Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Great responses...thanks!!!

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #22
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
We are literally days away from purchasing the 323RL High Country. Negotiating with several dealers in our area to get the best price. You may remember us as the only Mountaineer TT at the past two rallies. We weren't really considering a 5th wheel -- until we saw the High Country at the IND MOC. We were also the only ones that seemed to like the two-tone wood effect. Since this will be our first 5th wheel, we are also seeking "hitch" advice. We have a 2006 Silverado 2500 HD Extend Cab with a 6.5 box. Do we need a slider?

P.S. Only thing we don't like about HC is the glass bowl sinks and prefer a garden tub over neo-angle shower.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #23
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
LuckyNichol...DH loved the 2 tone wood and it seemed to grow on me as well. They will no longer make it because they are going to only one color wood in future models. Have you tried Tiara RV in Goshen/Elkhart, Indiana for prices? They really are very low. Good luck and give us an update!!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #24
northeastdiesel
Established Member

M.O.C. #9611
I just came from a RV show in Hartford CT and I walked threw the 313RE and was very impressed with it. The Fit and finish was spot on and the two-tone wood work is gone. I too was not impressed with the glass bowl sink in the bedroom. Its just not my cup of tea and I feel keeping it clean would be a pain. I loved the Neo-angled shower which was also a small tub which you could wash a child in if you had to. I could come to love sitting in front of the fireplace on a cold falls night! I want to see how well it holds up over time before I would buy it, but right now I am impressed with it alot!
northeastdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #25
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
I will say this about the glass bowl sink. You do not have to bend over as far when brushing your teeth AND you get more counter space. I was not impressed until i used it.
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #26
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Great thread...glad to read all the positive feedback on the H.C. since I put down a deposit on the 333DB this week!
The two tone wood was not our favorite either when we first saw it, but we don't hate it and that was really the only "flaw" we could find in it. Love the bunkhouse and 1/2 bath!
We may modify the rear lower bunks with wider foam (32" instead of 28") for a bit more comfort for the kids.
Can't wait to get it!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #27
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LuckyNichol

We are literally days away from purchasing the 323RL High Country. Negotiating with several dealers in our area to get the best price. You may remember us as the only Mountaineer TT at the past two rallies. We weren't really considering a 5th wheel -- until we saw the High Country at the IND MOC. We were also the only ones that seemed to like the two-tone wood effect. Since this will be our first 5th wheel, we are also seeking "hitch" advice. We have a 2006 Silverado 2500 HD Extend Cab with a 6.5 box. Do we need a slider?

P.S. Only thing we don't like about HC is the glass bowl sinks and prefer a garden tub over neo-angle shower.

Hi,
For my short bed truck (Dodge Ram Megacab) I went with the Pullrite Superglide 16k hitch with their Superrails. Very nice hitch, everybody who uses them swears by them. Never need to worry about forgetting to slide back on a tight turn. Only has to happen once...
Anyway, congrats on your new trailer, good luck with it!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #28
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I would recommend a sliding hitch. As you can see from my signature, we have the Pullrite Superglide 16k. Mine works great and I never have to remember to pull any levers to actuate the slide function. I love it! If there is any possible drawback it would be hitching/unhitching past the 16 degree angle. I have yet to encounter a situation where this was an issue. Even if this occurred, I would just have to pull 4 pins and I could resolve the angle issue. The good FAR outweighs the "bad" for this hitch.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by arcateq

Wheels on ours are the 8 bolt pattern with the E's. Feel free to ask any questions.
Are you sure about the 8 lug wheels? The reason I ask is because the few I've seen up close have 6 lugs. Wondering if they used two different axles/hubs on these trailers? Here is a link to a 333DB High Country that shows 6 lug wheels.
http://www.asrvcenter.com/Showroom/t...-Keystone.aspx
Interesting to note that the description also describes things that are not on the High Country (Corian, MorRyde suspension etc.) Fairly common from the ads I've seen...I think they just use a generic Montana description.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #30
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Definately NOT MorRyde cuz that was one of the big items to keep down on weight. DH says that the suspension is not the same as the Montana either.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #31
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by arcateq

Wheels on ours are the 8 bolt pattern with the E's. Feel free to ask any questions.
Are you sure about the 8 lug wheels? The reason I ask is because the few I've seen up close have 6 lugs. Wondering if they used two different axles/hubs on these trailers? Here is a link to a 333DB High Country that shows 6 lug wheels.
http://www.asrvcenter.com/Showroom/t...-Keystone.aspx
Interesting to note that the description also describes things that are not on the High Country (Corian, MorRyde suspension etc.) Fairly common from the ads I've seen...I think they just use a generic Montana description.
I updated my post. You are correct it is a 6 bolt. They also do not offer the outdoor camping package that was listed with my trailer and on the contract and paperwork along with the Mor/Ride® Don't know if they fixed some of these things for 2011 or not. (Keystone reserves the right to change these things without notice).
Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #32
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Ya, some of the description the dealers use is clearly not accurate and I think refers to the Montana models...not High Country.
Seems like they might use lighter duty axles, hubs, brakes etc. to save weight and also due to the overall lighter weight not requiring the heavier duty stuff.
It definitely does have the Equaflex suspension so that's good. I am going to install my own MorRyde pinbox and probably a Blue Ox Bedsaver (cheap "insurance"). Seriously considering replacing the original tires with Michelin XPS Ribs too...
Planning a road trip to Oklahoma soon!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #33
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Hey Kingdaddy --

Sounds like we are both getting High Countrys. (Happy New Year to us!) Question: one of our brother-in-laws is looking at the 2011 326 RLT Mountaineer -- almost an identical floor plan to the 323RL except slightly different bathroom on the other side. We like HC bath room better.

What's the difference between these 2 units with the same floor plan? I know Mountaineer is slightly cheaper -- but also couple 1,000 pounds heavier.

One concern we have about HC is the counters. When we looked at one, we noticed scratches in counter top which dealer said could be "buffed" out and we wonder if this new type of counter is vulnerable to scratches and if this is going to be an ongoing problem because it's not corian.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #34
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Ya, the Mountaineer 345DBQ is essentially the same as the 333DB H.C. that we are buying. We found the Mountaineer on sale for about the same price as the H.C. but as you mentioned, the downside for us was the added weight. Whether or not the slide mechanisms are better, or the added weight means better quality etc., etc. is another argument, but we had already decided that the H.C. was the right choice for us. Really wanted to stay around 12k GVWR on the trailer and still get the floorplan we wanted which the 333DB has.
As far as the counter surface durability goes...can't comment on that. I guess we'll just try to be careful!
arcateq has had his for several months...maybe he can comment on that?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #35
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
We like our 345DBQ but I do like the glass sink bowel and the Gray outside paint that the H.C. has. I would have guessed the H.C. would have been cheaper than the Mountaineer due to the missing window treatment, lighter weight axles, and the cable slide drive system. Guess that's the price you pay to be able to pull it with a 3/4 ton truck.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #36
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
We have had no problems with the counter tops. We love them. if the scratch is deep i would have the dealer replace it if you want that trailer. I am sitting in our as we speak spending 3 days at Disneyland and man this trailer is great. Although my gray tank is showing 3/4 full on bath one. All pulls our out and hooked to sewer. Not sure what that is about. I have all 4 pulls out that i can find unless there is one hiding! LOL.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #37
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
arcateq...you might want to ask someone more knowledgeable than me, but we never leave our tanks open when hooked up to the sewer. Instead, you should keep them closed and empty them when they get about 3/4 full. Fumes from the sewer can come up inside. My husband knows more about it, but do ask around this forum. I am glad to hear your comments on the High Country because we are considering getting one. Good luck with the tanks!!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #38
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
You can leave the Gray open, but keep the Black closed and dump with 3/4 full. If the black is left open, the liquid will drain out leaving the solids behind creating the dreaded pile of you know what.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #39
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
DW would never, never, ever, ever (did I remember to say never, ever?) let me leave any valve open that discharges into the sewer system. If you ever see her around any type of creepy crawly creature, you would begin to understand. Leaving the valves open allows whatever creepy crawly creatures happen to be habituating the underground labyrinth of pipes to have an open invitation into the rig. Besides, since I am the chief creepy crawler creature eliminator, it saves me work!!! Just trying to be of help!!!!!
Bingo
On edit: I forgot to mention that those indicators are worthless and most of us don't pay attention to them after the initial glance when the rig is new. A few stays and experience or a regular schedule will let you know when to dump.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #40
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
thanks guys...I knew you all would come thru and explain why not to leave the tanks open!!! I forgot about the critters getting in!!