Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Debating going to Flatscreen/HD in Monty??

I'm with Direct TV with a portable dish and I'm debating putting a flatscreen in my '06 Monty. Three items of concern

1- I've heard that attaining a HD signal from the dish is harder than a normal signal-True or false? I don't use signal finders, just move it till I get a signal and have yet to be denied. 20 for 20 but i will say I keep to the same State Parks in Wash State

2-Would I have to buy a new portable dish? I just bought the new Winegard that folds up into a carry case-Love it!! $165

3-Is putting a new flatscreen in the existing hole difficult?

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
For HD from DirecTV you will need the SlimLine Dish. It can be put on a tripod, but generally requires a heavy duty tripod because of the weight. Getting the signal might be a little harder, but probably do able. Putting a flat screen into an existing hole. Measure and find a mounting bracket that will work for your application. I cheated, I had the Winegard Travler SlimLine Dish installed on top of the Monty. Get set-up and just push the button and in a couple of minutes you're watching you favorite channels in HD.
Good Luck
Old 11-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I have been using a HD dish 1000 for sometime now. My advice to you is to get a signal strength meter,it hooks in the cable at the dish and makes it very simple to tune in the proper satellite. You can get them off ebay for 10 bucks shipping included
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Jaybird,
We put two flat screen HD televisions our rig; one is in the living room and a smaller one in the bedroom.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I kind of want to give you something else to think about.... Will your new flat screen be setting in cold weather down to the freezing mark?????? Flat screens crystals will freeze.. just for information. I am not a full timer, so I bring mine in the stick house during the winter... Just a tidbit of info for you....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you are using a round dish, you will not get HD Directv. As mentioned, the best alternative is a Travler Automatic for the rig roof. We carry a round dish as well as a 3 lnb oval dish. The 3 lnb oval dish will get HD signals but is a little harder to set up, the 5 lnb dish is preferred. Where on the round dish, I would typically set the elevation and turn the dish until the signal stength was strongest, on the oval dish you first must set the elevation and skew, then turn the dish until the signal is strongest. I use a television in the basement with a Directv receiver hooked up to do all of this. I set the tripod within sight and sound of hte television and use the Directv setup menu to tune the signal in. A horizontal tripod mount is vital!! I have used the cheapo Camping World tripod for both dishes with no problems, but I do bungee the tripod down to make it more secure. I do not believe there is a portable dish that will support Directv HD, but don't hold me to that!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #7
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We do not have DirecTV in the Monty yet, but are investigating. I was at Sams Club in Brandon, FL last week and they offered to install the dish on the roof of our Monty and the installation was free to us for being Sams Club members. The first 3 months was going to be $19.95 and then $29.95 for the rest of the year. After that it would be about $60. We think this is a good deal and will be getting it next Spring before our travels.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deadeye

I kind of want to give you something else to think about.... Will your new flat screen be setting in cold weather down to the freezing mark?????? Flat screens crystals will freeze.. just for information. I am not a full timer, so I bring mine in the stick house during the winter... Just a tidbit of info for you....JB
Do a Google search and you will find this answer is pretty much standard:
As the name "liquid crystal display" (LCD) implies, the display technology uses a substance that shares the same properties as liquids. It therefore can freeze if left in cold enough temperatures. In most cases however, it will also defrost without damage once returned to room temperature. Check the specifications for your LCD device and you'll find two temperature ranges given -- one for storage and one for use. LCDs will only work properly in a certain temperature range, and can usually be stored in a larger range with colder and warmer temperatures. Most LCDs can be stored down to -40F or up to 115F before damage occurs, but will only operate properly in a more comfortable 50F to 90F range. This varies by screen, so you'll want to check the specifications in your TV's manual. If your LCD is left out in the cold, make sure to allow it to rise to room temperature before attempting to power it on, and it should be just fine."
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #9
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Thanks Captain Joe. We have been wondering about the LCDs and freezing temps. We will go check that good ole manual very soon.

Best - Lynne and Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote