Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
pvcoach
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5424
Another set of Missions bites the dust

OK, I've been reading about these tires for a while now and wondering, what should I do? Had a blowout two years after purchasing the Monty and started watching the other three tires very carefully. Getting ready for a long trip coming up, I purchased the TST TPMS and started replacing my rubber valve stems with metal ones. When I pulled the first tire, I noticed that there was some belt separation. When I pulled the second tire, I observed some belt and tread separation. The third tire still looked OK but I have replaced that one too. To all of you that have posted your experiences here about these tires, I send you a big THANK YOU! Were it not for this forum, I would have set out for the mid-west on a set of dangerous tires and most likely experienced some blowouts, not to mention the consequences!

2022 Montana 3781, 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
pvcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I would think that everybody with all the problems with Mission Tires would go to another brand, I stoped buying that brand 8 years ago when I had a Terry 5er and it blew.
I buy LT tires from the USA and so far I have had good luck with there service. its too bad that goodyear sell junk now.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don, everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that Goodyear makes the best trailer tire on the market in the G614RST. To each his own....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Don, everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that Goodyear makes the best trailer tire on the market in the G614RST. To each his own....
You have to remember Phil,Goodyear still makes the Marathon!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jack, You're right, BUT one should not make blanket statements as above. I have no experience with the Marathons so I will not speak of them.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Since we currently have Goodyear Marathon tires on our rig, and given all the negative press I have read regarding these tires, I review all of the "tire" threads with great interest. Some of the comments I have seen indicate the writer travels at "65-70 MPH." Am I missing something here? I thought "65 MPH" was the max for the Marathons???? NOT CASTING ANY STONES...I am not a tire expert; I am just trying to stay safe while towing.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Marathons are Chinese made,enough said.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I had the 3400RL, based on all the problems I had read, and the positive remarks, which were outweighed by the negative, I changed the Mission with only miles on the trailer. I put on Michelin XPS Ribbed.

It gave me peace of mind.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Jack, You're right, BUT one should not make blanket statements as above. I have no experience with the Marathons so I will not speak of them.
I dont think my statement was a Blanket statement about Marathon tires but factual, when I had problems with my Marathon tires that were only 2 yrs old a Goodyear dealer put there nose in the air and said for me to take it to a All Tire Store. it turned out to be a tire that was stamped with a R and the newer upgraded Marathone tires was stamped with a S. were supose to be improved, Ha.
I feel Good year gave me bad service and bad warintee coverage. that is why I'll slam them. I dont feel any person that buys a product from any manufacture should have to try and prove anything to them of a failure, especally when I had the tire off the trailer and in the back of the truck. all he had to do was send it into HQ or call for approval of replacement.
My Monty came with LT truck tires and have served me well for 5 years, I went out and bought some more LT tires made in USA fot the Monty. 1.5 years ago, no cracks, blisters, ripples, or slow loss of air.
I could give many examples of Marathon failure of my friends and family members that had them, but wont.

I have said enugh.

By BY
Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
pvcoach
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5424
Good discussion gentlemen but a bit off-track. My post was with gratitude for the information posted by others. I certainly didn't want to start bantering one make of tires against the others. I now have SOB on our Monty and feel all the better about it. Thanks again to all of you that posted about your experiences with the Missions, you certainly helped me with my decision to keep on eye on them and then switch to another manufacturer's tires when I did.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL Ted. As you can see, tires will always be a touchy subject in this forum. Opinions have turned into fact and generalizations made from some evidence. It's the nature of a forum.

The predominant fact is that there are very few good stories about Missions and other predominantly Chinese branded or manufactured tires. Negative stories will be posted because there are bad. Since there is no way to measure 100% of everyone's experience 100% of the time, then use the information with caution and wisdom. This is another nice attribute of a forum.

Goodyear is both a winner with the LT G614s Trailer tire and a loser to some with the Goodyear Marathon.

However, while the G614 has an LT designation do not use this LT on a truck because they are highly rated and constructed for heavy trailers. And the Goodyear Marathon is of questionable success especially if they were made in China. Some have had terrible luck with them and others are okay with them (me included), but I keep my rig well below GTWR and GAWR and I baby them beyond belief and hope for the best by keeping under 65mph, meticulous inflation checking, and crossing my fingers I don't run over or off something. And I don't think we've heard from every rig who owns whatever tire they have.

Just know what you have, find a way to increase your confidence, evaluate the information provided and in making another generalization I'll say tires are the most sensitive topic of a Monty, even more than brakes or suspension, but they have had had their problems there, too.

Nothing wrong with discussion and there are no dumb questions. So stay safe and aware everyone.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
pvcoach
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5424
Art - Well said, and I agree with your assessment. I have read a lot on this forum and the opinions vary greatly. Opinions or not, the information provided here helps a lot of folks. I don't post that much these days but may do more frequently as we get the Monty out on the road some more. Right now we are mainly weekenders and one extended trip a year. I hope to change that in the not-to-distant future and will probably post more then.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm one of those who will never, ever, ever, ever have another Goodyear Marathon tire on any trailer of ours. Never, ever. Way too many blowouts on three different fifthwheels over about 10 years. And I also baby our tires and watch psi carefully. To those who are having good luck with them, I hope that good luck continues. Damage repair from blowouts is not fun, nor cheap. Hopefully Goodyear has improved the newer Marathons.

However, I am a big fan of the Goodyear G614RST tire, which is what we currently have on our Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote