Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Photo of my Breaker Issue on '06 Monty

Hopefully I figured how to upload this photo. I had an issue replacing my circuit breaker for my slide because of the obvious slide issues with Monty. I think I have my wires wrong cause I had the wires overheat as you can see by the melting plastic in the pic. if anyone can verify that I have this correct. The cable on the bottom is headed towards my (+) stop on my battery. My main concern is that the 50 breaker is not what its supposed to be. I bought it at an RV place but there's no gold side. Does that make a difference? As shown in the pic, the left side of the new breaker says "batt" and the other side says "Aux". That seems odd. I ordered the exact replacement from ebay but haven't received yet. Why am I having so many issues just replacing this little breaker.

[IMGJay you, indeed, did post the picture. It is, however, too large. Please resize it to comply with MOC picture policy. Thanks, RVWheels, MOC Admin.http://i55.tinypic.com/2ajqgko.jpg[/IMG]

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
What is that black wire on the load side of the breaker?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
I have no clue
Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Just a comment.
In the 120VAC world I believe white is common and black is "hot" or source.
In the 12VDC world we use red as hot or positive and black as negative or ground.
I have found black used as a hot or 12VDc supply source on some of the wiring in our trailers.

So, track your wires.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
I'm wondering if the small black wire on the right was just on the screw that attached the circuit breaker for grounding purposes and shouldn't be hooked on to the breaker. I think I'll visit a Montana Dealer and hope they have an '06 on the lot. One glance and I'll know where I went wrong. If anyone can send me a photo it would be awesome but I know thats easier said than done
Old 11-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would agree with John's post. The large red wire, I would think goes to the hydraulic system. Look's like the black one goes into the wire loom. Look's like maybe that wire is 10 gauge at most. While short runs of #10 in open air will probably support 50 amps, I find it odd they would connect it to a 50amp breaker then go into a loom with it. Something must be shorted to ground for the wires to be over heating. But again, if that is a fifty amp breaker, it should trip before melting any thing. Puzzling to say the least.

If you have a VOM, and know how to use it, I would lift the wires and check the breaker for a short to ground. Could just be a defective breaker.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Here's a picture of my '06 3500RL. NOTE that the two leftmost circuit breakers are dual 40 amp resetting breakers to provide 80 amps of current protection for the slideout. The single 40 or 50 amp did not seem to do the trick. The third circuit breaker on the right is for the landing gear and the wiring seems to match what you have with your circuit breakers. I have a black wire coming off the post Aux post and the pink wire with an inline fuse just like yours in the BAT post except that I cannot see if the correct BAT and AUX posts are connected correctly in your picture.

On my picture the BAT (+) connections are on the bottom for the duals and the right side post for the rightmost CB. Make sure the same color wires match for your circuit breaker BAT and AUX posts.

Maybe your circuit breaker is bad. I didn't notice the melting you were talking about in your picture and I found that the original 40amp was not enough nor was the 50 amp changed out by the dealer for the slide motot. The dual 40 amps (or you can use 50 amp for 100 amp total) are working just fine. Admittedly I have not touched the wires to see how hot they get, but there is no melting of anything so far.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Wait a minute... there's the clue. In your picture you say the left side of the left circuit breaker says BAT. If this is so, then your leftmost circuit breaker is backwards!!!

The left of that breaker should be going to the motor and the right side is the BAT side. Get a new breaker and position it correctly.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Don't know if this helps, but here is my 2004 3650rk.

Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think I was looking at the wrong breaker. We're dealing with the left hand breaker huh? One with the cover over it? Looks wired correctly to me. I sure don't understand why a breaker would have to be installed in the line in a certain configuration.(battery and aux terminals) All it does is break the circuit when the bi-metal contact gets to a certain temperature.

I finally got a chance to look at ours. It is just like the one Alan posted.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Art n Marge
You might have solved it if I switch the breaker to have the "Batt" side on the right, and "Aux" on left I'll give it a shot. Do you have that small black cable hooked on your circuit breaker like my picture shows. People have asked in the link what that for???

One other question- I was told the circuit breaker on the right is for the slides and the one on the left is for the legs. Is it just the opposite
Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Except for wire colors, mine looks like Alan's.

I did replace the slide breaker (on the left) with another 50 amp. Only difference is the mounting tabs are on the side rather than on the end as the old one.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Just so I'm clear with all your guys helping which I trulay appreicate, I'm only talking about the circuit breaker on the right without the cover on it
Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I just went out and looked and the relay/breaker/?, to my slide motor, is the one on the left in my picture.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
the jumper wire that goes from one breaker to the other can be taken out and run to the posi of the battery. the one breaker is for the landing gear the other breaker is for the sides.the black wire is going to the landing switch for the landing gear.follow the wires to see where the go.i changed my fuses to auto breakers that can be reset like a house breaker .murrays has 50 amp breakers .i followed the wires from the landing switch put the posi to psoi and neg to neg.the slide i put a 50 amp there also to the battery and did away with the jumper between the two breakers.have no problems anymore.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

the jumper wire that goes from one breaker to the other can be taken out and run to the posi of the battery. the one breaker is for the landing gear the other breaker is for the sides.the black wire is going to the landing switch for the landing gear.follow the wires to see where the go.i changed my fuses to auto breakers that can be reset like a house breaker .murrays has 50 amp breakers .i followed the wires from the landing switch put the posi to psoi and neg to neg.the slide i put a 50 amp there also to the battery and did away with the jumper between the two breakers.have no problems anymore.
Kind of hard to decipher all of that; but, are you saying the jumper is the problem? If so, I find that hard to believe. Changed all the fuses to breakers? Only one fuse in our front compartment(landing gear), the others are auto reset breakers.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Wow do I wish I new electricity like you guys. What I think I have learned is that the breaker on the left is for the slide and the right is for the legs. Where i went wrong is replacing the right breaker (which I thought was the slide) to repair my slide issues and I put in a 40 instaed of a 50. I also believe that my local RV shop guided me wrong on the Breaker install- but in the end because of all your help, I'll solve my issue tomorrow I hope. Thanks to all that sent photo's. I pic means a Thous words. - Oh yeah- Tim Lincecum is from Renton, Wa where I live-Go Giants
Old 11-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Hope we helped. Since yours looks mostly like mine, just give me a holler if you need any info I can look at to help you.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I think you are on the right track. The right CB is for the landing gear and the left one is for the slideout motor.

If a circuit breaker didn't matter which way it was supposed to be hooked up then they wouldn't label it BAT and AUX. You can do this with fuses but not with breakers.

You never did say what was wrong with your slides. If you are having a start/stop issue like so many of us have had, then the autoresetting breaker is not strong enough (according to Lippert, the manufacturer) and you need to get an 80 or 100amp, or do what some of us (like me) have done and build a dual parallel cb contraption that does the same thing. For example, I used two 40amps in parallel to equal 80 amps. Don't worry about the electronics, just trust that two breakers in parallel is additive for the amperage rating.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #20
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238

Here's a picture of my '06 3500RL. NOTE that the two leftmost circuit breakers are dual 40 amp resetting breakers to provide 80 amps of current protection for the slideout.

40amp was not enough nor was the 50 amp changed out by the dealer for the slide motot. The dual 40 amps (or you can use 50 amp for 100 amp total) are working just fine.

Hopefully I'm not going to step on any toes here, but I felt I had to clear up a misconception that I'm seeing.
Two 40 amp breakers do not give you 80 amps of protection, nor do two 50's give 100, etc. If you have 40 amp breakers, you still have 40 amps of protection, etc. What happens, is when you have two breakers, and you install them on one feed in parallel with each other, you are having them "share" the load. So, if you have two 40 amp breakers, but find that the draw is actually 50 amps, by putting two 40's in parallel, with that 50 amp draw each breaker is actually only having a 25 amp draw across it.
Hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm sorry if I did.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote