Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Stabalizers

Hi All I just received my JT strong arm Stabalizers. Lots of parts, wish me luck. I will try to install this Monday and Tuesday. How many of you have done your own installations? How long did it take? I also have the blue Ox bed saver coming. We are moving on March 15, for six weeks of R&R. Then we start work the end of April back at the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Thanks for the advice.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I did both of them JT and Blue OX.
I found a step bit really worked well. I also tapped the holes with a real tap instead of trying to use the bolts. I did drill one hole too large with the step bit and had to drill it again so one mount was 1" off.

It took me about half a day by my self. Plan on a day for the JT's gives you time to rest and regroup.
Read the directions early then measure twice and drill once.

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
It took me about four hours for the JTs. The Blue OX BS a lot less.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Definitely get a real tap. Those self tapping bolts they give you just don't work very well.
I think it took me a little more than a half day.
I could not find a rear frame cross member to bolt to without removing some of the belly cover. So I made a rear cross member from retangular steel tubing (from a description and pictures posted here by someone whom I have forgotten who it was). Some one will probably remember and post that again. Cutting, drilling, and painting that cross member took another half day. Someone mentioned having a steel fabricator make it for them. I had a piece of tubing laying around so I made it myself.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I did my own JT's,not to big of a job.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
thanks for the info. I plan on getting my tools together first. I won't have time until this next Monday the 22nd. I have most of the tools, no grease and I don't have a 1/2 inch drill bit or step bit. I'm sure it will not be as hard as building the street rods that I have in the past. Have a great weekend. Do the 1/2 inch hole need to be tapped, I have a set but I don't think it has a 1/2 inch tap in it.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #7
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
It wouldn't have taken Phil nearly as long to install the JT's if he hadn't had to take time out to go to the Er to get the 5 stitches. Be careful under there and keep your cap on! The JT's are great.
Janie
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
randye, you don't have to tap the 1/2" holes. It took me about 4 hours both times I installed them myself.
The second set had a day interuption for a run to the er for gluing my head back after a sudden impact with the king pin.
My advice, be careful getting up from the ground around the king pin, I gurantee it won't get hurt!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:16 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Randy - Mine came with self tapping bolts. I assume they still do. But those bolts were less than ideal. I only managed to get one or two holes tapped using those bolts before I gave up. Ruined the self tapping part on a couple of the bolts. Maybe just me. So I went to Lowes and bought a 1/2" tap, drill bit, and T handle set pretty cheap. Made it much easier and faster.
You could also drill clearance holes and put locknuts on the back side if you can reach into the area where they end up.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Thanks great advice, I will make sure and watch as I get up, I have hit my head to many times uder the slides and places under the storage area.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine were first installed by Camping World, Albuquerque. Then the same folks were given an opportunity to correct their mistakes. Since it was something like 75 miles one way to take it back to them, the third try I just fixed it myself. In this case, when they installed the rear bars they couldn't get the self tappers to work. So they drilled holes and then inserted bolts (with nuts, no lock washers) that were smaller diameter than the holes they'd drilled. They used regular washers to keep the bolts from pulling through the holes. Well, even this nitwit knows those bolts will slide around in those considerably larger holes and that pretty much offsets the stability the bars are supposed to provide. I also couldn't get the self tappers to do the job and had to go buy the correct tap and do it myself. I shudder to think we paid them for such a shoddy job.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
barbwaines
Established Member

M.O.C. #6201

We plan to install ours tomorrow. Glad for info on install. Will read directions carefully and maybe wear a hockey helmet!!!
barbwaines is offline   Reply With Quote