Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Water coming in on desk slide

Well as I have had this problem now for some time and took the unit to North Trail RV in Ft Myers ,FL and then the Darrel at keystone re adjusted the slide now we have water in the unit at the TV end of the slide.. So the slide was pushing too much on the wall of the unit according to Darrel but now we have water . So how long before the floor is rotten or moldy , Where do I go from here . I have to get it back to Darrel at Keystone I guess;;;sailer

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
John,

Which slide is leaking?
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We have found it was coming in from the water heater area which is 6 to 8 " from the slide but it flooded us ;;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, I assume the seals are turned properly? Ours sometimes do not fully turn when extending the slide. In that case we get lots of water inside during a rain. Now I check them every time we setup. Might not be the problem with yours but thought I'd mention it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We recently had water entering the front (door) end of the main slide and wetting the carpet. Of course, I started invesigating from the slide roof down. It turned out that the "hard" bottom of the slide didn't fit up under the sides quite enough, so water coming down the outside wall would get to the bottom, then "wick" up in and over the "hard" bottom to soak the carpet. The easy fix was a bead of silicon along the joint between the bottom and side. Remember to clean the area with 91% alcohol to remove old sealants (if they are present).
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't understand Steve's information.

The seal that you see when you are standing on the outside of the Monty is the "wiper seal." It's only purpos is to squeegee the water off the side of the slide when retracting. Yes, it may assist in water stoppage, but the real seal is around the frame of the slide.

With the slide retracted you can feel the rubber seal on the inside. When extended, that seal butts up against the framing and completes the seal.

If your slide is out of adjustment you may have an opening where this seal is supposed to butt up against the frame.

At night, when it is really dark, take a strong flashlight and shine it from the inside, while someone is outside looking, and see if you see any of the light coming through. This may be hindered by the wiper seal, but it's a start. Also try it shinning the light from the outside in. If you see any light leakage, you may have a problem in that area.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wayne, all I can tell you is it makes a big difference when that seal is not properly turned. In warmer weather the seal rarely doesn't turn all the way but in cooler weather it often does not.

I'm not sure exactly where the water enters the inside of the rig but it saturates the carpet under the kitchen stove and the adjoining cabinet and then runs out onto the kitchen floor. Invariably, when that happens, I go outside and find that seal is turned under. We've had water ingress from that slide only when that seal is turned. I have no explanation for exactly what path it takes, though.

So far that's the only slide we've had the problem with. The other seals all seem to turn properly with rare exception.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote