Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Power invertor

Hello all,
It's been a long time since Kathy and I have got on the site. The biggest reason is work, work and more work and not near enought play!
Anyway, today is a good day because we are [finally] all hitched up to Mr.Big Red Duramax and ready for a few days in the wild around Lake Lewiston in Northern, CA [we live in Folsom, CA].
So as usual I have a Monty question. I have the electrical service plugged into the house AC at this time and do not have any appliances on in the RV at this time. However I detected a humming noise and traced it to the power invertor fan in the basement near the demand pump. My question is; I do not recall hearing this running noise in the past. Is this a normal thing or is it just working because my dc batteries may be a bit low from storage?
Thanks for your help.
Jim and Kathy and Sami the lab

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Jim,

If the Monty has been sitting for a while without AC power, your batteries are probably less than fully charged and as a result the converter is charging them and they must be drawing enough juice for the cooling fan to kick in. During normal operation you should here the fan if you turn on enough of the 12V lites. I know I here mine for a minute or so after putting the slided in or out.
Have a safe and happy trip.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Thanks Michele,
Now that makes sense because I am certain the batteries were a bit low.
Now all I need is some open road a a tankful of deezel!!
take care,
Jim
Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote