Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Not just another thread about tires!

Buried on page four of the Wall Street Journal today is an article stating the U.S. won a decision from the World Trade Organization on tires made in China. In summation, the U.S. now has the ability to add up to 30% in tariffs on tires imported from China. As a side note, Goodyear was one of the largest companies opposing this decision.

So, what will the ramifications be? Well, it could just mean that tires made in China will cost more. What should happen is the ruling would cause tire manufacturers to bring back tire manufacturing to the US. Too bad it won't. More likely is we will start seeing tires made in Vietnam, Thailand, or other third world Asian countries.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Great! We'll get to pay more for substandard products.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Tai Bombs?Nam Bombs? I think China Bombs sounds better. Just Kidding.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
When you buy tires, personally inspect the tires for the country of manufacture- The name is cured in the sidewall near the date code- All the tires I own are stamped "Made in U.S.A."- I have seen other nations such as Canada, Japan and China represented- Just be vigilant and this problem will solve itself- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandJudy_12

When you buy tires, personally inspect the tires for the country of manufacture- The name is cured in the sidewall near the date code- All the tires I own are stamped "Made in U.S.A."- I have seen other nations such as Canada, Japan and China represented- Just be vigilant and this problem will solve itself- JHMO- Don
That's true for now, but for how long? For instance, when was the last time you saw a radio or tv that was build in the US?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By Tom S.

Buried on page four of the Wall Street Journal today is an article stating the U.S. won a decision from the World Trade Organization on tires made in China. In summation, the U.S. now has the ability to add up to 30% in tariffs on tires imported from China. As a side note, Goodyear was one of the largest companies opposing this decision.
This is actually the second stage of a three year plan implemented by our country's new administration and instigated by the United Steel Workers Union. The first stage was a 35% tariff implemented last year, the second stage is 30% for this year, and the third stage is an additional 25% for next year.

This plan has already caused many problems for tire dealers and consumers alike. Before the tariff was implemented there were many companies producing entry level and mid range tires in China. Many of these companies imediately stopped production and pulled their molds to go to other countries, unfortunately not the United States. When production of these tires stopped it didn't take long for supplies to run low in the US. This shortage of low end and mid range tires forced consumers to buy more of the high end tires which has now created a shortage on the high side.

Another thing to add to the mess is the fact that natural rubber prices have shot up over the last year and there is a shortage of around 300,000 tons of it.

What all of this means to you and I is, higher prices and poor availability for quite a long while.

On Edit - I would like to clarify the time frame a bit. What I posted above is a little confusing.

Phase I - 2010
Phase II - 2011
Phase III - 2012
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good post Lonnie
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
Remember the old "supply and demand" rule; that as demand increases the supply increases? Well there is a huge demand for tires built of quality at home or at least in a country that has a long history of reliability and safety, but this demand has been blatantly ignored by most tire manufacturers. Look for, and buy only tires that weren't built in these countries where quality and safety are the last considerations. Goodyear is off my radar permanently for car, truck, and RV tires.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I believe they also said that the chinese will begin to tighten up their quality control issues due to all of the bad tires that are produced there. we will see.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerjoe

I believe they also said that the chinese will begin to tighten up their quality control issues due to all of the bad tires that are produced there. we will see.
That is what I read....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For me this brings up something that I am close, to machine shops. I've owned a shop for over 30 years. Most people don't know this but every product you touch had its start in a machine shop. From a sheet of paper to the space shuttle. It takes a shop to make the saw to cut the tree to the truck to haul the log to the mill. Every part of your camper started in a machine shop, the drapes took a shop to make the mill to make the fabric.
Fanuc makes a machine called a Robo Drill. Its a small milling center to produce small parts very accurate and extremely fast. The next 2 years of production are going to China. No shop in this country can compete. How long can this country survive if all we manufacture is hamburgers????
None if this affects my buisness but it will have an affect on all of us.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"I believe they also said that the chinese will begin to tighten up their quality control issues due to all of the bad tires that are produced there. we will see."

The Chinese have plenty of buyers in other countries for their low end and mid range tires. But according to all the post on Chinese bombs and how we should not buy them we will not mind paying more for better tires..Maybe even made in the USA..My generals are made in the Chech Republic..have not head about any Chech Bombs...
I am having a hard time finding a list of tires made in USA so we can all buy only those tires..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
I really don't care what the Chinese do with or to their tires, they will never again be on an RV I own.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote