Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
Cable/ Satellite help

Sorry guys but my 2000 Monty didn't have all these new fangled things. Inside the TV cabinet on the left there is a plate with two TV hookups in it. Under it is a label that says Sat Prep. Can I assume the top one is for the antenna and the bottom is for the Sat. On the right side there another plate with only one TV hookup. No label. Is this for the upstairs TV hookup, antenna or what, and do you have to have it hooked into the Sat Rec to get Sat upstairs. Next: Where is the campground cable hookup inside the rig?

pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Paul and Carol-- I don't know if this will help because we have a 2004 2980RL. Our cable hookup is one of two places-- either about half way down the drivers side of the unit or at the very back of the drivers side close to the water fill and city hookup. Our unit is about 45 minutes away so I can't go out and see which it is! Hope this helps and if not hopefully someone will come along and tell you the exact place.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've also got a 2000 Montana but ours only has one jack in the TV cubby hole. It's connected to the outside cable input and to the antenna preamp up in the bedroom. I installed my own satellite jack through the outside into the TV cubby hole where I connect my satellite receiver. The antenna/cable input jack also connects to the satellite receiver but when the satellite receiver is on, the antenna/cable input is automatically disconnected.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Paul and Carol,
Here is a picture that should be what you are describing.

The signal comes from the (park cable or satellite dish), this is the outside bulkhead connection to the jumper (loop) then up to the power box for the batwing outside antenna. Then from the power box back to the entertainment center.

Remember when you watch cable the green light on the power box must be off. Same when you watch satellite, the green light should be off.

If your satellite feed is single coax then you hook your dish to the blukhead connection.
You remove the loop and put your satellite receiver in it's place.
I suggest you hook a coax to the satellite receiver output and screw to one of the two coax connections. Turn on your TV (green light on power box OUT), put your TV to channel 3 (or appropriate channel) and look for signal from receiver. If none move to the other coax connector and try again.
Hook up the other connector to your satellite receiver input and it should work.

Hope this helps.
Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
Thanks John, It looks like there will be quite a bit of trail and error till I get it figured out. My wife just loves that too. I won't be able to do a thing till we get to warmer weather. It's about 25 here in Southern Illinois right now and it seems like 0 in the camper.
pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Paul,
If you look at John's diagram, depending on where that jumper box is, you can do a very simple wiring.

This also depends on the Satellite provider and the type of Satellite receiver you have.

If the jumper box is close to the main television you can remove the jumper cable and wire the input from the outside connection directly to the back of the satellite receiver. If it is one of the newer DISH receivers there will most likely be a "distribution out" jack on the back (RF Type) Plug a cable from that to the other part of the jumper box and you will have satellite in both the front and back televisions. On my DISH receiver I can watch two channels at once. That will depend on if you have a dual LNB and a few other factors, but it is doable.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote