Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Flat Tire

Previously I had a 32' Wilderness. Son recently bought me a 3 ton jack for it and I used when packing the wheel bearings and I can tell you, I did have to put out a bit to get it off the ground. Now since graduating to the Montana 3400 it is a bit heaver. In case of flat tire when on the road, what are some of the members using for camper if have to change out a flat ??

Montana_5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Road service whenever possible. Al tells me he has a 8 ton bottle jack in the truck, and that if he needs to he can change a tire on Tana. So far, our flats on Tana have been IN a campground and AT home. Both times called Good Sam, and let them do the grunt work.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine is either a 6-ton or 8-ton bottle jack (forgot and would have to check). We call Good Sam's ERS if we have the time. If we're in more hurry and we're situated where I can change the tire, then I do so. Last one was on I-35 on a sloping shoulder and the Montana about three feet (or less) off the roadway. The flat was on the low/far side. With Montana leaning to the flat side and semi's not moving over for us, rocking the Montana, there is no way it would have stayed on a bottle jack. So we called Good Sam. If we'd had a floor jack like I used to carry then I could have changed it myself.

I would think a 3-ton jack would be enough.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:09 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have an aluminum ramp to drive up on and this works well but takes up more space than a bottle jack but more stable. This is just for emergencies though as we generally just let Good Sam do it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:59 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We don't do tires .but do have 2 6 ton bottle jacks on board and hope we never will use them..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Sounds like Good Sams is way to go. They send so many mails and I think I would go broke if I bought everything they sent.. Thanks to all for the info..
Montana_5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
If you get stuck, sayyyyy, 150 miles out in the middle of nowhere (would that be Alaska??) and say, your truck breaks down, they will tow/flatbed the truck to the closest approved repair facility and they will take/tow the 5er to a campground if needbe. That service alone and the peace of mind is worth what we pay, isn't it about $100.00?? It covers ALL towing and flatbedding of ALL cars/trucks/vans we own. We have had a good return on our coin paid out over the years (not sure if that is a good thing or not, as that means we have been locked out, broken down, flat tires, etc.). It was great for me the day I had a flat, by myself, and believe me, Al may change a tire, but ole Carol ain't a gonna, and have no idea how anyway. Anyway, had the flat, out in the middle of some farm land in Washtenaw County, on a back road, and I called for assistance, and within 30 minutes the truck was there and shortly after that, I was on my way. It was a 95 degree 90% humidity day and I was dressed in white dress pants. Good Sam came to the rescue.

We have had the coverage for years, and they even towed the ole van and TT out of our own back yard when they sank in to the axles (was a DUH moment, and wet weather and parked right over a septic field we did not know was there, we had just moved into the house). Anyway, I called, Al said, no way will they tow us out of our own yard, I called anyway, and asked, and the gal hardly missed a beat, said, yep!! I even called her back and said you better send something real big cause you are gonna have to haul out both at the same time, and they did! The guy they sent was GOOD at his job, pulled the van and TT out about 1 foot, let us fill in a deep rut and then pulled it out the rest of the way. If he had pulled it 2 foot we would have ripped off the holding tanks! Yep, he was GOODDD!!!

Yep, we have had for a long time, and we keep paying that bill every year. Has been worth it for us.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Another service to check out is Coach-net. I have had need to use them twice on route. They found me out in the uncharted boondocks and changed the second on the side of the freeway. Excellent job both times. I do carry two 8-ton bottle jacks just in case I am somewhere out of the range for calling the road service and must do it myself.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:49 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Like the majority we have Good Sam ERS.
On the way north this spring, we did discover we had picked up a screw in Georgia and were able to get into a tire shop to get the spare put on. The shop wanted to plug the tire but I told them to stick their plug where the sun don't shine and waited until I got to my brothers shop in PA and made the repair myself.

BTW- I also carry a 12 ton bottle jack just in case.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:50 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Camping World ERS and Good Sam ERS are both from the Affinity Road & Travel Club, Inc. Both services are hard to tell apart--both about $89.95/year. You can't go wrong with either one. Service from both are impossible to beat.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Michael,
I carry a 12 ton jack with me when traveling. I prefer to change the tire rather than wait for road service.
You might consider carrying blocks that are placed in front or behind the flat tire. Then slowly pull forward until the good tire is on the block. Assuming the flat is on the rear. This will lift the flat tire off the surface in order for you to change it. Consider breaking the lug nuts loose while the flat tire is on the ground and tighten the nuts after coming off the blocks.
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #12
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I have never been clear on WHERE one places the bottle jack if you do have to jack up the Monty.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with Bill. I'm kinda fuzzy on this exact placement, also (I can hear possible comments to that racing through many of your minds right now). Is there anyway we could get someone to take a pic of this placement?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #14
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
A picture would be great!!!

I just purchased the Trailer Aid from Camping World (the little ramp that you pull up on so that the flat tire is off the ground). If it works as advertised, it seems to be a much better alternative than jacking. Good Sam's ERS is still my first choice.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bill, that's what I originally wanted to do, but someone on the forum here pointed out that putting all the weigth of that side of the trailer on the one good tire - which is not rated for that much weight - could be a little tricky...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #16
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
OK, it looks like this group is sold on the Good Sam Road Service. I have AAA RV service but, fortunately, have not had to use it. Does anyone have any experience with the AAA service? I would hate to find out they can't really handle RV's in the middle of a crisis.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #17
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I too have the Trailer Aid, always wanted to try it before I used it in an emergency situation. I can't believe that for the couple of minutes that you would have the trailer up would cause tire damage to the good tire.

Has anyone used this thing?
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:29 AM   #18
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
OK, I'm with John and Dorothy above. I have AAA + which specifically includes RV. I have only used it once and that was for a tire repair which I had already removed and took to the repair facility in Pensacola, FL.

I, too, would be interested to hear from any of you who have had experiences (good or bad) with AAA and towing or repair of your RV.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:17 AM   #19
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

I too have the Trailer Aid, always wanted to try it before I used it in an emergency situation. I can't believe that for the couple of minutes that you would have the trailer up would cause tire damage to the good tire.

Has anyone used this thing?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It did not hurt mine.

Have a good day!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:26 AM   #20
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I have had two flats, and just run the rig up on the good tire using leveling blocks. It gets the flat up high enough to change it with no problems so far. Hope I never have to change another one, though!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote