Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Tires 101

I am looking at replacing the Chinese bombs on my 3400 and found a really good "lesson" at Carlisle tire company. I'm considering going with the Carlisles. They seem to have a good reputation, and the local dealer, Les Schwabe, carries them. Schwabe also has a good reputation. I also noticed that Carlisle has a 235/85/16 size radial that is rated (single) to 3960 pounds load (load range "F"), at 95 PSI pressure. Heavy duty wheel required. I will be checking to see if ours meets that requirement.

Here's the link....

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_..._tires_101.pdf

2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Les Schwabe treated me very well on service unrelated to the RV, so I have no reason to think they would do otherwise on the Monty. If your 3400 is 2008 or newer, I am fairly certain the rims are rated to 110 psi. You should be able to find a tag or a sticker on the inside of your rim to indicate the rating.

I have no experience with Carlisle tires, so have no opinion. I went with Goodyear G614 (made in the USA) 235 85 R16 and run them at 105 psi. Additionally, I have the Pressure Pro tire monitoring system. We find it helpful and reassuring. Thanks for the URL.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I believe one of the MOC admins, long time members and retired Tire Professional "Glenn and Lorraine" has Carlisle tires on his rig. I don't know the size/rating he used but he can probably provide some input. I had Carlisle on a different rig that I bought used a bunch of years ago and had problems with them but I think it was because they were old (over five years). The latest word in several places (besides the MOC) is that Carlisle has improved their quality over the past recent years and I think they would now be a viable option.

That F-rated size does sound like a great option.

Hopefully Glenn will be along to comment soon. He has been undergoing some medical procedures and is not posting as often as he used to, but try a PM or Email. You can also try doing a search for "Carlisle" and maybe you'll fine some other posts.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
I hate to be "the fly in the soup" but we have tried these Carlisles on our tandem dually trailers and they are "made in china" and have the same characteristics as the Good Year Marathons, and the Missions: tread face separations, sidewall bulges, you name it, they simply disintegrate. I would make sure that these tires are now made in the U.S. with higher standards; but if they are of the previous quality, reliabilty is low.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Schwabe may have a good reputation but Carlisle does not! There are as many reports of them going bad as Missions - maybe more. Plus they only have a 2 year warranty.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote