at 23 feet"!!! Hmmmm, wonder at what distance the Dometic was tested at or for that matter the Hondas too. Geeeez, now I am really confused by these sound ratings.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Kipor measures there generator db readings at 7m (which is about 23 feet like the dometic measurement is). Honda measures there db readings at 9 feet but on the control panel side. We have the Kipor 3000 and the Honda 2000 and the Honda is definitely quieter, but the Honda also has a smaller engine?? I think it is like any non-standardized testing procedure, the only way to know for sure is to hear it yourself. The loudness is also dependant upon the load at the time, as well as whether or not eco-throttle is engaged. I would venture to guess that all of the db readings that are posted are non-loaded readings. Just a thought.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote