Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Black Tank Flush Failure (UPDATE)

Finished dumping the black tank this morning and then hooked the hose up to flush out the black tank. Turned the water on and noticed that very little water was flowing back out of the tank through the sewer hose. Let it go for a while and then saw clean water running out of the belly and from the artic pack. Turned it all off and went around to the front door and water was coming from that area as well. Went inside and there was water on the floor and some soaking the carpeting as well. About a 4-5 square foot area. We soaked that up with towels. My best guess is the flush connection to the black tank broke. When we got home this afternoon we used the wet vac on the carpet and I have a fan going on the area to make sure it all dries out. Will set up an appointment with the local Montana dealer in the morning to get it fixed. In the event that it takes a while to get it into the dealer, is the flush connection on the top of the tank? Reason I ask is in case we go camping before it is fixed, will it be okay to use the black tank?
5 November
Took the rig to the dealer today and it is the back flow preventer valve. They are ordering one plus a spare for me. Should have the rig back next week.

tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
You may want to check for a plugged - up pipe at toilet, goto a hardware store and get a "SNAKE" AND snake it out, I've had to do it a couple of times...look down bowl and see if the you can see a ways down, my plugs seem to be at 1st bend.You can tell the way the water runs down into bowl pipe when plugged and unplugged,
At least you can rule this out maybe a cheeper option.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Tim I am not familiar with you rig but in the back of my pantry (3400RL) behind the shower there is an access door. Behind that is the black tank back flow valve. Find this access area and check that. I had a similar problem and replaced the back flow valve for $10 bucks. I also have found that you cannot flush the black tank with the hose on full force without a regulator.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Jay Bird, Thanks for the info on the regulator, after I have Hawley's fix it, I'll use one. Since the rig is still under warranty, I'll let them have the honor of fixing it. I have a full bath that backs up into the entertainment center so there is no access door.

CMP-Shooter, The toilet dumped with no problem, The floods started after that.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I had the same problem with my '06 2955. It was the anti-siphon valve on black tank flush valve. On that model it was in the wall between the pantry and shower.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
A common problem. replace the check valve.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
See update on first post.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Tim,
Good to have a spare. I did the same thing just in case I am not near a dealer that has the part in stock. Don't forget the regulator on your next flush.
George
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
George, Looking back on the incident, I did have the regulator on the faucet. I always use a "Y" connection on the regulator so I can shut off the city water hose and then put the cleaning hose on the other portion of the "Y". Hawley's was very quick in getting up with me as soon as they determined the problem. Tim
Old 11-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I had the same problem.
It broke because they did not attach the valve to the wall. So when going down the road it must have banged onto the wall and broke.
There was no access hole next to the valve so I had to make one.
I replaced the valve and clamped it to the wall. No problem since.
So make sure they secure it so it does not move.

Drew

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Drew, Thanks for the advice. i plan to be there when they fix it. Tim