Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
milkman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8771
Cable TV hookup

Our 08 3400RL does not allow cable tv into the system. Dealer is working on it and has decided that in order for me to watch cable tv I need to manually change connections in the area behind the DVD player to directly connect the cable to the tv and then change it back when I want to go back to the antenna. Does this sound right or are they just not figuring out the problem and whitewashing it back to me. I have made sure that the booster is turned off so that is not the issue here. It seems that for the money we pay, the ability to switch from antenna to cable should be easier than going back there and switching cables. Any thoughts out there?

milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
OK.We have an 08 BigSky and had a similar problem,,,there is a switch in the bedroom closet (at lease in the Big Sky there is) that you switch one way for cable and one way for antenna not sure which way to switch....ok, I'm not technical..just a girl(DH says my saying I'm a girl is a stretch....) trying to help!

mrs. bahlinout!
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Here is the wiring as I know it for our 07

Their comment does not sound correct but their fix. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I had the same problem. to make a long story short. My issue was in the bedroom closet. I had a bad cable end on one cable. Do yourself a favor and cut off every connector you can get to and replace it.. This problem drove me up a wall until i was able to troubleshoot the whole system. Ok i can't help it here is what I did. First hookup a dvd or vcr up to the tv and try it (play a movie). If it works good. Now trace back or away from your tv to the next connection hook it up and try your tv again. If it works your good to that point. Do this with every connection and always try your tv . if you get to one and the tv doesn't work replace connection and try again. Do this all the way to the outside connection. If i remember correctly the cable from the outside connection goes to the bed room first and split from there. The cable that was bad for me was the white cable from the bedroom to the tv in the living room.

hope this helps, kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
This brings a question to my mind now. In my 09 Big Sky, are some of you saying I need to go to the closet and turn off the signal booster in order to get a signal on cable? I have had some issues trying to get cable to work.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
yes the booster needs to be turned off when hooked to cable/sattelite.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

I had the same problem. to make a long story short. My issue was in the bedroom closet. I had a bad cable end on one cable. Do yourself a favor and cut off every connector you can get to and replace it.. This problem drove me up a wall until i was able to troubleshoot the whole system. Ok i can't help it here is what I did. First hookup a dvd or vcr up to the tv and try it (play a movie). If it works good. Now trace back or away from your tv to the next connection hook it up and try your tv again. If it works your good to that point. Do this with every connection and always try your tv . if you get to one and the tv doesn't work replace connection and try again. Do this all the way to the outside connection. If i remember correctly the cable from the outside connection goes to the bed room first and split from there. The cable that was bad for me was the white cable from the bedroom to the tv in the living room.

hope this helps, kevin
Kevin is correct, but that cable is routed through the entertainment center and looped to the bedroom where it is combined with the TV Batwing (remember the green light on for BatWing Off for Cable) and sent back to the entertainment center.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Your closet door may also be pushing that darn switch on the booster. I found that in my trailer the P.B. is right in line with the right side sliding door. A stick on rubber door stop stopped that nonesense.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:03 AM   #9
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
So, Milkman ... did you get your problem solved? Was it a complicated wiring issue or something simple? Inquiring minds want to know
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
milkman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8771
They continue to stand by the story that I need to disconnect and reconnect behind the telvision. I have not had a chance to figure out any improvement at this time. By the time I am through with it this winter, I will have some switches in place to accomplish the deed and also hopefully end up with a system that will allow me to watch the same DVD in the bedroom and the livingroom at the same time. Not a big issue as we have only had cable one time all summer, but it would be nice to know that everything works as it should. Thank you for the imput!
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
?Have you tried installing a splitter at the TV? The single side towards the TV and the double side being fed by the cable and the antenna.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I have an older model and it has two separate cables, one for the cable and one for the antenna. Our connection is in the bedroom. My solution was to go to Radio Shack and purchase a two way switch (AB Switch) which makes it much easier. Once it’s hooked up all you have to do is push on the button for cable or the other button for an antenna connection. You may have to place you own labels on them yourself. I keep getting mixed up on which side the cable or antenna is hooked up on. This has worked for us.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #13
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I stopped in St George UT and a campground had cable tv. I didn't want to set up the dish system so I hooked up to cable. Well I spent some time figuring out how to get cable into my 05 3400. Eventually I ended up haveing to change wires behind the dvd player a real pain. Getting ready to leave again for the winter and now have to figure out again how to hook up the dish system.
Trying to find out if the new 2 room Dish 322 reciever will work in the Monty with out re-wiring.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
From H. John Kohl's drawing, which looks right, we see that there are two cables that run between the TV cabinet and the booster in the bedroom. One brings the cable or other source, as selected by the jumper, to the booster. The other is needed to feed the batwing antenna or the cable, as selected by the boost switch, to the TV and stereo in the TV cabinet. I'm thinking of disconnecting the first wire from the booster and using it to feed video from my sat receiver directly to the bedroom TV. I can get a cable modulator to convert the component or S-video output of the sat receiver to cable antenna and send it along to the TV tuner in the bedroom. The sat receiver uses an RF remote, so we can change channels from anywhere in the Monty, and has a supplementary cable input, so we can still use CG cable if necessary (although we have never done so).
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Ah yes, as they say, a day late and a dollar short, for us! Three weeks ago, first time use of a campground cable system, we went through the same routine of finding out about that "little" switch in the closet of our '07 3400, and how all the cables were routed. The owners manual mentioned it, but was rather ambiguous about it.

However, after messing around with the TV in the entertainment center, I still couldn't get things to work right. What it turned out to be is the TV itself. Our 3400 a "show" model, so the TV was upgraded to a newer digital flat screen LCD, Viewsonic is the brand. What I discovered, after the digital transition, is that Viewsonic has TWO inputs on the back, Yes, TWO coax inputs. One is used for "TV" (analog) input, and the other input is for the digital antenna (rooftop) input. When I was on the cable, I had to switch the input to the "TV analog" input, and then on the menu screen select "cable" for the source. Worked GREAT. Now, if I want to use the rooftop antenna, I have to change the input back to the "digital" input on the back of the TV, then go to the menu screen and change the setting to "DTV" and it works fine after that.

First TV I have EVER delt with that had TWO separate inputs like that. I'm considering changing out the TV for one with a single input, which the DTV (Sylvania) in the bedroom has! Again, we have the VIEWSONIC brand TV that has the separate inputs.

Perhaps this will help someone else. Took me two days to figure out all the stuff I had to do to watch the "news".......!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote