Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
jimmarf

M.O.C. #10077
LP Generator in 5th wheel or Diesel Gen in truck

Does anyone have any experience on which way is the best way to go. I can see benefits for both ways.

jimmarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jim, It all depends on your type of camping or RVing. We very rarely boondock so we just have a Honda 2000 for emergencies. We did use it at quartzsite one year for about 10 days. Boondocking is not our style of camping so we don't have an onboard gen, although our trailer is wired for one. IF, I did a lot of boondocking, I would have an onboard unit. Others will be along with their opinion. Hope this helps somewhat.....Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We do a lot of boondocking and have a factory installed Onan 5.5KW Gas Gen installed in the front compartment. We also have solar panels on the roof, extra 6VDC golf cart batteries, and a 3KW inverter to run the coffee pot early in the mornings, computers during the day, or what ever else we want.

We chose gas/installed simply because of the weight of the unit. Diesel is about 250 pounds heavier. So, diesel truck, gas gen, and propane furnace. This combo seems wierd but it works well for us.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Like Phil said how do you intend to use it? For us the closest we get to boondocking is the occasional overnight stop in a WalMart or Rest Area. We have a 2800wt Inverter and 2 6V Golf Cart Batteries. This provides us with more than enough power for our limited boondocking uses.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
If you plan to use the generator a lot, diesel generator on the truck seems the way to go. They are expensive to buy but run for ever. That is providing your truck is diesel and you have room on the truck and have weight capacity.
If you plan to use the generator once in a while, the onan propane on the Montana is great to have. It is easy to use, quiet, and clean. On the other hand, it consumes a lot of propane and it is expensive to buy.
Many people like having one or two Honda 2000's. I'm sure they will chime in.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:59 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
James, I don't know if there is a right or wrong way. I have a 8 KW on the Montana and use it to power the house when the power goes off. However there are times that I wish it was on the truck and I could use it other places.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Something no one has mentioned is noise and quiet hours -- first the noise -- you want to be a good neighbor and most diesel or gas generators I've seen are too noisy for most campgrounds (not speaking of race tracks -- I've only been to one and I swear I never heard anything over the engine roar anyway so.... .

That all said, I have two honda EU2000i generators that I can run in parallel or single depending on time of year and need. Very quiet and portable. We have a tail-gate neighbor who has an Onan 5.5KW I believe -- may be the next one larger -- regardless, his unit drinks propane like it is water on cooler / cold Kansas nights but it is quiet as my 2 running together. However, he mentioned that he has been to campgrounds where he has to shut the thing off at 10 PM because of quiet hours, even as quiet as it is. We've never run into that but other than tailgating we are pretty much full hookup types of people when traveling. Haven't gotten to use the trailer much outside of football games and trips home for medical / extended family emergencies so my experience is limited in that manner.

Hope this helps though.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
We have a unit at work that was converted to run on propane or natural gas but but can be switched back gasoline if needed. I will try to get at it tomorrow to check the make. It was converted over to reduce CO emissions and noise. I believe it is a 5000 watt model.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote